Passing 100-101

dj25000dj25000 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi Gents,

I am going through the cbt nuggets for it. I had done the ccna 2.0 12 years ago and had no practice until now. My new job requires this cert.

Now, quick advise from you guys please. I know a bit about networking. The cbt nuggets by JC makes sense to me. I am thinking of buying some practice exams. I am at a stage of my life where i fall asleep if i start reading a book. So, i was wondering if CBT and practice exams will be sufficient for passing the 100-101 ?

Also, which practice exam would recommend for someone like me who wants to pass the exam quickly ?

Best regards,

DJ25000

Comments

• Carpe PorcusCarpe Porcus Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well to start with, as long as you are aware the 100-101 will give you the CCENT not the full CCNA until you pass both 100-101 and 200-101.

From experience, there is no such thing as an easy certification and you get out what you put in. Unfortunately, there is no easy answer and as you already had the CCNA you know what level of knowledge is expected for the exam and as you have networking knowledge you are halfway there.

I can't think of anyone on here who will endorse an easy route as you should be proud of the accomplishment of passing the exam and the knowledge and effort it takes to obtain it.

If it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
    “I'm always admitting I'm wrong. That's how I eventually get to right.”
  • todd@lammle.comtodd@lammle.com Banned Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I don't understand your study path. You mention getting practice questions only. I assume you have my new book (or Cisco press, etc)? You don't mention it, but there is no way you can pass the CCENT exam (or CCNA R/S) by studying practice question. Using them as a tool to help direct your studies, yes, but as a sole source of study that is no doable. I spent 6 months writing the new CCENT (with 100 hour weeks!), and it is a BIG book. If you do choose to study only questions and take the test, I just have to know what your score is, so please let us know. If I have misunderstood you, and you have many study tools, please update your thread. Thanks!! Todd Lammle (P.S. I didn't see CBT nuggets listed until now, but you'd need a book I would think. Regardless, let us know how this path works for you).
  • Kenneth196Kenneth196 Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Todd: Sorry to interrupt someone else's thread. Any advice on appropriate study tools for the CCENT? I have Odom's new book bundle (no offense - I think yours comes out next month?) And CBT Nuggets as well. Is Packet Tracer sufficient for CCENT (I have 5.3.3 currently)?
    "Give a person a fish and you feed them for a day; teach that person to use the Internet and they won't bother you for weeks." - Unknown
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I was just in a similar situation, I passed the CCNA 12 years ago, then got a job at a startup where I didn't touch anything Cisco. I just finished the CCNA again after not touching the material for all that time. The basic network parts were more familiar but I remembered very little in actually configuring the ios. You don't want to just watch the videos, even if you can't get a hold of physical equipment you are going to want to use simulators to setup labs and learn how the equipment actually works and how to do things.
    I used a combo of the Cisco Press book(no offense toward Todd's, this one was just included with the WGU materials), training videos, practice lab tests, simulators and even then found myself googling a fair bit of stuff that I knew I heard in a video but couldn't for the life of me remember what it was.
  • tombosaucetombosauce Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just took the new ICND1 after studying with Odom's book (Lammle's wasn't out yet when I started). Odom's comes with a cd that has something like 400 practice questions on it. The Boson Ex-Sim was also very useful with very well explained answers and references for every question. If you have a working knowledge of the material, I can't say that the exams/CBTs will necessarily get you exam ready, but they'll point you to where you need to focus on.
  • dj25000dj25000 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    HI Guys,

Thanks for all the advise. Much Appreciated.

Just to clarify that i am doing a role of Network engineer at the moment a secondment. It will be neccesary to have a CCNA certification for me to be permament on this role. I do get a lot of help and support from my manager ( CCNP + experience ). But my family life wont give me much time at home to study - hence i wanted a easy path. 12 years ago, when i did my ccna 2.0, i attended a course for 2.5 months and then did the exam.

From what i t look like i will have to study the books. Fortunately , my company is providing a ICND2 training course :D. Pre-requisite to that is that i had to be ICND1 certified. I am halfway through the CBT nuggets - so far it looks all good. I need to spend some more time on this.

I have this problem when i start reading a book , i fall asleep. Is there a remedy for it ? i feel comfortable watching videos on the pc.

So, this is what i am going to do -

1. Finish off the CBT nuggets.
    2. Do some practice exams ( need your recommendations on this pls ) and see where i stand
    3. Read A book ( i bought the old icnd1 book written by Todd a while ago, will need to buy a new one for 100-101, again recommendations please ) if i can...!!
    4. Watch CBT nuggest again + practice exams
    5. Go for the test

Let me know if this si the right way of going for the ICND1. I have till the 10th OCT minus 3 weeks holiday to do all this. Is that enough time ?

I highly appreciate everybody's advise and support on this. Keep up the good work.

Best regards,

DJ
  • Carpe PorcusCarpe Porcus Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A safe bet before the NDA Nazis open fire is subnetting. As per any IT exam it is the core requirement, know the classes and the default mask etc., and now to subnet in those classes. As with everyday situations, it is an invaluable skill for anyone in IT and it doesn't cost anything to revise!

As you already have experience, familiarise yourself with the concept until it becomes seconds nature. That is the cheapest, time saving revision you can wish for.

Best of luck with the exam.
    “I'm always admitting I'm wrong. That's how I eventually get to right.”