Options

Dealing with Technical Degree or related required - when apply for jobs

Hello everyone,

Here is a situation I'm dealing with right now... I have both a Bachelors and a Masters degree in a field not related to IT. However, I've worked in IT for the past 8 years and have plenty of technical experience beyond that.

I left my IT job due to a bad working environment and am working in a different field now which is a little less technical.

Now, I'm looking for a new career and am constantly coming across job ads which state one must have a Bachelors in Computer Science or other related technical degree.

I feel that my application for these jobs are not even looked at, based upon me not meeting the minimum technical degree requirements.

I'm currently working on getting several Comptia certifications (A+, N+, S+, L+) to add to my resume and was even thinking about getting a BS in IT through WGU or other online program (as a last resort).

What do you guys feel would be my best course of action?

I really don't want to go back to school, but if it will make all the difference - I'll prove to people I know what I'm talking about.

Thanks!
Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...

Comments

• Options
    SlithySlithy Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am not qualified to give you advice - but I can tell you what you will see a lot of on here. A lot of people will talk about the trifecta of certs/experience/degree. Experience you have, certs you are working on(though i believe that comptia aren't going to be the most sought after certs for someone with 8 years of experience), but there tends to be the long term glass ceiling for those without a degree(I'm not sure how much your unrelated degree will satisfy this).

Anyway, I'll leave you to those more experienced and wish you good luck!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you have the ability and desire to get a related degree by all means do, it can only help, but I don't think not having a technical degree is going to hold you back any. Pretty much every job I've had 'required' a CS degree but I don't have one. There are plenty of people on these boards and out in the world that have successful careers with unrelated degrees.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If I may ask, what do you have a masters degree in? Is there any way you could manipulate it to benefit in IT?
  • Options
    The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
    My Masters degree is in Public Administration and my BS in Criminal Justice.

Yeah, I realize that not all places require a CS degree and some just care that one has a College degree, period.

The Comptia certs idea is more to establish technical knowledge on my résumé than anything else. I definitely want to get better certs along the way, but this is the fastest way I know of to show technical competency.

The WGU degree would take a little longer... Then again, I'd rather not go back to school if I don't have to.
    Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

• Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    What area(s) of IT did you work in for 8 years? I would 'cert up' as far as you can easily do without immense amounts of studying, which you are already doing with the Comptia certs. But I would expect someone with 8 years of IT experience to be able to easily move beyond the Comptia certs into something like a CCNA, MCSA, etc. Something like those seem to carry more weight than a Comptia cert.

Another idea; where are you applying? Larger corporate gigs? Recruiters? Unknown?

The reason I bring that up is because I have spoke with two smaller IT service providers that would definitely pick up someone like you if they needed an extra person and if you fit the companies culture (assuming of course you would fully fill the technical needs of the position they required). They both said the same thing, a degree is just a hoop to jump through in there eyes. It shows a level of dedication, planning and accomplishment....even if its not in the IT field. The one said the last 3 people he had hired all came from non-IT backgrounds, mostly heavy mathematics backgrounds (I know bad example) but still non IT.
  • Options
    If you already have years of experience I'd skip the CompTIA stuff. I assume you aren't looking to start at the bottom again so those are not likely to help at all with more advanced roles.
  • Options
    I worked in Management and oversaw a team which handled infrastructure such as networking, wireless, VoIP etc.

So far, I have applied at various larger corporations.

I've also started taking Project Management classes a while back and am working towards my PMP as well.

I really appreciate the varied opinions I am getting here - hopefully this will help me make a decision as to where I want to go.

Also, what is considered an advanced cert in this forum? CCNA, CCNP?

• Options
    CCNA is entry level, CCNP mid level and CCIE is your advanced as far as Cisco goes.
  • Options
    Pseudo_nodePseudo_node Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What type of position are you looking for?

I also do not have a technical degree (BA History), but I was interested in IT (specifically networking) after leaving the military, I enrolled in the Cisco Network Academy and after completing the coursework and achieving the CCNA cert, I landed an entry level networking position. After building experience (and some additional certs), the non-technical degree really didnt stop me from obtaining interviews and higher level positions (it was more about breadth of experience and exposure).

Although if you are looking for a software engineer or a computer scientist type of job, then the technical degree is generally required.
  • Options
    Good question... Well, one thing I learned is that once one has achieved a Masters degree - it's kind of difficult to go for an entry level position.

I'll probably want to get back into some type of management or at least senior technical position.

My current goal is to move forward with the certification process - from a time and money investment standpoint, I think it could increase my chances of being noticed considerably.

Wish me luck!