Started a new position recently, but thinking of leaving.

GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
It appears that new noc job that I've been on for a few weeks isn't what I thought it would be. When I initially interviewed for this position the recruiter and the manager said that there would be some troubleshooting involved.

As it turns out, there is no troubleshooting involved and I spend most of the day with just monitoring the client network along with just escalating application account issues to engineering teams. Some days I feel like banging my head into the wall with boredom and would rather find something more "challenging".

I'm considering applying for other opportunities and just leaving this job off my resume. What do you think?

Comments

• gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How long is a few weeks? Is this your first NOC opportunity? Are there any opportunities within the company to move up after some time there?
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you, dare I say, asked someone if you can do more? Can you backup that request with excellent work, documentation, accuracy and deliverable's?

Careful when you hit the wasps nest.

~
    :twisted:
  • epcgepcg Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well I would try to talk to the manager first. But if you are not happy and its not what they told you it was then keep looking and move on. Also on the resume thats your call. If you can get a job quick then leave it off. But if you work there a few months then put it on.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Gorby - firstly, congratulations on landing a NOC job! Secondly, don't be discouraged if, during your first three weeks on the job, your employee doesn't give you free rein with the CLI - they don't know you nor your capabilities, so just work with them and show your worth and you will be rewarded in time. Some of us, myself included, would love the opportunity of even sweeping the floor in a NOC - I just need that little toehold to claw my way into networking - so, consider yourself extremely lucky that you have such an opportunity. After a year, if you don't see any progress, then you may start looking elsewhere! Good luck and Godspeed!
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
    I've been here for about a month and a half so far. I've been asking for more to do since I've gotten down everything pretty much and recieved praise for my efficiency from management. I was able to automate all the reports for the whole team which while good pretty much leaves me with long work days of just..staring at Solarwinds. I haven't seen much promotion opportunity here by just asking around, my manager says there's always a possiblity though but I haven't spoken to any engineers that actually moved from the noc here.
  • GorbyGorby Member Posts: 141
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    @Gorby - firstly, congratulations on landing a NOC job! Secondly, don't be discouraged if, during your first three weeks on the job, your employee doesn't give you free rein with the CLI - they don't know you nor your capabilities, so just work with them and show your worth and you will be rewarded in time. Some of us, myself included, would love the opportunity of even sweeping the floor in a NOC - I just need that little toehold to claw my way into networking - so, consider yourself extremely lucky that you have such an opportunity. After a year, if you don't see any progress, then you may start looking elsewhere! Good luck and Godspeed!

Thanks, I thought it would be a little more involved than just monitoring though. It seems like the CLI task are handled by engineers in a different building so my worry was that I would never be ble to even get that far and it would cripple me in my career progress.
  • MickQMickQ Member Posts: 628 ■■■■□□□□□□
    In all fairness Gorby, if you only have N+ and CCENT you can't be expected to do a CCNP/IE's work. These will come with experience gained in the trenches. Just stick with it (dull as it is for now) and keep your ears open around those who are more experienced. Listen to their advice and ask them networking questions.
    You have to start somewhere and the NOC is a good place. The rest takes time and effort.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Low pressure environment to get you feet wet. I'd stick it out for a year or two before moving on.
  • IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Gorby - also, if it is allowed at your workplace, try to spend all that downtime getting your CCNA and then your CCNP!
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Ivanjam wrote: »
    @Gorby - also, if it is allowed at your workplace, try to spend all that downtime getting your CCNA and then your CCNP!

This was my first thought, if its allowed I would read every CCNA/CCNP book you can get your paws on while getting paid to work. Lemons into lemonade man!
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Agree with Ivan great place to pick up your CCNA while gaining experience.