Need Advice

shimabukushimabuku Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Currently taking the road to CCNP, finally. I met a friend a few days ago who is leasing space in a few buildings. The space came with Cisco equipment and is currently in use. I drew a diagram in Visio the best I could and was looking for advice regarding this current topology. He has two ISP's but is currently using only one. There are two extra 2621xm's and 6 WS-C3508G-XL. I was thinking of using one of the extra 2621xm's and doing HSRP between the 2911. If you take a look at the diagram there are a bunch of WS-C3550-48 switches hanging off the C2970G switch. Unfortunately there are no layer 3 switches. How would you layout this particular diagram given the two extra 2621xm's and six WS-C3508G-XL?

Current Design2.pdf

Comments

• azaghulazaghul Member Posts: 569 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First thing I'd look at is removing/reducing the points of failure....event though we are stuck with it at some of our sites (hospital campus with many outlying buildings), I really, really dislike daisy-chaining switches. Loose one and you loose everything down stream from it.

All those c3550's are L3 capable with the ipservices image, and have limited L3 with the ipbase image.

Redesign would also be dependant on what how many and what type of link (copper/fibre) between each location.
  • shimabukushimabuku Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks azaghul, should have looked at the 3550's a bit more. I will use a few of them as distribution switches and use hsrp.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah, reorganize the switches. Couple of distros should be fine, and moving that layer 2 switch closer to end devices instead of directly to the router.