Options

Port forwarding for video game

Kimura410Kimura410 Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys, I have a question about port forwarding that is relevant to what I have been studying (Security+) as of late.

I am playing an MMORPG, and decided to do a port forwarding experiment to reduce lag issues.

In the router settings under port forwarding, I type the ports as listed on the games website. Now, the problem occurs when I type the IP address of the server for the ports to be forwarded to. I type it in exactly as listed on the website, but when I apply, it tells me that my "This IP address should be in the same subnet as the LAN IP Address". Lets say the server address for the game is 202.123.456.36. Wouldnt this already be in the same subnet if my IP subnet is 255.255.255.2-63? Since subnets go from 2-63? (or is it 1-63?)

So I go to my LAN settings. Lets just say my LAN IP is 98.123.456.1
IP Subnet mask is listed as 255.255.255.0
RIP Direction=Both
RIP Version=Disabled ( I have no idea what the RIP means?)

Under that, it says that my router is enabled to use as a DHCP server.
Starting IP address is 98.123.456.2
Ending is 98.123.456.254

I should note that I tried to change the Subnet mask to 255.255.255.2
It would not let me, so it just stays at 255.255.255.0

Doesn't this mean that I am not currently using a subnet if it is 255.0? So do I have to enable the RIP Version to enable the subnet?

I should mention that on the games website, it said that if UPnP is enabled, it will automatically open the ports, so if I have that enabled, will it take care of all of this work for me?

If not, the problem for me is enabling a subnet. As I said, in the LAN settings, its default is 255.255.255.0
So I tried 255.255.255.1 and 255.255.255.2 and neither worked.

I know this post is kind of a mess but I think someone can help me, because the game works ok, it could run better, but this is more for my professional knowledge. Its driving me nuts because I feel like I should be able to fix this properly.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    googolgoogol Member Posts: 107
    You should not be changing the subnet mask, please do not change that. The subnet mask determines how large your subnet will be and where it is. The reason it rejected the 255.255.255.2 is because it is an invalid subnet mask.

Numerous new games out there support UPnP and if you do enable it, it will negotiate which ports are needed. However, the whole point of this post is not necessarily to have it automated and just troubleshoot in case it is not doing that (assuming enabled or has that feature). Anyhow, simply enable it somewhere in your router's configuration for the time being.

To configure the ports for ports forwarding, don't do anything with RIP (has to do with routing) and don't do anything with subnet mask. Simply go to the section you mentioned under port forwarding and enter the IP of your OWN system. This is why it said it must be in your subnet with the LAN IP. This IP should be in the range mentioned for DHCP assuming your own system is setup to be auto configured via DHCP. If you do not know the IP of your own system, simply type ipconfig at the command prompt of your system and the IP address associated with the interface is the one you want.
  • Options
    Awesome answer! Yeah in the past I have just used my IP in that space, but for some reason today I began to think that maybe I need to enter the game servers IP, in order to "forward my ports to the game server" or something? I dont know really, I am still fuzzy on ports, I just know if they are blocked then you cannot access a certain thing and you can see what services are running if you run a port scanner.

After thinking about it just now it makes sense. I am opening the ports on my router for my games designated port numbers. So if I open suggested port 55555 on my router then the game server can better connect to my router. I am still a bit confused but I recognize my error.

Either way, no harm done, I didn't save any changes, I just tried a few different ways to experiment a little. Thanks for the clarification, it helped a lot!!
  • Options
    googolgoogol Member Posts: 107
    Port forwarding is due to the router's NAT and firewall and is all for you, locally. The ports used locally can be different than on the server, since this is client-server interaction and architecture. When the traffic reaches your router on that port, it goes oh hey!, lets send that to the IP address on the LAN that you specified. If you do not do this, your firewall could block it or if its allowed, could just die on your LAN or go to the wrong system (if have multiple).
  • Options
    PristonPriston Member Posts: 999 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Wikipedia has a good description of port forwarding
    Port forwarding allows remote computers (for example, computers on the Internet) to connect to a specific computer or service within a private local-area network (LAN).
    If your the host in a video game where other people need to be able to connect to you, port forwarding allows you to do that.

If your just connecting to a game server (where the game server is the host), you don't need port forwarding.
    A.A.S. in Networking Technologies
    A+, Network+, CCNA
  • Options
    MentholMooseMentholMoose Member Posts: 1,525 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Kimura410 wrote: »
    ...I began to think that maybe I need to enter the game servers IP, in order to "forward my ports to the game server" or something?

Port forwarding (on a typical consumer-grade router) is for inbound traffic only... i.e. traffic that is going from the game server / other players to your PC.

For outbound traffic, a consumer router allows all traffic from your computer to go out to the Internet (e.g. to a game server, or other players). Additionally, routers have a "stateful firewall", which allows any inbound traffic that is somehow related to your outbound traffic to reach your PC. The router actually keeps track of all of your outbound traffic and tries to match it to inbound traffic, and will allow any matching inbound traffic. This is why you don't have to do any special configuration for common applications (web browsing, etc.).

Maybe you can now see where port forwarding comes into play... it is to allow inbound traffic that the stateful firewall on your router cannot match to your outbound traffic for some reason. Imagine a game like Call of Duty where Activision or someone maintains a matching server, but actual games are hosted by individual players. If you are a host, your game client tells the matching server that you are a host. When someone else wants to join your game, the matching server tells their game client to connect to you. Since you have never connected to that player (only to the matching server), a stateful firewall would not allow the traffic to reach your PC, so a port forwarding rule is needed to allow the traffic.
    MentholMoose
    MCSA 2003, LFCS, LFCE (expired), VCP6-DCV
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    I almost stopped at "port forwarding to reduce lag." icon_cool.gif I have never heard of such a thing. Port forwarding isn't needed as much today as it use to be. And when it is, it is often used to resolve conflicts between one player joining another player's server. Be careful when you play around with your router's settings. I have seen too many do that only to make their issues worse. icon_wink.gif

You actually have very little control of your lag as it is ultimately all on your ISP and their equipment. Minus the possibility of bad wiring in your home. But even they can change that out.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Haha, man I am such a NOOB in regards to port forwarding!

I assumed this would reduce lag but I guess I need to educate myself a bit more on ports. I thought that resolving conflicts with joining a friends party had to do with opening the NAT, is that still correct?
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I enabled port forwarding for Wow before but that was just because of how Blizzard distributed their patches.