Options

What to do about a promised raise that never came?

astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
I need some advice, although I know most of you will just say "find another job" - however that's easier said than done for someone with just a few years of IT experience.

Earlier this year my boss told me he was bumping my pay up by about $10k/year. I was excited, I've been working hard to get noticed at my company and finally I felt like my work had paid off. Like an idiot I told my friends and family and got all the congratulations and such.

Then a few weeks go by and I still hadn't heard anything back. I talked to my boss again and he then said he could only give that kind of a raise if I made a significant move within the company. I'm completely okay with moving around, but the particular job he wanted me to move for is located in an area where the cost of living is significantly higher than where I currently live; on average about $4-500 more a month. I'm having a hard enough time making ends meet as it is and I didn't want to simply be struggling in a different zip code, so I declined the position and he said that was okay and would still try to get me a raise.

Time has gone on and there have been a few promising signs, but nothing concrete and I'm still struggling financially. I recently received some bad comments on my review and I really think my boss is just looking for an excuse to deny giving me the raise he promised. He basically accused me in my review of causing a report to be delayed, when in reality I'm the only one working on this report. That review is really bothering me and I probably should have put up a better argument in my defense - but I really don't like confrontation and figured I would just let it go and let it be forgotten by my next review. But afterwards I started thinking that maybe my boss just wants something he can point to the next time I ask about a raise, or maybe I'm over thinking it, I don't know...

Is it just me or is the writing on the wall? I don't have much experience so changing jobs isn't as easy for me as it may be for others, it seems that every job I've applied for wants 6+ years of experience. I hate to admit it, but a big part of me is thinking about just dropping out of IT completely. In my previous career I didn't make much money, but it was more than what I'm making now, not by a lot, but at my current rate anything helps!

Sorry for the rant, I'm just stuck and not sure where to go from here.

Comments

• Options
    joemysteriojoemysterio Member Posts: 152
    In my opinion, I'd stick to IT if you actually like it. Look for another job while trying your best where you are at now. You'll be making a lot more money in the future if you keep up with technology, certs, and whatnot.
    Current goals: CCNA/CCNP
  • Options
    JerryLJerryL Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Astrogeek;

Unfortunately i think that you've hit the nail on the head. There are a lot of managers who will put the carrot in front of you and never let you grab it. I think the vast majority of people in and out of IT have had that happen to them. If i were in your shoes, i'd be continuing to upgrade your skillset and do the best that you can in your current position. In the background start looking for a job. Find a couple of good headhunters who will help you find a position that you're a fit for.

If you find another position and have an offer on the table from the prospective company, see if your current boss will counter the offer to what you want. You have a position in the mean time and you know where your next paycheque is coming from.

Be careful not to burn any bridges though. A good reference is good to have, but a bad reference when you're being checked out can potentially kill that job opportunity that you are looking for.
  • Options
    W StewartW Stewart Member Posts: 794 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Consider relocation as well. You may find that in certain areas, there are more IT jobs that will take you with less than 6 years of experience. Some jobs asking for 6 years may also accept less experience if your resume is nice enough and you seem to really know your stuff. Focus on certifications and using your free time to learn as much as you can. I think a few years is more than enough to change jobs and get enough of a pay increase that you won't be struggling. You're also currently employed so you have a little leverage and can decline an offer if the pay is too low. searching for a job and applying for a job that asks for more experience than you have isn't going to hurt and you may just find yourself with an interview and a better paying job.