First interview!

2»

Comments

• --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thank you everyone, its been a long day. I've never worked a "suit and tie" job before. It takes a lot of little things to make that get up work lol. Thankfully we live near a outlet mall.
  • SlithySlithy Member Posts: 50 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sounds great! - good luck starting.
    The first day was yesterday, it was overwhelming what was being thrown at me. The guy I am working under is a "guru" as everyone there likes to call him lol. Hes raw talent, and as I found out its my job to distill the crazy out and deliver his need/wants/ideas to the owner every day in a short meeting. While I am doing this, he is showing me how to do things. For example, yesterday we:

Replaced some DDR2 to test a computer
    Installed a new workstation in my office, connected it to the domain, created my user info and got me setup with outlook/lync
    Troubleshot a printer thats older than hell over the phone with there support team
    RMA'd 3 WD hard drives
    He showed me how to user IP scanner to ID IP's that are on the wrong subnet (part of a bigger project)
    He introduced me to Cention (used only for network troubleshooting, all support tickets are done through outlook via email)
    He got me familiar with the physical topology of the building, and also where everything is in the server room.

They are just starting to begin moving from one phone system to another, and I am communicating between the guru and the owner the wants and needs of them both. Im not crazy about being the middle mad like that, but I will do it as long as I am getting a ton of hands on like I am now.

They start a bit later, around 10-11 which most people would probably love but I am going to see if I can start around 9 so I can get home at a reasonable time to see the family.

Overall, I am still astounded I got this gig. The pay is bottom rung and it wont be easy to make it work, but you gotta do it to get the hands on time.
  • IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! Seems like you're in a really nice spot.
  • redzredz Member Posts: 265 ■■■□□□□□□□
    And Chris finally does IT.

Congrats!
  • neo9006neo9006 Member Posts: 195
    Sweet, congrats on the job.
    BAAS - Web and Media Design
    Working on A+
    I am so far in over my head lol. But they are ok with that, and so am I. So much hardware, so many people wanting work done, so little time.

I feel like I won the lottery getting this spot. OK enough boasting, I will let the thread die!
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    --chris-- wrote: »
    I am so far in over my head lol. But they are ok with that, and so am I. So much hardware, so many people wanting work done, so little time.

I feel like I won the lottery getting this spot. OK enough boasting, I will let the thread die!

I think you learn the fastest from being in over your head sometimes. It is awesome to see the enjoyment level by how you type now. Congrats again :D
    kohr-ah wrote: »
    I think you learn the fastest from being in over your head sometimes. It is awesome to see the enjoyment level by how you type now. Congrats again :D

I felt extremely overwhelmed today. I looked up and I'm talking to a Barracuda rep and relaying info to the engineer on what info they needed to activate the NG firewall. I know I just need to run with it, and accept the failures/screw ups as they come but I have a hard time failing to do something. It eats me up, and I don't know how to be OK with it!
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    I felt extremely overwhelmed today. I looked up and I'm talking to a Barracuda rep and relaying info to the engineer on what info they needed to activate the NG firewall. I know I just need to run with it, and accept the failures/screw ups as they come but I have a hard time failing to do something. It eats me up, and I don't know how to be OK with it!

Dont look at it as a failure. Look at it as a learning experience.
    We all cant be perfect/great at everything.
    People learn by breaking/fixing/failing/succeeding.
    I finished my first week. So far, I have:

Memorized all the server and device IP's as well as corresponding logins
    Frankensteined two vostros into one, installed win 7 over the network, installed the necessary software and setup lync/outlook
    Laid out the frame work for a major software migration, my direct boss gave me a thumbs up on it (literally) and my guru coworker said that he will follow that plan.
    Learned how to program Avaya hand/headsets
    Assisted in configuring a Barracuda NG firewall (sort of.....more or less I watched what commands did what and occasionally handed the guru the phone)
    And other things that I can not remember right now without looking at my note book.

Also for anyone curious, I spoke to the guy who sorted through the resume's today. He said they received 50 applicants in two weeks. Of those 50, 40 made the first cut. Those 40 were given to the VP (my boss) and they sat on his desk for 6 weeks. After 6 weeks he decided its time to get a helper and sifted those down to 6. Of those 6, 3 returned the call/answered. Of those three, I made it through.

He told me one guy called to reschedule and they told him not to bother. The other guy they said "lacked confidence" and "shook hands like a girl" but had rather impressive technical skills compared to everyone else that applied.

I flat out asked him, "why me?"

They specifically cited that I was well spoken and I had some organizational/problem solving skills as well as some technical aptitude. So there you have it. For ever cert you get, work on your soft skills! Read non-technical books that expand your brain (american history is my brain candy). Get comfortable on the phones with strangers. Go out and meet new people often. Learn to get over your shyness (if it exists). Become confident when you present yourself to anyone you meet.

In short, become a people person and communicate well. This isn't the magic pill everyone looks for, just what got me started in IT.
  • PurpleITPurpleIT Member Posts: 327
    In short, become a people person and communicate well. This isn't the magic pill everyone looks for, just what got me started in IT.

First, congrats on making it through the first week. Your point is right on - if people don't want to be around you for 40+ hours a week it doesn't matter (much) if you are a guru or not.
    WGU - BS IT: ND&M | Start Date: 12/1/12, End Date 5/7/2013
    What next, what next...