Options

IPV6 Subnetting

sina2011sina2011 Member Posts: 239 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

Im currently studying for my CCNA and have hit a brick wall I dont understand IPV6 subnetting is there any materials or sources out there that any can i learn subnetting ipv6 from.

Its only ipv6 i dont understand, ipv4 is easy

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    kurosaki00kurosaki00 Member Posts: 973
    wait wut...
    ccna covers IPv6 subnetting ?
    meh
  • Options
    MosGuyMosGuy Member Posts: 195
    Odom's coverage seems pretty straight forward. Are you comfortable working with IPv6 addresses and sub-net masks in general ?. The following seems like a decent article: https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-17232 . Youtube also has a few videos.

@kurosaki00: The new 2013 revision now covers IPv6 a little more in-depth than the retiring (2007) track.
    ---
    XPS 15: i7-6700HQ, 256 pcie ssd, 32 GB RAM, 2 GB Nvidia GTX 960m, windows 10 Pro

Cert in progress: CCNA (2016 revision)
  • Options
    sina2011sina2011 Member Posts: 239 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry my question really is does subnetting v6 exist and if so would we need subnetting in v6?

Regards,
  • Options
    googolgoogol Member Posts: 107
    Yes, same reasons why you would with IPv4, to create sites, security boundaries, firewalls, etc. Sometimes you may be given a /64 from the ISP and you have to split it up for your organization. /64 is like the 'norm' from what I heard for IPv6. Sure it can be a beast, I know I need to brush up on it again, I just have basics down, but need to fully understand it all, with the increasing amount of technologies relying on it as we migrate to it along with future certification exams.