Linux Essentials Certification (Is it worth getting)?

Johnny JohnsonJohnny Johnson Member Posts: 241 ■■■□□□□□□□
After I finish the MCSA (70-646) exam, I would like to start learning more about Linux and have heard about the new Linux Essentials cert, from LPI. The only Linux experience I have is from a class I took almost 10 years ago, and most of that knowledge is gone. I learned a little UNIX in college, but that was in the mid to late 90's. I have heard that the Linux Essentials certification is good for someone who is just starting out in Linux.

I have recently heard about the RHCSA, and how it is a "hands-on" cert, as opposed to the Linux+ or LPIC-1, which are more knowledge certs and less hands on. I've always been a tactile learner, so the RHCSA sounds like it might be more up my alley.

I am considering getting the book on Linux Essentials, and then going for that certification first, before trying either the RHCSA or Linux+/LPIC-1. Would be worth my time to get the Linux Essentials certification first? And by the way, what is the difference between the Linux+ and LPIC-1?

Thanks in advance!
Next up: 100-101 ICND1 :study:

Keep the Son in your eyes!

Comments

• TechGuy215TechGuy215 Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Linux+ is a CompTia Certification that is powered by LPIC. So if you take the Linux+ and pass, you will also receive the LPIC-1 (as well as 3 Novell Certs, NCLA, NCLS, and NCDCS).

I would recommend going the Linux+ route. It is broken up into two exams LX0-101 and the LX0-102.

You are correct in stating the the Red Hat exams are more hands-on, because you will actually be configuring/testing on a live linux environment, whilst the Linux+ certification is a knowledge based multiple-choice and fill in the blank exam.

Downlaod a few Distros, my recommendations: CENTOS and DEBIAN (as you will need to understand flavors of both RHEL and DEBIAN Linux).

Play with the Distros and supplement with study guides, again my recommendations: CompTIA Linux+ Study Guide: Exams LX0-101 and LX0-102 and LPIC-1/CompTIA Linux+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide (Exams LPIC-1/LX0-101 & LX0-102)

Also use these forums, I've found the knowledge of fellow TE member's to be invaluable.

Good luck on your journey! icon_thumright.gif
    * Currently pursuing: PhD: Information Security and Information Assurance
    * Certifications: CISSP, CEH, CHFI, CCNA:Sec, CCNA:R&S, CWNA, ITILv3, VCA-DCV, LPIC-1, A+, Network+, Security+, Linux+, Project+, and many more...
    * Degrees: MSc: Cybersecurity and Information Assurance; BSc: Information Technology - Security; AAS: IT Network Systems Administration
  • ExpectExpect Member Posts: 252 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If I were you, i'd grab a book called "Beginning the Linux command line" by Apress (Sander Van Vugt is the author) amazing book for beginners, from there on i'd go for the Red Hat track starting from RHCSA.