Got laid off Friday, needing advice on what cert(s) to get next to spice up my resume

HaswellHaswell Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
(I really didn't know where to post this topic, )

I just got my VCP5-DCV on Saturday, August 24, and then I got laid off on Friday, August 30 because of budget cuts (the story of my life).

Now I am at crossroads of what to do next. Ultimately I want to become a virtualiztion architect. Sadly, I am not ready for VCAP5-DCA exam. Plus according to indeed there's only two jobs in the entire state of California that specifically require the VCAP5-DCA certification. Now I am sure that there's more job that require the specific skills of the VCAP5-DCA.

Since I am not ready for the VCAP5-DCA and my MCSE on Server 2003 is bit old. I was thinking about getting the MCSE on Server 2012. Which I could do in about three months.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Tom ServoTom Servo Member Posts: 104 ■■□□□□□□□□
    First - Sorry to hear about the job loss. Unemployment is not much fun.

Second - How important is getting a new job fast? Virtualization Architect is a fairly specific and specialized job, and may take a while to get. If you have savings - low cost of living, etc, it may make sense to hold out for the job you are wanting. However if you need income, you may consider looking at System or Network admin jobs.

Server 2003 is still in demand, and from what I've seen, it isn't uncommon for employers to simply want an 'MCSE', with not so much focus on 2003, vs 2008 vs 2012. I'm not sure upgrading to 2012 would spice your resume up THAT much (still, it wouldn't be bad to have). I'd consider broadening a bit and consider a networking or security certification. Architects of all varieties need a good understanding of both of these areas, so CCNA, Network+, or Security+ may be more helpful. Also, those would be helpful in getting non Architect jobs as well.

Good luck, and hope you land on your feet soon enough!
  • ajs1976ajs1976 Member Posts: 1,945 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think the MCSA is the right place to start, then either the MCSE or something else.

Do you have any experience in storage? If so, maybe a vendor cert or the storage+. Linux+ has seemed to have gotten me some attention. Security+ or something higher level may help too.
    Andy

2020 Goals: 0 of 2 courses complete, 0 of 2 exams complete
  • HaswellHaswell Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone!

I have my Network+ and Security+ certs, I just don't put them on my resume because I've never seen any jobs that specifically require them.

I just got them because my employer at the time wanted me to get them. Plus they paid for them.

I've never done any storage before. Simply because I've never had the opportunity to admin a SAN.

I want the right job and I am willing to wait. I was unemployed for five months before I got my last job. Which was my dream job. icon_sad.gif
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Assuming you have about a year or so's experience with vSphere and proclivity towards virtualization certifications, the DCA is about 2 months of serious study time. You have time on your hands at the moment, assuming you have no kids you can put in more than a few hours each day and get enough lab time under your belt to be able to pass the DCA. The DCA isnt a difficult exam if you've labbed the material enough. It's about how quickly you can do things.

The argument for the MCSE is it's much more recognized that the DCA. You've got to keep in mind that most of these job ads are put out there by HR who cant tell a computer apart from a typewriter TBH. So when you do rock up at an interview with technical folks, they are more likely to pick that you've got an advanced VMware certification and probably good at administering the product.

The DCA is 1 exam while the MCSE: 2012 is 4/5 (or whatever the number is). You already have the MCSE, albeit 2003, so you've taken care of the keyword factor. Perhaps grab an MCTS or two after the DCA (or before) and you should have a leg-up over the competition.

If I were you, I'd get the DCA and a couple MCTS 2008/2012 certs.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'd keep working towards VCAP5-DCA spending a little time on vSphere each day while mainly working towards MCSA 2012 would be my recommendation. MCSA2012-in-90-days is Microsoft's challenge is doable. You've got a lot of hours you can throw at this while applying for jobs as much as you can. Good luck with the job search!
  • HaswellHaswell Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone! I really appreciate your thoughts and input.

I don't have any kids and I am single. So I'll use my time to continue studying for the VCAP5-DCA.

Thanks again everyone!
  • kanecainkanecain Member Posts: 186 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In my area, if you even know how to spell VMWare, you have a job. The demand seems to still be pretty high.
    WGU - Bachelors of Science - Information Security
    Start Date: Jan. 1st, 2012
    Courses:
    Done!!!
  • tstrip007tstrip007 Member Posts: 308 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How is your networking? My pick would be DCA seeing that the technology is fresh on your mind. My second consideration would be a networking cert. I don't think I've ever seen a systems admin/engineer like job description that says "no networking knowledge needed!"
    Good point @tstrip007, a CCNA would also be a good idea. The VCAP/VCP/CCNA combo would be even better!
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• Sounds GoodSounds Good Member Posts: 403
    Essendon wrote: »
    Assuming you have about a year or so's experience with vSphere and proclivity towards virtualization certifications, the DCA is about 2 months of serious study time. You have time on your hands at the moment, assuming you have no kids you can put in more than a few hours each day and get enough lab time under your belt to be able to pass the DCA. The DCA isnt a difficult exam if you've labbed the material enough. It's about how quickly you can do things.

The argument for the MCSE is it's much more recognized that the DCA. You've got to keep in mind that most of these job ads are put out there by HR who cant tell a computer apart from a typewriter TBH. So when you do rock up at an interview with technical folks, they are more likely to pick that you've got an advanced VMware certification and probably good at administering the product.

The DCA is 1 exam while the MCSE: 2012 is 4/5 (or whatever the number is). You already have the MCSE, albeit 2003, so you've taken care of the keyword factor. Perhaps grab an MCTS or two after the DCA (or before) and you should have a leg-up over the competition.

If I were you, I'd get the DCA and a couple MCTS 2008/2012 certs.

2 months for VCAP-DCV? I thought it'd take much longer than that
    On the plate: AWS Solutions Architect - Professional
    Scheduled for: Unscheduled
    Studying with: Linux Academy, aws docs
    Yep, assuming he had about a year or so experience with the product (bit more than just building VM's).
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

• tbgree00tbgree00 Member Posts: 553 ■■■■□□□□□□
    More than certs and spice for the resume remember to keep a routine. When you're laid off it can be mentally devastating. Even if you don't acknowledge it in the back of your mind it can send you into depression or frustration at the very least. When I suffered through it I gave myself a weekend to sulk and then every day I got up at the same time, shaved, and wore my usual business casual while I was studying and applying for jobs. It became my job to make sure I was employed.

The VCP and MCSE is a good combination. Make friendly with some headhunters. Their job is to get you placed ASAP and start mining your contract for gold. In my area they have some of the best paying jobs with the biggest companies and want VCP pretty bad. I'm sure LA will have higher demand and wages. I got my current job based on who I know but I had a contract job that I could have easily rocked for a long time because of Teksystems.
    I finally started that blog - www.thomgreene.com