Options

I Think I Love My Job

the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
Been here a month and I can honestly say this is the first time I've loved a job I had (minus when I was in law enforcement). My boss is good and just leaves me to my own devices with the work I've been assigned. I've not been talked down too at all. The pay is awesome and the work actually feels meaningful. The past week and this week as well I've been testing various online games (slots, blackjack, roulette, etc). My only issue (and it's minor) is the pace of things. I'm use to going fast and that's just not how things get done with this state position. Oh and I hate having to put tickets in/dealing with the help desk. They're nice and I know they are just following procedure, but it's a pain. Took me a week to get a mapped drive and it's been almost another week waiting for access to a folder on that drive.

So little pick me up for everyone who's looking for "the" job, took me four years, but I think I finally found it.
WIP:
PHP
Kotlin
Intro to Discrete Math
Programming Languages
Work stuff

Comments

• Options
    cgrimaldocgrimaldo Member Posts: 439 ■■■■□□□□□□
    That's great news!
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    Awesome! Congratulations!

I am still going for that as well. Hopefully will find it along my path as my current place is DEFINITELY not it but this post gives me hope :)
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats man! It's always a great thing to love what you do everyday :)
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Congrats on finding a sweet spot. Everything is a trade-off.

I loved my last position, it had: autonomy, challenge, important/classified data, fast pace, real purpose, authority to get things done.. and a TERRIBLE commute (sometimes 2 hours in DC/Northern Virginia traffic).

Now I am 1 mile from work! Unbelievable to wake up at 8 and get there by 8:30 (including shower/teeth brush..lol) I could walk/ride a bike and not break a sweat. This position is: laid back, lower priority data/systems, slow, mundane, people stay here forever, hours drag by, academic environment

It is tough because I miss my old position, but I don't miss being squished on the metro train in the summer with hundreds of smelly sweating people or in my car mindlessly going 20 feet at a time in between stops in jam packed traffic.

I am trying to give myself a figurative lobotomy so I can learn to enjoy this place and pace, but it hasn't kicked in yet.
  • Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Great to hear you are enjoying it! It sounded good from the start so glad to know it turned out like that too.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    Hey I'm in a similar boat..

more so in the realm of app/software/appliance testing, but I love it
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Awesome. It is good that you're getting some satisfaction in your job. While experiencing your love affair, keep updating your skills and stay informed about the goings on in your field, so that you don't come out the other side worse than when you entered. Remember: You're just a key management change away from sadness. :) Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)