Options

Simulations question for test tomorrow

Kimura410Kimura410 Member Posts: 71 ■■■□□□□□□□
So with the program I use to practice, it gave me a lab simulation to configure router settings. Simple enough, but the tricky part for me is choosing the correct server.

The question reads:
Recently, your purchased a wireless access point to add to your network. The wireless access point will allow laptops and mobile devices to make a secure connection to the wired network.

The choices for servers are:
DHCP, RADIUS, IPsec, and VPN.

The first attempt, I chose DHCP. I chose this because my router at home enables DHCP. I figured for a normal wireless router that this would be correct.

IPsec and VPN kind of go hand and hand as far as I am concerned. Although, I would use IPsec for a more secure virtual server with a tunneling protocol, correct?

The correct answer was RADIUS. Not sure why, because there was no mention of "remote" in the question, which I associate with RADIUS.

Am I totally off here? I'm new to all of this, but from studying, this is what makes sense to me.

Also, I am afraid I will not be sure about which protocol to choose. From the book, it states that WPA2 is the most secure currently. On the sim, choosing RADIUS and WPA2 was the correct choice. But what if it was supposed to be DHCP, would I not use WPA2 for that one?

Am I stressing for no reason? Does the actual exam tell you which protocol and server to pick? I have a feeling I am missing something simple yet major here, which I will probably laugh hysterically at myself for after finding out how simple it was.

Comments

• Options
    Also, not sure if this info can be divulged, but what types of simulations are there? I understand from Darill's blog, that there could be a command prompt which I know how to do, as well as some drag and drop, or questions with pictures/diagrams. I expect some group policy questions perhaps as well.

Is there anything else? Other than a router setting config like I asked originally? Thanks
  • Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You were asked about laptop and mobile connections making a secure connection, this rules out DHCP because any device can be given an IP address and access to the network. A RADIUS server passes requests to Active Directory for authentication - it can be used internally and externally. IPsec is a protocol not a server and a VPN is not used to secure wireless access points.

You use WPA2 to secure communications between devices and the access point, you don't mention any other choices for this so I can't expand on that but it's the right encryption protocol for wireless communications.

Edit - Good luck with your test!
  • Options
    Exactly! IPsec should not have even been in there as a server, because like you said, it is a protocol.

I guess VPN was a simple elimination as well since it is used for security over untrusted networks, but does not actually secure an access point.

I would never think to use WEP as a protocol because it is the least secure. WPA is better, but I know WPA2 is the most secure, so I guess I would always end up using that. Then WPA2 enterprise for a business solution and personal for home.

You clarified the question when you said most secure. I failed to realize that DHCP gives access to any device.

So RADIUS can be used for non remote connections as well? I think that is what threw me off.

Either way, now that I look at it, the simulation was forcing me to eliminate the other 3 choices, IPsec, VPN, and DHCP. I now see that RADIUS is the best choice. Thanks a lot, that really helped!
  • Options
    TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Just for the record...WPA2 Enterprise would use RADIUS for authentication. As already said the RADIUS server talks with Active Directory for authentication (avoiding a PSK....preshared key).

DHCP is for dynamic ip addressing, VPN would use IPSec or SSL for a remote connection over the internet and Radius is the only logical answer.
  • Options
    DarrilDarril Member Posts: 1,588
    To echo Asif Dasil and TechGuru80, WPA2 Enterprise uses RADIUS for authentication and forces the users to authenticate (such as with a username and password) prior to being granted access to the network.
  • Options
    cchave07cchave07 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Darril, I wanted to let you know I really enjoyed your book. It explained a lot that I didn't understand. I have taken this test twice failed. This Saturday is my last chance for my job. Is there anything else you recommend. Ive just about studied everything. The simulations seems to get me. Do you happen to have anything to help with the logs. I had a simulation where I had totell what type of attack it was. also, one that I have to show which computer was attacked. Please can you help. Thank you so much.