Take CCENT by Sept 30 or wait for new exam?

whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
Howdy all!

Just passed the ITIL and want to keep my motivation momentum going into passing the CCENT. Saw that the current version if going to be retired and that Cisco is making some big changes to the new ICND1 and 2 starting in Oct 2013. From reading many posts on this site, it seems that if I read either the Odom or Lammle CCENT book, doing some labbing sims and doing some practice tests should give me enough knowledge to pass the CCENT by Sept 30.

My concern is if the ICND2 changes drastically starting in Oct, would it be better to just wait for the updated ICND 1, prep for that, and make a somewhat easier transition into ICND2?

Any thoughts on this?

FYI, I am basing a lot of my info from Todd Lammle's blog:
Official Todd Lammle Blog | Lammle.com

Thanks for your feedback!!!!
2017 Goals:
[ ] Security + [ ] 74-409 [ ] CEH
Future Goals:
TBD

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    To clear up a confusion, there's nothing to wait for. The new ICND1/CCENT books/exams are already out.

The new exam is updated to be more relevant in a modern networking role.
  • whatthehellwhatthehell Member Posts: 920
    Thanks for the reply. Apologies --- I needed to explain myself better! I have a lot of study material for the current ICND 1 and ICND 2. It is my fault that life, work, etc. got in the way, and I am just getting around to starting with the CCENT. Should I at least put the current ICND 1 study material to use and pass the current CCENT iteration? From your response, it sounds like I should just bite the proverbial bullet, get the updated training material for the new ICND 1 and ICND 2, and study that material?
    Thanks again for the response!
    To clear up a confusion, there's nothing to wait for. The new ICND1/CCENT books/exams are already out.

2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would. According to Amazon, for Odom's ICND1+ICND2, you're looking at $50.47 plus shipping for physical books or $35.18 for e-Books. That's not such a hefty sum to learn from up-to-date materials.

Lammle's ICND1 is similarly priced and his ICDN2 book is due soon.

If money is really tight, you can try to read these books at your nearest bookseller for free. :)
    Thank you sir! :)
    This is exactly what I needed to hear. I am going to donate the old prep material and will purchase the updated Odom or Lammle material. From what JD has said before, it seems like Lammle is a better read, so may opt for that (no disrespect to Mr. Odom, but need to conserve money and need something as easily digestible, knowledge-wise, as possible).

Cheers and thanks NetworkVeteran!!!
    I would. According to Amazon, for Odom's ICND1+ICND2, you're looking at $50.47 plus shipping for physical books or $35.18 for e-Books. That's not such a hefty sum to learn from up-to-date materials.

Lammle's ICND1 is similarly priced and his ICDN2 book is due soon.

If money is really tight, you can try to read these books at your nearest bookseller for free. :)
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
  • RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□

This is why I bought the new books today ;)

I liked the changes they made it should be pretty awesome!
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

@Roguetadhg

Your below thread is wicked awesome:
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccna-ccent/81293-how-study-ccent-ccna-tutorial.html

I know it is too soon, but planning to update the recommended hardware for the new ICND 1/2 test? Or do you think that the hardware listed in your thread should still be good to go for practice ICND 1/2 purposes?

Roguetadhg wrote: »
    This is why I bought the new books today ;)

I liked the changes they made it should be pretty awesome!
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
    Frankly, I don't know.

That's part of why I'm picking up the books - is to see if the lab recommendations are the same or not. The best other way I can tell you is to go through kit-websites.

However this is what i'm seeing so far:
    1. I've looked at the guidelines of 'what's changed' and I'm assuming because it wasn't changed or modified, FrameRelay is still a technology that'll be used.
    2. From what I can tell Yes the hardware recommendations aren't changing.
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Found these vids regarding new material in CCNA 2013:

MicroNugget: ICND1 2013 New Topic Breakdown - YouTube

and

MicroNugget: What's New in the CCNA 2013? - YouTube

Hope they are helpful!
    I'll check out some kit-websites too!
    Thanks!
    Roguetadhg wrote: »
    Frankly, I don't know.

That's part of why I'm picking up the books - is to see if the lab recommendations are the same or not. The best other way I can tell you is to go through kit-websites.

However this is what i'm seeing so far:
    1. I've looked at the guidelines of 'what's changed' and I'm assuming because it wasn't changed or modified, FrameRelay is still a technology that'll be used.
    2. From what I can tell Yes the hardware recommendations aren't changing.
    2017 Goals:
    Future Goals:
    TBD
    I should say just look at kit websites for ideas as to what to buy. If you get the kits you save a bit of time, but it also saves you a bit of education that you would get by buying seperately.