Already have an IT degree but want certs.

RenewedRenewed Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm aware that there are similar threads but most I've found are for people who are looking to switch into IT or don't have a degree already.

I have a B.S. in Computer Information Technology already from a well-known university. The issue I'm having with that is that my plan of study was rather broad and what we did specialize in, I'm not particularly interested in. I'd like to focus on either Network Administration or Security instead. I have some limited knowledge on both.

Right now I'm debating whether to get the proper certification for either such as the COMPTIA Security and probably self-study or take a class at a community college to prep for it. That brings additional issues as there are a lot of options but costs can be a bit high and I'm not sure if it's really worth paying or better to learn on my own.

Another route is to see if I can land a very entry-level position related to either of these fields and see if I can develop my skills there without having to get certified as I tend to pick up things quickly and like I said, I already have a background in IT, just not too knowledgeable in those particular aspects.

Would appreciate some advice from others on here in the field or who have been in a similar predicament as myself.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I honestly think your best bet and most bang for your buck and time would go towards the CCNA. Getting the CCNA would be a huge boost for landing a network specific position and it sure the heck wouldn't hurt for a security position. That's my two cents.
  • boobobobobobboobobobobob Member Posts: 118
    I don't believe you'll find a entry level network or security job without some certs under your belt. I agree with N2IT, the CCNA is probably your best bet. I'm not sure about now, but when i got out of college it was almost impossible to go straight into a networking position no matter now low level it was. Everyone started as a computer tech and had to grind their way up (i also have a CS degree from a good school).
  • PolynomialPolynomial Member Posts: 365
    Missing the most important aspect here-

Work experience?
  • RenewedRenewed Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've only dealt with small business networking setups while doing freelance work during college and it was pretty low-end stuff like connecting a couple of computers etc then after I graduated worked for a small company doing tech support (technically "entry-level" but there was no one above me so I had to deal with everything). Security wise, from my own projects I have dealt with some issues when it comes to web related environments but nothing serious either.
  • YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    My two cents:

Even with a degree, you're going to be looking at entry levelish gigs until you get some specialized education under your belt; be it self-study or formal training, you should determine what you like, and dive in. If it's networking, Cisco is an extremely marketable way to start. 4 year degree + CCNA is an excellent way to get that network admin job you want.

Regarding CompTIA - Don't spend a dime on actual training, unless you absolutely need it. CompTIA certifications will not bring any ROI if you pay for bloated technical bootcamps. Search Amazon for the most well-reviewed CompTIA self-study books and start grinding away.

Good luck! Sounds like you have a great start.
  • KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    I would go for CCNA. The knowledge you get from studying for it will be useful in no matter which direction you will go, be it sysadmin, VOIP or security. Plus it is very marketable.
  • RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    No reason to pick a specialty directly at this point. Try a couple of avenues out. Networking and security do go quite well together. You can start down the Cisco path, but keep other options open. If you do consider security, start with the Sec+ (get Darril Gibson's book and read it cover-to-cover) and think about getting the CISSP if you're really into it. You can combine security with another discipline and be pretty well off if you enjoy it.
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Many of the topics covered in Sec+ assumes you have some knowledge of networking. As others have stated, CCENT/CCNA seems like the right path for you.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman