Options

CCNP with GNS3.

KAzzzkasKAzzzkas Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi. I have a question. Any chances to pass CCNP Route with books, videos and GNS3 (Cisco Packet Tracer???) ? I know all real equipment would help a way much more, but...

To get CCNA I used only videos, books, Packet Tracer, and tons time, but the goal was achieved. Thinking the same with CCNP. Possible??? Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    For Route, yes, you can get by with GNS3. It's not recommended but many people on here have used it and successfully passed the exam
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    what about switching and tshoot?
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I highly recommend GNS3 for ROUTE and TSHOOT.

For SWITCH, it's inadequate. GNS3 doesn't simulate Cisco switches. It does simulate a router with an EtherSwitch switching module. That's close enough to practice many things, but you'll want some rack time on real switches. I spent somewhere south of $50 to do just that the last time I passed the SWITCH exam--money well spent!
  • Options
    Valuable advices. Thank you. Thinking to start soon.
  • Options
    IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Ah. NetVet responded quicker. Yes, I was going to say GNS3 doesn't work for Switch but from everything I've heard, it works for TSHOOT and ROUTE though. I'm more into live equipment but it all depends on what you prefer and what you can afford
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    Glad to hear GNS3 will be adequate for ROUTE. Just finishing up my CCNA and I've realized I wasted a lot of valuable study time messing with cable management and jockeying hardware around. I'm border line neat freak so I couldn't help myself.
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    mitch179mitch179 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently studying for ROUTE and I'm using GNS3 only, I haven't seen anything that can't be done in GNS3 :)
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    I would still use GNS3 for Route even if I had real routers. It's just more convenient in every way. Less time messing around with physical boxes means more time studying. Plus, you can use the money you save to buy more/better switches for SWITCH if you have to spend your own money on gear.
    For Route, yes, you can get by with GNS3. It's not recommended but many people on here have used it and successfully passed the exam

I'm curious to hear why you wouldn't recommend it. I haven't labbed every single topic yet so maybe I'm missing something.
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    GNS3 is fine for Route, live gear is overrated and too much of a mess to deal with. Live gear is cool but there are ways to study and lab without ever owning or using real gear.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    As many have said, GNS3 is often better then real geal for ROUTE because its fast for labbing and simple. I just finished studying for SWITCH and I would highly suggest investing in 2 3560 and 2 3550 in order to be able to practice everything. It is also a good investment if you want to study for CCIE later on.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    Danielh22185Danielh22185 Member Posts: 1,195 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'll also add the fact GNS3 is very valuable when studding route. I haven't touched any live gear for my Route Studies and have well over 100 hours labbing at this point in GNS3.
    Currently Studying: IE Stuff...kinda...for now...
    My ultimate career goal: To climb to the top of the computer network industry food chain.
    "Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else." - Vince Lombardi
  • Options
    mitch179mitch179 Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used GNS3 for my ROUTE studies and it was fine! I think real gear isn't worth the $$ unless you _really_ need it.

I'll obviously need real gear for switch but I'm lucky enough to have access to a pretty serious R&S lab at work.