Options

Digi CM32 plugging in

gypsymage777gypsymage777 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just received a Digi CM32 and I am lost on how to get this connected to my PC. I have read through the forums, searched online for an embarrassing amount of time and I need to get back to my studies. Listing what I have tried will take too long, but the "reset factory settings" button perplexes me as it does not seem to do anything, no click or give on the button inside and no change of lights. I have heard of the Digi International 76000671 CM Cable Adapter, but it comes in a pack of 8 for almost $50 and why would I need 8 anyway if I can use a regular Cat5 to connect from the unit to my routers/switches? I know nothing about making my own cables and do not have the equipment. I am lost as to where exactly I need to plug in on my computer (usb? my home router? get another network card? buy a serial DB9 card?) and what kind of wire in between (straight thru? crossover? do I have to resort on making my own?) I am guessing I have the option to connect through Ethernet or the console port on the digi? I'm sorry to be such a noob, but I have made quite an effort to figure this out and being stuck on something as simple as connecting one port to another with what hardware is contributing absolutely nothing in studying for my CCNA. I just want a terminal server to make things easier is all.

Comments

• Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    1) Put the digi cm32 device in the same subnet as your pc and connect your pc to the digi cm32.
    2) Connect the digi cm32 to all of your devices via straight through cables
    3) Connect to the web interface of the digi cm32 and configure ports accordingly
    4) Open putty and connect to the digi cm32
    5) Viola :)

There is a very helpful manual on the digi cm32 online. Look at the quick start portion of it. The rest of the guide is pretty much useless for home lab use.
  • Options
    gypsymage777gypsymage777 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I have the quick start guide and manual. I'm just stuck on what cable to use and what port to use on my PC. The subnet information is something I missed in my research, so that part does help.