Question for database guys on here....

alexander77alexander77 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've taken a few database class at my university and I enjoyed learning sql server. I am considering studying to be a database administrator. What skills and job experience should I obtain to be a skilled DBA?

Comments

• IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Databases is a thing where, you only get good at it, by doing it. So if you can somehow manage to get an Internship or a special project where your task is to create a good complex database, that should help with your experience. Like most IT, help desk is a way to go, but you could try aiming for a type of helpdesk, where you have to work more with MS Office type applications, sharepoint/exchange, excel. Those positions can lead into DBA roles. Keep up your self training, learn the different tools where it be Oracle or Mysql, also you can make sure you're proficient in sql, not just designing dbs but also the language that drives it.

DBAs are in high demand, one of the most in demand jobs and always will be. Getting certifications on sql server, oracle, and so forth can help.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Mostly agree with Ismael. One does not simply become a database administrator. I have found that most DBA's have development backgrounds. I'm sure some will argue and that's fine, but that is my experience. I work for a data company, that's what we do harvest and sell data back to industries. We have 4 DBA's that set up data marts and warehouses along with validation over the data consistently. Everyone of them spent time as a developer even if it was database development. They all can code in at least 1 language. None have certifications but they all have a ton of experience. I think your best bet would be to land an analyst position while learning to code. You could then shift from analyst to developer and then with a little luck and a lot of hard work get into administration and development. I would never trust a DBA who didn't have at least 5 years of SQL knowledge. No way in he!!
  • alexander77alexander77 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks, I'm going to try and shoot for software company that needs support analyst. Do you think I could get to a DBA role through a System's Admin role as well or should I stick with moving into a developer job?
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    I have found that most DBA's have development backgrounds. I'm sure some will argue and that's fine, but that is my experience.

So true, a big point I failed to mention.
  • AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I went the Systems Administrator route and then ended up taking a Big Data Systems Engineer job that is very much database oriented.

The easiest path seems to start as an analyst and move up but there are hundreds of different paths.
  • RoyalRavenRoyalRaven Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sysadmin roles can put you there, but likely not as fast as a dev path. The dbs are so dependent on servers, someone who can be talented in both areas is a real asset to maximizing the system's potential. The challenge I have run into is letting go of one for the other as both (sysadmin and dba) are really full-time jobs in and of themselves. Nothing wrong gaining the db comprehension either way - we all take different paths to get to a comfortable level of understanding. DB work is certainly not an (easy) entry point in IT due to the dependencies on other technologies/practices. You do also have to love doing analytical things to really have a passion for it.