Configuring TFTP question Classless/Classful

xkaijinxxkaijinx Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
I was doing a TFTP backup of an image to a Cisco Catalyst 2960-S.

I originally put VLAN1 and the laptop within the 10.1.4.x subnet with a classless address of 255.255.255.0 and the TFTP kept timing out. Yes I set the default gateway in the same subnet.

As soon as I put these on a standard classful subnet 192.168.1.X /24 subnet the TFTP update worked.

Why is this?

Thanks,

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm assuming you set something wrong or had some kind of overlap or something. TFTP is not going to care about address class.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • DCDDCD Member Posts: 473 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Iagree with networker050184 opinion, or depending on the tftp app your using you may not have started the app.
  • Carpe PorcusCarpe Porcus Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    TFTP uses UDP for the protocol which is more a fire and forget as long as it knows where to go. In this instance, it doesn't so check the IP addresses as stated.

If the packets are not delivered it is a different issue but if they can't reach their destination then something is preventing this from happening.

From both IP address configurations, can you ping the host from the router that has the TFTP applications running? That would be my first step at solving the issue. Change to the other address range and ping again.

Let us know the results.
    “I'm always admitting I'm wrong. That's how I eventually get to right.”
  • PCSPrestonPCSPreston Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 127
    I would have to agree. you may have already been using the IP scheme somewhere else for it to time out as it did.