Failed the CCNA 640-802 :/

LeisyLeisy Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
So I didn't pass the CCNA... it was pretty bad. My score was 575 - pathetic. When I started studying for the CCNA, I had gotten my first two certs - the A+ and Net+. I breezed through the exams with very good scores on my first tries. I believe my first mistake was thinking the CCNA would be like another comptia exam. It wasn't. It was more like the N+ was a high school government final and the CCNA was the Bar exam. I studied using Testout's Labsim, which I also used for the A+ and Net+. It shows you everything you need to know, but the practice questions aren't even as close to as difficult as the actual exam. Another issue was I ran out of time on the actual exam. icon_cry.gif

Basically, I was cocky, I didn't know to what to expect, and I should have varied my study materials. I think I am going to go the two exam route next time as well.

I have learned from this, however, and next time the CCNA will be mine! icon_surprised.gif

Comments

• WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    You going to retake 640-802 or go for the new curricula? If the former, you have 29 days left.
  • draughtdraught Member Posts: 229 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I can't really understand why anyone would go the one exam route. That route was meant for those already had their CCNA and were just renewing it.

I wouldn't feel bad though that's a good learning experience and 575 isn't that bad think of it as a practice test. If were you I'd focus on the new CCENT test.
  • CDRichardsCDRichards Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    All I can say is you've got the right attitude this time so am sure next time you'll smash it. I'm doing the CCENT now and thought it would be very basic but has surprised me. Knuckle down, work hard and you'll pass next time for sure, whichever route you take.
    2013 - MTA Networking Fundamentals [x] MTA Security Fundamentals [x] MTA Operating System Fundamentals [x] CompTIA Network+ [x] CCENT [in progress] CCNA [ ]
  • SharkDiverSharkDiver Member Posts: 844
    I would spend the money and get the Boson ExSim-Max practice questions. They are worth every penny. They are similar enough to the real format of the questions that you can get a real feel for when you are ready for the actual exam.
  • LeisyLeisy Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    WilyOne wrote: »
    You going to retake 640-802 or go for the new curricula? If the former, you have 29 days left.

I'm going to study for the new exams. I probably won't have much of a chance now that I'm back at school for my network administration AAS. We have a class that prepares us for the MCSA, so I'll probably focus on that for now, then I have a class for the Sec+ next semester, then I'll jump on the CCENT/CCNA next summer.

This is kind of off-topic, but any thoughts on what I should after that? My mom is hell bent on me getting a bachelor's degree. I was thinking of going to a state university for a IS bachelor (St. Cloud State University Undergraduate Catalog). I'd personally rather just get to work, but when I look at monster.com, many listings do want a bachelor's degree. Again, I know this is off topic, but any ideas?
    SharkDiver wrote: »
    I would spend the money and get the Boson ExSim-Max practice questions. They are worth every penny. They are similar enough to the real format of the questions that you can get a real feel for when you are ready for the actual exam.
    I haven't heard of that yet. I'll have to look it up. Thanks for the support guys. My boss got a CBT nuggets subscription for my company's IT dept, so I think I'm going to look at that too. Also what do you think of the Cisco Press books?
  • yengiangyengiang Member Posts: 33 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Get a bachelor's degree cuz you don't have to renew it plus you would would be able to advance yourself in your career in the long run. It took me 9 years to complete mine (GED/AS/BS)...and it's well worth it....
  • PCSPrestonPCSPreston Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 127
    Get the BA. I have my mine and now I know I can work anywhere with the right certifications and experience if I so choose. Better pay too.
    I suppose I should. Four more years of school just sounds like such a pain in the a**... I guess it probably will pay off in the long run though.
  • WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    Why would it be 4 more if you have Associates? Should be closer to 2 more.

But yes, get the Bachelors.
  • CCNTraineeCCNTrainee Member Posts: 213
    If job listings are asking for a BA/BS, chances are they are looking for a Mid Level - Sr Mid Level Tech or even a Jr manager position. Since you are already at an IT company, I am wondering if you are an intern or actually working there. Anyways, you are already getting that Entry level experience as well as experience to add to your resume. All you can do is go up from here, if you do find a sweet position with a nice salary after getting your AS, I would take it if it pay well enough... you can always go back to school as well as know what degree you really want and if you want to continue your career as a technical expert or management.
  • Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would definitely plan to get your Bachelors degree. You don't need to get it right away but it will only help down the road.
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    draught wrote: »
    I can't really understand why anyone would go the one exam route. That route was meant for those already had their CCNA and were just renewing it.

I did it in one test because A - I had a voucher and to take the CCNA was only $75 but also B - all the material was fresh in my mind and I figured I'd just give it a shot doing 60 questions across a large span.