Options

2nd IT gig: NOC technician in principle

gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
So...

I am being offered the opportunity to work in a NOC as a NOC tech. My first networking gig icon_lol.gif. The next meeting with the company will be with an offer letter next week. For the first 6 months, I'll work for the recruiting firm to be brought onboard afterwards. I am so stoked and can't believe it. I really wanted to get some experience in a NOC because I want my CCENT and future CCNA to have some weight.

The interview process was/is the longest I've ever dealt with. Phone screen, culture-based interview, technical interview and then paperwork meeting. Technically still not done but the next meeting is just all paperwork. The technical interview was all white-board for 1 and a half hours. Interviewer saw the CCENT on my resume and basically said "Prove it". "What command is used for this? What will be the destination MAC at this point? How many collision and broadcast domains are in this diagram? How would you subnet this diagram? How would you configure the router to ensure these two PCs (in two different VLANs) can communicate..." I won't say the process is extremely difficult but it's the first of its kind I've encountered.

I don't have a total absolute picture of my job duties, but it will basically be monitoring WAN's, Servers and Applications using SolarWinds Orion and HP Openview... Tier 1 troubleshooting, if I can't fix it, send it up to the Network Engineer.

I really want to thank everyone here at TE. You guys really don't know how much you're inspiring and pushing people to do more! Just last year I started my current role as a HDT and now I'm moving on to a NOC!

Thanks TE! icon_cool.gif
Goals for 2015: CCNP

Comments

• Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! Now make the most of the opportunity and learn as much as you can. Dont hesitate to do the small tasks, put your hand up whenver you can and ask for more work. That'll get you noticed and hopefully land you a promotion or interesting projects down the road.

And your right about TE inspiring people to do more. All me certs and career advancement were achieved because of TE too.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great news! and good luck !
  • Options
    santaownssantaowns Member Posts: 366
    Awesome, I am very close to a very similar position. Where are you located??
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    gadav478 wrote: »
    Thanks TE! icon_cool.gif

I congratulate you on working hard and moving forward.

Also, I just want to say that you made me think "Thanks CareerPoint!"

Career Point College - Better Life - YouTube

^ This is one of the legitimate vidoes, but the parodies are a lot more funny. :)
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    CoolAsAFanCoolAsAFan Member Posts: 239
    Congratulations! Would you mind sharing with us would-be networkers how you went about finding/getting this job? I am very curious as I mostly hear people say to get CCNA before applying for networking jobs and I hope to gain a NOC position once I get my CCNA. Thanks!
    IvyTech - AS CINS (Completed: May, 2013)
    WGU Indiana - BS IT Security
    (Started: August 1st, 2013)

Transferred: AGC1 CDP1 BVC1 CLC1 CVV1 DHV1 DJV1 GAC1 CIC1 CDC1 UBT1 IWC1 IWT1 TCP1 TJP1 TJC1 EBV1 WFV1 EUP1 EUC1 CJC1 UBC1 TBP1
    Completed: CUV1 BOV1 DRV1 DSV1 CTV1 CJV1 COV1 CQV1 CNV1 TPV1 MGC1 TXC1 TXP1 BNC1 TYP1 TYC1
    Required:
    SBT1 RGT1 RIT1
  • Options
    RockinRobinRockinRobin Member Posts: 165
  • Options
    jamthatjamthat Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Glad to see that the CCENT was recognized..sounds like it'll be a good job for you!
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CoolAsAFan wrote: »
    Congratulations! Would you mind sharing with us would-be networkers how you went about finding/getting this job? I am very curious as I mostly hear people say to get CCNA before applying for networking jobs and I hope to gain a NOC position once I get my CCNA. Thanks!

@Santaowns: I'm in Maryland.

@instant000: Can't watch it right now, at work lol. 3 Letter Organizations block EVERYTHING!!! crash.gif

@CoolasaFan: Just apply apply apply... try to go for upward movement, stay away from laterals if you can. There's no shame in it but if you want to do more, shoot for more.

I originally applied for a Field Tech position because I wanted more desktop support experience. The recruiter said that he had a better placement available if I wanted to hear more. From there it was just following through with the process. Just be honest, make sure that during the interview process you make it clear what you know, but make it even clearer how willing you are to learn. I stressed that I didn't have direct experience but I had some knowledge and was willing to learn the rest.

I'd say the CCENT made it harder but easier at the same time. The CCENT shined but I was forced to prove what I say I know. Study before going into your technical, just to brush up on things because if you earn a cert but don't work with the technology day in and day out, it could look unjustified.

Thanks everyone and I'll make a update post like last year when I'm there for a week.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    ZartanasaurusZartanasaurus Member Posts: 2,008 ■■■■■■■■■□
    gadav478 wrote: »
    You guys really don't know how much you're inspiring and pushing people to do more!
    I think that's one of the biggest strengths of this forum. I'm constantly reading something that makes me feel like I have to step my game up. And the payoff is that you got to shine in the type of technical interview you had instead of just being a guy who memorized enough to do a multiple choice test but didn't understand enough to talk about it.

Congrats!
    Currently reading:
    IPSec VPN Design 44%
    Mastering VMWare vSphere 5​ 42.8%
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Congrats and good luck, you can learn a lot in a NOC. My last job was at a NOC and it really upped my market value.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark