Do you ever...

bgold87bgold87 Member Posts: 112
Just browse job boards for jobs that are well above your level and apply just to see if you can get a shot? I'm looking to make a big jump in my career and so far I'm going to play the numbers game. I find positions that are what I WANT to be doing and in geographic areas I like and apply. Obviously I'm not going for architect level jobs, but ones I can really grow in. Might be scary at first, but once you get it then your set for those types of roles. I figure there's no harm and if I can get a call back I tend to do really well in interviews.

Just thought I'd see if anyone else takes this approach.

Comments

• MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I usually look, but never attempt to apply. Entering the job search again, I'm applying for jobs I may not necessarily qualify for, but never too high. I'm interviewing for some decently paid positions (in comparison to what I currently make) for my experience level.
  • TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I don't see anything wrong with shooting high as long as you can actually perform the tasks that are required. If you advertise yourself in your resume/interview with experience and/or skillsets that you don't have and get the job, you would absolutely get destroyed if you don't perform. I would consider it not to be a good idea, as it could be a waste of time and effort.

Only apply to jobs that match your skillset and experience, and that you are comfortable with being able to perform all requirements/duties to the highest level possible.

You have to earn a high-level job and salary with experience, performance, and a solid work-ethic.
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • dave330idave330i Member Posts: 2,091 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I make sure I have experience with many of the technical requirements. I ignore the years of experience requirement.
    2018 Certification Goals: Maybe VMware Sales Cert
    "Simplify, then add lightness" -Colin Chapman
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How far above your level are we talking? Got an example? Almost every IT job I've ever taken has been 1 step up in complexity, responsibility and salary.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • bgold87bgold87 Member Posts: 112
    I'm not talking about crazy above, but enough that would keep me busy learning for awhile. I would never advertise that I can do something that I can't. My resume highlights what I can do and have done, and I'll elaborate that in an interview. I've found that I pick things up pretty quick, and am tired of getting into an organization and outgrowing my position in 6 months to a year and waiting for create/get an oppurtunity to move forward. So I figure if the learning curve is heavy in the beginning, and the employer is willing to take a risk then it could be a great jump.
  • QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Why would you apply for a job that meets all your experience level? How will you ever grow? I don't switch jobs to the do the same thing again. I see nothing wrong with this as long as you meet ~80% of the requirements.
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bgold87 wrote: »
    Just browse job boards for jobs that are well above your level and apply just to see if you can get a shot?
    No, I tend to take roles near the limit of what I can achieve, but perhaps that's what you meant. :)
    Might be scary at first, but once you get it then your set for those types of roles. I figure there's no harm
    Getting in over your head and costing your employer and/or their customers millions of dollars can cause harm to your reputation. IT is a big industry, but it's not that big, and a demonstrated lack of good sense can follow you. Indeed, two people at my workplace attempted suicide in the past years, following highly-visible disappointments.
  • bgold87bgold87 Member Posts: 112
    @NetworkVeteran - Like I said I'm not shooting for Architect level, I'm not misrespresenting myself, I'm simply looking for a challenge. I like the way you put though, "take roles near the limit of what you can do." I should have led with that.

I just feel like if I'm only taking on slight challenges in way of my career then it's going to lead to tons of jobs and bouncing around. I read some of these threads where people take jobs and think their in over their heads, and get freaked out, but you dig in a learn it...inside and out. Right now I'm a Senior Desktop Support Engineer, but am performing as a mid-systems admin for my size company. I'm probably applying for positions that are a couple of levels above me, but I feel confident that I could cover it. I was just curious on other people's take.
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    That's pretty much exactly what I've done my entire career although I prefer only targeting specific companies that I believe would give me a shot.

The key lies in being honest about what you know and enthusiastic for an opportunity to fill in what you don't.
  • ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll apply to any role I can reasonably expect to be able to actually do. Lately, that means almost any infrastructure role that isn't deeply specialized in an area in which I'm not extremely strong. I see no point in applying to something I clearly wouldn't be able to do without significant training or studying. I similarly see no point in applying for a job that isn't above my current level, other than to close a massive pay gap. I also don't apply unless I'd actually be willing to change jobs.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340