Options

What's the current state of WAN for companies?

workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
I want to know what is the current state of WAN connectivities at big companies?

The Cisco NetAcad material talks about leased lines, ISDN, Frame Relay, and ATM. Besides them, there is Cable and DSL connection to the Internet that home users like me are familiar with. The Cisco NetAcad material says X.25 is old and almost no one use it anymore in the US.

So what goes on these days? Does a stay-home worker run a VPN client to connect to his workstation at work or his company's email server?

How does a company branch connects to another branch? Leased line? Through the Internet?

How does a Chase credit card transaction at a restaurant at Downtown New York reaches Chase?

Comments

• Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    We have leased T1/T3 lines for out remote offices. VPN devices from our WAN provider for remote users.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Usually these days business are going for ethernet handoffs with some flavor of MPLS service depending on number of sites and connectivity needs.

Remote users are usually going to have a VPN client of some kind on their laptop and connect to the companies network that way from home or the road.

Branches are mostly connected by MPLS service these days.

Credit card transactions work like anything else on the internet. The terminal connects securly back to a server of sorts over the internet and the transactions are processed.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    ^ +1 for networker050184. Most businesses are indeed using MPLS services these days.

As far as remote users, a VPN client coming in through either a VPN Conentrator or an ASA. Also, Citirx is another popular method.

Credit Card transcations do traverse the internet and they are tunneled, typically VPN with IPSEC.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • Options
    lsud00dlsud00d Member Posts: 1,571
    Other remote access options include terminal servers and Microsoft's Direct Access technology. DA is actually pretty cool, have been working with it recently!
  • Options
    workfrom925workfrom925 Member Posts: 196
    TechGuy215 wrote: »
    ^ +1 for networker050184. Most businesses are indeed using MPLS services these days.

As far as remote users, a VPN client coming in through either a VPN Conentrator or an ASA. Also, Citirx is another popular method.

Credit Card transcations do traverse the internet and they are tunneled, typically VPN with IPSEC.

In which curriculum do you learn about MPLS? CCNP?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    To get deep into it you will need to go down the service provider track.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    I've seen a lot more GRE than MPLS connected branches. Big ones are typically DMVPN deployments. Depends on the industry, I suppose.

Regarding WAN connectivity at big companies. Depends on how big, and how much of their business relies on IT. Some lease traditional circuits (though, those typically aren't FR or ATM anymore, just a PWE3 pseudowire, some use MPLS based services... but the Googles and Amazons are either leasing lambdas or fiber.

For the teleworkers, the two most common are IPSec or SSL VPNs. SSL is becoming more common. IPSec is still more prevalent, could be from a laptop or a small router.
  • Options
    WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    Does a stay-home worker run a VPN client to connect to his workstation at work or his company's email server?
    I use the Cisco AnyConnect VPN software client, which creates an SSL* tunnel with a VPN concentrator (Cisco ASA 5585).

Interestingly enough, the older version of the software client used IPSec. Not sure why they switched from IPSec to SSL.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I see alot of T1 lines [at major companies], including multiple bonded T1s (One business had 6 T1s connected to 2 routers). Don't know what protocols they're running though (PPP, Frame Relay, MPLS, Something Else) since I only installed the hardware (Router, UPS, and Dial-In Access Server) and connected the cables, while someone else Dialed in and configured it remotely.

For smaller companies, DSL or even Dial-Up [in some rare cases]. A few months back, I setup some new equipment for a small business that had just upgraded from Dial-Up to DSL. It was strange seeing a 56K Modem connected by a Serial cable after all these years.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]