Options

Cisco 2950 switch, would it come with IOS installed?

nopixelnopixel Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been looking at purchasing a "new" Cisco 2950 switch. Whether it's new or not, I don't know but it looks in good condition. Would these routers typically come with IOS pre-installed from the factory? Or do they come "bare" requiring the licensed customer to install the latest version?

I'm just wondering if I should avoid purchasing it because it's new, therefore would have no IOS installed. I'm pretty new to IOS so still trying to wrap my head around the "older" licensing methods.

Thanks!
2018 goal: CCNA Collaboration - B]210-060[/B

Comments

• Options
    powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    It will have IOS installed. You only pay when you want additional features or support (including software upgrades).
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    It should come with IOS installed. Whether it's the last version that came out for that particular model of switch is another story entirely....
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Switches are one of the few devices that Cisco allows you to download IOS for without a SmartNet Contract. They even require SmartNet to get firmware [to make it work with a different router than the last one it was used with] for an IP Phone for crying out loud. You can download the latest IOS if the switch doesn't come with it. One exception I should note: the EMI Image for the 3560 and 3750 require SmartNet. The SMI Image can be downloaded, though.

c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA14.bin (IOS Only)
    c2950-i6k2l2q4-tar.121-22.EA14.tar (IOS + Web Management)

I've only run into one instance when "working" switches came w/o IOS. I bought 2 x 2960-24TT-L and they came w/o IOS. I was annoyed, but when I checked the auction sure enough there it was hidden in the middle of the description "No OS". I downloaded c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE4.bin (the latest IOS for the 2960) from Cisco and loaded it via XModem, which was a bit slow, but unfortunately the only way that you can load IOS onto a switch with no IOS.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    nopixelnopixel Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    theodoxa wrote: »
    Switches are one of the few devices that Cisco allows you to download IOS for without a SmartNet Contract. They even require SmartNet to get firmware [to make it work with a different router than the last one it was used with] for an IP Phone for crying out loud. You can download the latest IOS if the switch doesn't come with it. One exception I should note: the EMI Image for the 3560 and 3750 require SmartNet. The SMI Image can be downloaded, though.

c2950-i6k2l2q4-mz.121-22.EA14.bin (IOS Only)
    c2950-i6k2l2q4-tar.121-22.EA14.tar (IOS + Web Management)

I've only run into one instance when "working" switches came w/o IOS. I bought 2 x 2960-24TT-L and they came w/o IOS. I was annoyed, but when I checked the auction sure enough there it was hidden in the middle of the description "No OS". I downloaded c2960-lanbasek9-mz.150-2.SE4.bin (the latest IOS for the 2960) from Cisco and loaded it via XModem, which was a bit slow, but unfortunately the only way that you can load IOS onto a switch with no IOS.

Thanks theo, I had no idea you could download IOS for switches without a contract! I'm assuming its free then?

That makes my switch purchasing much easier.
    2018 goal: CCNA Collaboration - B]210-060[/B
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nopixel wrote: »
    Thanks theo, I had no idea you could download IOS for switches without a contract! I'm assuming its free then?

That makes my switch purchasing much easier.

Yep.

Cisco Systems

Switch IOS (except 3560/3750 EMI), CNA (Cisco Network Assistant), CCP (Cisco Configuration Professional), CCP Express, and SDM (Security Device Manager) are about the extent of what Cisco offers for free. One of the few things Cisco does right by us.

Now, if they would just start offering an Academic License for router [and 3560/3750 EMI] IOSes...though personally if they want to claim to be a software company, they ought to act like similar software companies, the best analogue being Apple [as they make both hardware and operating system.] Apple would be rightfully torn a new one if they tried even half of Cisco's BS on people buying used Macs and iPhones.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]