CONFUSEDD help ;)

mn_mn_ Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
Just started studying for my ccent, I'm kind of new to networking. I bought the Wendell Odom book and for some reason I'm having a hard time reading the material and actually making sense of it...what are some good study methods/techniques for reading the cisco press book for newbies like me?? Or should I be starting somewhere else prior to reading the book?????? thanks a lot for your time guys :D

Comments

• NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mn_ wrote: »
    I bought the Wendell Odom book and for some reason I'm having a hard time reading the material and actually making sense of it...
    If you feel in over your head with CCENT, it may be worth taking a step back and first tackling Network+. Many people newer to networking do better with the more gradual path of Network+ => CCENT => CCNA.
  • mn_mn_ Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'll take a look at that... Thanks!
  • MurphMurph Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Like the previous poster mentioned, the Network + is an option for you, Professor Messer, CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, Linux, Microsoft Certification Training is a free resource. l never did the Net + myself. I found going through the CBT nuggets videos first and then the book gave me a better understanding of what was going on in the book.

good luck .
    2013 CCENT[x] 2014 CCNA[x] 2015 CCNP[ ]
  • mn_mn_ Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    [QUOTE= I found going through the CBT nuggets videos first and then the book gave me a better understanding of what was going on in the book.

good luck .[/QUOTE]

I think I might give this a try..thanks :)
  • Ltat42aLtat42a Member Posts: 587 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Net + is a good place to start. You can also try Todd Lammle's books - some good stuff.
    The Latest Books by Todd Lammle | Lammle.com
  • FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Take a look at video based training to start you off. I have found it much easier to go through videos first and then read the book on a certain topic.
  • bdepak.003bdepak.003 Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would suggest you to go for,

1. Todd lammle Study guide
    2. CBT Nuggets Videos
    3. Few practise exam questions

That's it, you are good to go.
  • IristheangelIristheangel Mod Posts: 4,133 Mod
    Sometimes it's all in how the author explains it. Wendell Odom can be a bit dry for some people. For myself, I prefer using multiple avenues to absorb the information: Books (sometimes multiple depending on the material), taking notes, videos, labbing, and practice exams. Everyone's brains absorb information different. The trick is to find the study plan that works for you and the avenues that your brain absorbs information the best.
    BS, MS, and CCIE #50931
    Blog: www.network-node.com
  • goldenlightgoldenlight Member Posts: 378 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I find using cbt nuggets along with my studies work best..

Youtube also is helpfull.
    The Only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it keep looking. Don't settle - Steve Jobs
  • bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just finished this book so I'll tell you what I did. When I first started out reading it, I tried taking notes from what I thought was important. Turns out I was rewriting the book. So, I tried reading it without taking notes and thought I'd jot down notes at the end of each chapter but I found out that put me to sleep. So, I took my notebook and started copying down verbatim and drawing all the diagrams that he has listed as "Key Topics" in the book. Now that I'm done, I'm going back through the notebook and referencing the book, taking practice exams and will be practicing the commands before I take the test this month.