Options

Start with CCENT or CCNA?

sharpy56sharpy56 Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi All,

Just wanting some help from you guys that have sat these courses already. I have done very little with Cisco gear, but want to learn to help my career (we have lots of Cisco gear we manage). I'd be starting from scratch with only knowing about 5 Cisco commands to do basic tasks.

So the question is CCENT or CCNA first? I saw that CCNA is now split into two exams?

Also with these exams does it go into networking knowledge or does it expect you to already know this?

Comments

• Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    If you don't have experience in networking, it is probably better for you to go for the two-exam route by taking ICND1 (CCENT) and then ICND2 (CCNA: Routers and Switches). Since you have your Net+ certification, just grab a book and study for the CCENT/CCNA. Look into Odom or Lammle's books. Just remember to get the books for the new exams 100-101 and 200-101 since the old ones are expiring soon. If you are really confident and want do do the one exam route then go for the 200-120 CCNAX exam.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I saw that CCNA is now split into two exams?
    That's nothing new. This has been the way it is for a long, long time.
    So the question is CCENT or CCNA first?
    There's no option to take CCNA before CCENT. That's like asking, "Do I graduate from high school or college first?"

First, you learn the ICND1 material. Second, you learn the ICND2 material. Your options are to (1) take the ICND1 and ICND2 exams separately or (2) take the combined ICND1/ICND2 exam. Both give you the same CCNA credential.

Of course, you could also stop after passing ICND1, if you're content with a CCENT.
  • Options
    JimehbooJimehboo Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□

First, you learn the ICND1 material. Second, you learn the ICND2 material. Your options are to (1) take the ICND1 and ICND2 exams separately or (2) take the combined ICND1/ICND2 exam. Both give you the same CCNA credential.

After passing the ICND1 & 2 is the CCNA credential you earn CCNA:routing and switching?

I'm in a similar situation and was looking at the 200-120 as another option instead of the ICND1/2. DissonantData pretty much explained it well. However I might just take the two test route anyway to learn the material better.

200-120 CCNA - Link
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Jimehboo wrote: »
    After passing the ICND1 & 2 is the CCNA credential you earn CCNA:routing and switching?
    Yes, CCNA R&S.
  • Options
    Sy KosysSy Kosys Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
    FWIW:

I went to school last year at a junior college to get my arse certified and get out of the break/fix side of technology. Spent 8 months there, two days a week, 5hrs each day, and passed the coursework with high marks. All that was the prep work for the actual certification exam. Feeling confident and not wanting to test twice, i scheduled the composite (640-802) exam and used my 75% off discount voucher.

Ran out of time (90mins) on Q48 of 50, final score was 804, and obviously did not pass.

Has taken its toll on me mentally, i thought for sure i'd get it after such a long productive road traveled. That was September 2012. Picked up the books again in December/January, but wasn't feeling it anymore. Found my happy place, bought a kegger of Zen, and bought Odom's new books on the ICND 1 & 2 exams (no sense in wasting $$ on old material with the exam changes lol).

Read, studied, and daily quizzes on (a different testing/exam website) helped me nail 899 on the ICND1 exam last month, wahoo! Got #2 in literally 48hrs haha and am nervously eager to finally get this failuremonkey off my back.

Long story short, from my personal experience I would love to go back in time and split up the exams. Not only could i have been halfway there ( i just know i coulda passed the CCENT by itself), but also saved a bunch of money with the retesting and new books since.

Just a suggestion, it's your preference and all that, but all things considered i think the 2-exam path is a better way to go overall.

Hope you pass, and best of luck to ya!

PS> Odom's new books, ICND1 100-101 and ICND2 200-101, have been remarkably helpful in my studies. I first bought Lammle's book last year (6th edition) and it was kinda tough to fight through his personality, plus some of the diagrams/examples were referenced 40 pages later adding to some odd page-flipping confusion. Odom's books were cheapest thru Amazon, $26 and $24 respectively (1 and 2), but purchasing #2 first then realizing i should also get #1 (both bought after my recent CCENT exam) meant i spent almost $15 more than the composite 200-120 book. HTH
    "The size of your dreams must always exceed your current capacity to achieve them. If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough.”
    ― Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
  • Options
    JimehbooJimehboo Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Sy Kosys for the advice. I think I will go the two exam route (100-101 and 200-101).

I was also trying to decide on what books to get so I'm glad you posted.

If I get Odom's 100-101 and 200-101 book is there any reason to get the 200-120 book as well?

Or would just Odom's 200-120 book be enough to pass the ICND1 & 2? I don't mind getting all three if needed.

I'll mostly likely be looking in to using CBT Nuggets along with these books.
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jimehboo wrote: »
    Thanks Sy Kosys for the advice. I think I will go the two exam route (100-101 and 200-101).

I was also trying to decide on what books to get so I'm glad you posted.

If I get Odom's 100-101 and 200-101 book is there any reason to get the 200-120 book as well?

Or would just Odom's 200-120 book be enough to pass the ICND1 & 2? I don't mind getting all three if needed.

I'll mostly likely be looking in to using CBT Nuggets along with these books.

Odom doesn't sell a single 200-120 book. He has the 200-120 library, which is just the 100-101 and 200-101 sold as a package. He has a well laid out reading plan where you alternate between the 2 books during your study in the case you are interested in taking the 200-120 exam. Each book stands-alone as great books as well. But only with both will you cover all the topics.
  • Options
    DissonantDataDissonantData Member Posts: 158
    Suppose you obtain the CCENT through ICND1, which I assume expires after three years. If you decide to take ICND2 about two years later, would that mean the CCNA will expire three years from the date obtained? This is probably an interesting "loophole" in the system where you can keep the CCENT for a certain period and then take the CCNA, thus holding on to the cisco certs for a longer period of time.
  • Options
    Sy KosysSy Kosys Member Posts: 105 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Suppose you obtain the CCENT through ICND1, which I assume expires after three years. If you decide to take ICND2 about two years later, would that mean the CCNA will expire three years from the date obtained? This is probably an interesting "loophole" in the system where you can keep the CCENT for a certain period and then take the CCNA, thus holding on to the cisco certs for a longer period of time.

Yes. Taking (and passing!) your CCNA/ICND2 two years after your CCENT will:
    1) Renew/refresh your CCENT, and
    2) Start BOTH certs with a fresh new 3year clock

CCENT Recertification - IT Certifications and Career Paths - Cisco Systems

As for CBTNuggets videos, Jeremy is the man! At my last job (well, before they "workforce reduction"'d me in June) i would be on cruise control fixing my laptops and such, while having the CBT videos playing on my workstation. I originally started watching them before getting Lammle's book, and before schooling last year. School was the best solution for me (emphasis on 'for me', YMMV lol) and i used the videos and book to supplement my reading. As mentioned before, i had a bit of a time dealing with Todd's personality in his book, so take that with a grain of salt ;)
    At any rate, i found the videos to be entertaining and not a chore to watch. They may be outdated (circa 2007 i think?) but the basics are still very much there. Near the end of my schooling, i wound up watching his CCNP videos because my school instructor was teaching us at a bit higher level than the CCNA so it was a good and relevant overview.
    Vids, books, and labs are a great combination. Each of Odom's books comes with a CD for some labbing and testing (45day trial of the Pearson IT Cert Practice Test engine on the enclosed CD) which is a huge plus. I dunno the legalities of Packet Tracer, meaning can you get a free copy from Cisco w/o going thru NetAcad, but PT was a big bonus too.

Lastly, i also recommend GNS (freeware) as a higher-end alternative to packet tracer, although you'll need to supply your own IOS images for that!

Anyways, i tend to ramble (ish) so sorry for that lol

OH! Last thing re: books....quite a few of us in the classes bought the CCNA Portable Command Guide
    CCNA Routing and Switching Portable Command Guide (3rd Edition): Scott Empson: 9781587204302: Amazon.com: Books

and 31 Days Before Your CCNA (or CCENT, they make that too) Exam
    31 Days Before Your CCNA Exam: A day-by-day review guide for the CCNA 640-802 exam (2nd Edition): Allan Johnson: 9781587131974: Amazon.com: Books

They're both supplementary books, lightly touching each CCENT/CCNA exam topic. And i mean LIGHT. Still, is pretty cheap and a respectable condensing of the other tomes.

Ok, Im done, promise ;)
    "The size of your dreams must always exceed your current capacity to achieve them. If your dreams do not scare you, they are not big enough.”
    ― Ellen Johnson Sirleaf