Options

Need to some advice regarding career! Appreciated

Phoenix9Phoenix9 Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I am new here and I have a passion for computing IT, ever since I was young I just loved computers and everything about computing and IT.

I'm 24 at the moment and my background is I dropped out of Uni after lack of motivation on my previous degree (which I messed up) I've worked part time retail jobs for most my life (McDonalds, supermarkets, furniture, DIY stores).

Currently I'm pursuing a Computer Science degree, which I will graduate in 3 years time at the age of 27. I'm also taking Comp TIA A +, Network + with MSCA certifications which I've been told will take between 6-9 months to clear (I intend to complete within 9 months).

Given I complete these certifications by next June, I've been informed I can apply for jobs related to these certifications and command a salary of $27k (UK equivalent).

My overall goal is to complete those three certifications in the next 9 months and then go complete an MCSE. Moreover, I also have the intention to take the CCNA within the next 2 years.

What advice and suggestions can you give me to improve my career path to go into Networking? As stated, I'm currently embarking on a CS degree and intend to take the CCNA within the next 2 years.

My aim is to start working once I've completed my MCSA next June onwards while studying for an CS degree as to gain experience.

Guidance and suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    charlemagnecharlemagne Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Phoenix9 wrote: »
    Hello all,

I am new here and I have a passion for computing IT, ever since I was young I just loved computers and everything about computing and IT.

I'm 24 at the moment and my background is I dropped out of Uni after lack of motivation on my previous degree (which I messed up) I've worked part time retail jobs for most my life (McDonalds, supermarkets, furniture, DIY stores).

Currently I'm pursuing a Computer Science degree, which I will graduate in 3 years time at the age of 27. I'm also taking Comp TIA A +, Network + with MSCA certifications which I've been told will take between 6-9 months to clear (I intend to complete within 9 months).

Given I complete these certifications by next June, I've been informed I can apply for jobs related to these certifications and command a salary of $27k (UK equivalent).

My overall goal is to complete those three certifications in the next 9 months and then go complete an MCSE. Moreover, I also have the intention to take the CCNA within the next 2 years.

What advice and suggestions can you give me to improve my career path to go into Networking? As stated, I'm currently embarking on a CS degree and intend to take the CCNA within the next 2 years.

My aim is to start working once I've completed my MCSA next June onwards while studying for an CS degree as to gain experience.

Guidance and suggestions appreciated.

Welcome! I made a successful transition from teaching to the private sector and did so much later than you. :) Finish your degree. It matters in the long term. Also, it allows you time to pursue possible internships. We all go through periods that are tough and our motivation changes. You have both short and long term goals and this is good.
    What isn't mentioned much here is the importance of networking amongst those in your target field. Get out there and contact people that work in roles you hope to one day. This is perhaps the most neglected part of the job hunt. If anyone does any research on this, then the facts are there and it is an unfortunate truth that most jobs are never advertised, the most "qualified" aren't the ones hired, and since there is no magic formula for success, getting involved and meeting those in your field will potentially open many doors.
    Soft skills. Being a good communicator, writer, being able to form a cogent argument and public speaking are highly valued and often will land you a job above the next person that might have a better resume but has poor grammar, lack of knowledge of interpersonal communication, etc. These are important and not taught in a CCNA study guide.
    Get experience now, get a mentor, volunteer, show what you as a unique individual can offer.
    To improve your chances of a career in networking, you can do a lot now by being proactive and network, network, network.....that is, set up informational interviews with some folks in your field. Join a professional organization and give a presentation. Such things are well worth the effort. It takes more than a resume and certs sometimes and there are many ways to land a good position.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    Thank you very much for your reply!

I never knew the importance of Networking! Good news is I've joined societies and in the process of joining the toastmaster society. I'm confident of my social skills.
  • Options
    charlemagnecharlemagne Member Posts: 113 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Happy to help. Toastmasters is fantastic! Really, they're a wonderful organization (that I'm a member of) and you'll enjoy it. I have met people from all walks of life and a couple that helped me in my career transition some time back. Good luck.
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I'll second the recommendation of finishing your degree, especially being in the UK — the consistent impression I've been given by UK colleagues is that even in IT infrastructure, degrees are relatively more valuable and certs relatively less valuable than they are here, especially the CompTIA certs. That is not to dissuade you from getting those certs; if you're working in a retail or food service position now, I would strongly encourage you to knock those out immediately and apply for jobs. You might be able to get something better than what you have now even with those.

That being said, as you progress, you'll want to more carefully consider your long-term goals and what you can practically achieve. CCNA and MCSE might not be the best fit, depending on your career trajectory. Getting a computer science degree, you might decide you want to be a software or web developer, or some other kind of programmer. Similarly, you might dislike your CS classes, and want to switch, or focus more on certs. You don't have to decide now, but it's worth considering what you really want to do as you learn more about the possibilities.

Regardless, I have to say that I think working, going to school, and earning higher-level certs (e.g. MCSE) might be impractical. There are only so many hours in a week, and there's only so much you can do all at once. As someone who will be the first to admit he's taking on way too much all at once (full-time work, full-time school, studying more on the side, and having a social life), I'll also be the first to advise caution and realism. I'm not saying you can't do what you plan or that you shouldn't try; I just want you to be reasonable and realistic with yourself, and be willing and ready to slow if it becomes too much.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Thank you guys for the response!

Charlemagne,

Yeah, toastmasters is fantastic! thank you very much for your reply which has helped so much.

Ptilsen,

Thank you for your guidance. I've read your profile and you're a Systems Engineer and working on your CS degree? I would be very appreciative on how you got into your Engineer position!

I'm working towards a COMP TIA + now and you're right, I will need to very realistic upon what I can take in the short term. However, I would love to be working in IT by next August.