Options

ICND 1 vs ICND 2 topics

NetworkingJunkieNetworkingJunkie Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been trying really hard in revision for the CCNA, I'm looking to take it in parts but am not sure which topics are covered in each exam since there are changes and I have been learning from books that cover all the topics without distinction. The following topics are those that I have covered in books, please can someone tell me which would be covered in ICND 1 and which in ICND 2.
OSI model and TCP/IP
Ethernet and cabling
Subnetting
VLSM
Cisco IOS
Routing
Switching
VLAN
Security
NAT
Wireless
IPv6
WAN

Comments

• Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    Sounds like you're most likely using Todd Lammle's book (as Odom's is divided). For Todd's book based on the 7th edition, the following would be the division:

ICND1 Chapters:
    1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16

ICND2 Chapters
    5, 6, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16

Here are the (retiring) exam blue prints:

ICND1

Describe the operation of data networks

• Describe the purpose and functions of various network devices
    • Select the components required to meet a given network specification
    • Use the OSI and TCP/IP models and their associated protocols to explain how data flows in a network
    • Describe common networking applications including web applications
    • Describe the purpose and basic operation of the protocols in the OSI and TCP models
    • Describe the impact of applications (Voice Over IP and Video Over IP) on a network
    • Interpret network diagrams
    • Determine the path between two hosts across a network
    • Describe the components required for network and Internet communications
    • Identify and correct common network problems at layers 1, 2, 3 and 7 using a layered model approach
    • Differentiate between LAN/WAN operation and features

Implement a small switched network

• Select the appropriate media, cables, ports, and connectors to connect switches to other network devices and hosts
    • Explain the technology and media access control method for Ethernet technologies
    • Explain network segmentation and basic traffic management concepts
    • Explain the operation of Cisco switches and basic switching concepts
    • Perform, save and verify initial switch configuration tasks including remote access management
    • Verify network status and switch operation using basic utilities (including: ping, traceroute,telnet,SSH,arp, ipconfig), SHOW & DEBUG commands
    • Implement and verify basic security for a switch (port security, deactivate ports)
    • Identify, prescribe, and resolve common switched network media issues, configuration issues, autonegotiation, and switch hardware failures

Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP services to meet network requirements for a small branch office

• Describe the need and role of addressing in a network " Create and apply an addressing scheme to a network
    • Assign and verify valid IP addresses to hosts, servers, and networking devices in a LAN environment
    • Explain the basic uses and operation of NAT in a small network connecting to one ISP
    • Describe and verify DNS operation
    • Describe the operation and benefits of using private and public IP addressing
    • Enable NAT for a small network with a single ISP and connection using SDM and verify operation using CLI and ping
    • Configure, verify and troubleshoot DHCP and DNS operation on a router.(including: CLI/SDM)
    • Implement static and dynamic addressing services for hosts in a LAN environment
    • Identify and correct IP addressing issues

Implement a small routed network

• Describe basic routing concepts (including: packet forwarding, router lookup process)
    • Describe the operation of Cisco routers (including: router bootup process, POST, router components)
    • Select the appropriate media, cables, ports, and connectors to connect routers to other network devices and hosts
    • Configure, verify, and troubleshoot RIPv2
    • Access and utilize the router CLI to set basic parameters
    • Connect, configure, and verify operation status of a device interface
    • Verify device configuration and network connectivity using ping, traceroute, telnet, SSH or other utilities
    • Perform and verify routing configuration tasks for a static or default route given specific routing requirements
    • Manage IOS configuration files (including: save, edit, upgrade, restore)
    • Manage Cisco IOS
    • Implement password and physical security
    • Verify network status and router operation using basic utilities (including: ping, traceroute,telnet,SSH,arp, ipconfig), SHOW & DEBUG commands

Explain and select the appropriate administrative tasks required for a WLAN

• Describe standards associated with wireless media (including: IEEE WI-FI Alliance, ITU/FCC)
    • Identify and describe the purpose of the components in a small wireless network. (including: SSID, BSS, ESS)
    • Identify the basic parameters to configure on a wireless network to ensure that devices connect to the correct access point
    • Compare and contrast wireless security features and capabilities of WPA security (including: open, WEP, WPA-1/2)
    • Identify common issues with implementing wireless networks

Identify security threats to a network and describe general methods to mitigate those threats

• Explain today's increasing network security threats and the need to implement a comprehensive security policy to mitigate the threats
    • Explain general methods to mitigate common security threats to network devices, hosts, and applications
    • Describe the functions of common security appliances and applications
    • Describe security recommended practices including initial steps to secure network devices

Implement and verify WAN links

• Describe different methods for connecting to a WAN
    • Configure and verify a basic WAN serial connection

ICND2

Configure, verify and troubleshoot a switch with VLANs and interswitch communications

• Describe enhanced switching technologies (including: VTP, RSTP, VLAN, PVSTP, 802.1q)
    • Describe how VLANs create logically separate networks and the need for routing between them
    • Configure, verify, and troubleshoot VLANs
    • Configure, verify, and troubleshoot trunking on Cisco switches
    • Configure, verify, and troubleshoot interVLAN routing
    • Configure, verify, and troubleshoot VTP
    • Configure, verify, and troubleshoot RSTP operation
    • Interpret the output of various show and debug commands to verify the operational status of a Cisco switched network
    • Implement basic switch security (including: port security, unassigned ports, trunk access, etc.)

Implement an IP addressing scheme and IP Services to meet network requirements in a medium-size Enterprise branch office network

• Calculate and apply a VLSM IP addressing design to a network
    • Determine the appropriate classless addressing scheme using VLSM and summarization to satisfy addressing requirements in a LAN/WAN environment
    • Describe the technological requirements for running IPv6 (including: protocols, dual stack, tunneling, etc)
    • Describe IPv6 addresses
    • Identify and correct common problems associated with IP addressing and host configurations

Configure and troubleshoot basic operation and routing on Cisco devices

• Compare and contrast methods of routing and routing protocols
    • Configure, verify and troubleshoot OSPF
    • Configure, verify and troubleshoot EIGRP
    • Verify configuration and connectivity using ping, traceroute, and telnet or SSH
    • Troubleshoot routing implementation issues
    • Verify router hardware and software operation using SHOW & DEBUG commands
    • Implement basic router security

Implement, verify, and troubleshoot NAT and ACLs in a medium-size Enterprise branch office network

• Describe the purpose and types of access control lists
    • Configure and apply access control lists based on network filtering requirements
    • Configure and apply an access control list to limit telnet and SSH access to the router
    • Verify and monitor ACL's in a network environment
    • Troubleshoot ACL implementation issues
    • Explain the basic operation of NAT
    • Configure Network Address Translation for given network requirements using CLI
    • Troubleshoot NAT implementation issues

Implement and verify WAN links

• Configure and verify Frame Relay on Cisco routers
    • Troubleshoot WAN implementation issues
    • Describe VPN technology (including: importance, benefits, role, impact, components)
    • Configure and verify PPP connection between Cisco routers
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□

OLD
    OLD
    NEW
    NEW

Topic
    ICND1
    ICND2
    ICND1
    ICND2

OSI Model and TCP/IP
    YES
    ---
    YES
    ---

Ethernet and cabling
    YES
    ---
    YES
    ---

Subnetting
    YES

YES

YES

YES

VLSM
    NO
    YES
    YES?
    ---

Cisco IOS
    YES

YES

YES

YES

Routing
    Static
    RIPv1
    RIPv2
    Distance-Vector Loop Prevention

OSPFv2
    EIGRP
    Static
    OSPFv2
    OSPFv3
    EIGRP
    EIGRPv6?

Switching
    Device Selection
    How a Switch Works
    Port Security

STP
    RSTP
    MST
    VLANs
    Device Selection
    How a Switch Works
    Port Security

STP
    RSTP
    MST
    VLANs

VLAN
    NO
    Creation
    VTPv1
    VTPv2
    DTP
    Creation?
    DTP?
    ???

Security
    Passwords
    Port Security

Standard ACLs
    Extended ACLs
    Passwords
    Port Security
    ACLs
    ???

NAT
    Using SDM
    Using CLI
    Static NAT
    Dynamic NAT
    NAT Overload (PAT)
    Outside/Inside
    Local/Global
    Using CLI
    Static NAT
    Dynamic NAT
    NAT Overload (PAT)
    Outside/Inside
    Local/Global

???

Wireless
    US and International Standards

Protocols
    Security
    NO
    NO

NO

WAN
    PPP
    HDLC
    PPP
    HDLC
    Frame Relay
    Same as Old?
    PPP
    HDLC
    Frame Relay
    MetroE
    VSAT
    3G/4G
    etc...

IPv6
    NO
    YES
    YES
    YES

Note that some topics from ICND1 may carry over to ICND2 unless otherwise noted with a "NO". There might also be some subtopics that I missed.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    Thank you so much guys, I can't wait to pass, need to pass before end of September as I think more changes are coming into effect.
  • Options
    Both posters have given conflicting information based on the book I'm using. I'm taking exam before new changes at the end of September though wondering what you mean by old and new, is old pre end of September changes or changes that have already been implemented. Sorry for the trouble, still confused.
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Both posters have given conflicting information based on the book I'm using. I'm taking exam before new changes at the end of September though wondering what you mean by old and new, is old pre end of September changes or changes that have already been implemented. Sorry for the trouble, still confused.

"Old" [for me] means 640-822 and 640-816. These are the exams that you can take up until October 1. "New" are the 100-101 and 200-101 exams which you can take anytime. After September 30, the "Old" exams will no longer be available.

BTW, I took the "Old" exams...so my information for the "New" exams is based strictly on what I remember from the exam blueprint.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195

It would help to know what books you are using ?, to be able to advise better. My post and blue prints refer to the "retiring" exams, so they should be relevant.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    I'm using lammles 7th edition. Thank you for mentioning qualification numbers, should help clear things up.
  • Options
    NetworkProNetworkPro Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys,

Wish me luck. I have studied hard for the last few months and am going to take the CCENT 640-822 ICND1 exam on the 29th of August, 2013 so that I can try and pass before the exam changes on the 30th of September. What are some resources that you all have found helpful for crunch time preparing right before the CCENT ICND1 exam? I'm doing practice tests, CBT nuggest and INE.com Videos, Todd Lammles book, etc. looking for other things that might help in final prep mode as well. Thanks!!!
  • Options
    sixtytensixtyten Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info guys. I'm also studying for the ICDN2 with Lammle's book and I'm having a little difficulty staying on track and knowing which topics to cover. My goal is to study HEAVILY on topics like ACL, VLSM, VLAN, IP6, WAN, NAT, RIP,OSPF, and EIGRP. I have my test scheduled for Sept 18th.

I'm using Todd Lammle's CCNA 7th edition, CBT Nuggets (to get a general overview of a topic) and Packet Tracer to do labs.