Options

FLASH vs NVRAM save locations?

JLAW904JLAW904 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm a little confused about this chapter regarding saving and restoring your startup-config file. The book says to backup your startup-config use a command like this:
copy startup-config flash:config.bak1

Restore it with this:
copy flash:config.bak1 startup-config

But then in the next section dealing with backing up to a TFTP server, the command goes like this:
copy nvram:startup-config tftp:[[[//location]/directory]/filename]

And it says the formal version of copying the running-config to startup-config is:
copy system:running-config flash:startup-config

So why does one save it to flash and one save it to nvram? I thought the actual startup-config was run out of nvram, but if that's the case why is the last command I showed have you save the running-config to flash (same place the first backup command)? Are they the same thing or what? icon_silent.gif

Comments

• Options
    JLAW904JLAW904 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    And while I'm on the subject... If you have multiple backups, is there a command to show all the available backup files you have saved?
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    nvram:startup-config
    startup-config
    start

They all refer to exactly the same thing and are generally interchangable. I've never seen "system:" before, but I guess that must refer to DRAM since that's where "running-config" resides. I always just use "start" and "run".

copy run start
    copy run startup-config
    copy run nvram:startup-config
    copy running-config start
    copy running-config startup-config
    copy running-config nvram:startup-config

all mean the same thing.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    JLAW904 wrote: »
    And while I'm on the subject... If you have multiple backups, is there a command to show all the available backup files you have saved?

"show flash:" in IOS
    "dir flash:" in ROMMON
  • Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    Here is a bonus round for you, sorry no cookies.

Whats the difference between sup-bootdisk and sup-bootflash ?
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.
  • Options
    vanquish23 wrote: »
    Here is a bonus round for you, sorry no cookies.

Whats the difference between sup-bootdisk and sup-bootflash ?

Memory Guidance for Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches  [Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches] - Cisco Systems

I'm not familiar with those, but I found the above. They appear to be used on Service Provider type equipment.
  • Options
    vanquish23vanquish23 Member Posts: 224
    Correct, I have seen them on the Cisco 6500 LAN switches.
    He who SYNs is of the devil, for the devil has SYN'ed and ACK'ed from the beginning. For this purpose, that the ACK might destroy the works of the devil.