Options

Not a big fan of WGU , any advice on other colleges.

I just received my Bachelors of Science in Cybersecurity from UMUC and was looking to work towards my Masters in IA at WGU. A few weeks ago I submitted a question in regards to how they treat Army Tuition Assistance and Active Duty military. I was told they were really busy and to make an appointment. I made an appointment with Sevdalije Dzambazi and 45 minutes after the appointment time, another person called and said that she was too busy and not available. Since it was 45 minutes after my appointment I too was too busy and declined to talk, figuring I would contact her another time. I tried contacting her again and she said since I missed my first appointment, she told me I had to reschedule with the main line and start the process over...

At this point I am probably going to look into another Masters program as I don't feel the need to jump through hoops due to someone else being too busy.. But am willing to work through the process again as long as it isn't with Sevdalije Dzambazi who really needs a refresher course on customer service...

So the advice I would like is, is WGU's Master's program in IA really any good or are there other Information Security programs I should look into. I would like a reputable college and not a diploma mill which it seems many online colleges are...

Comments

• Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    This one comes up a lot. I think we have a member who decided on this pretty recently.

This one would be top notch, if you can get it (mostly) paid for by the military.

There are definitely some good alternatives to WGU. The advantage to WGU are more flexible pacing, costs, and bundled certifications. The advantages to schools like the above are reputation and curricula.

I can't speak to how easy getting these sorts of questions answered is, but it's hit or miss at most schools, in my experience and from what just about everyone says. Honestly, I think the advantages/disadvantages I listed are better reasons to contemplate whether WGU is the right school than registration and admissions.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    Pat PartridgePat Partridge Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    To: WilliamK99,
    Your posting came to my attention and I have asked Summer Ball, the Supervisor of the IT Enrollment Counselors, to reach out to you to help answer your questions about WGU's master's programs and our handling of military tuition assistance. While it is true that our team has been swamped by inquiries, you should still expect and receive great customer service. I apologize for any of our failing to date.

I don't know if we can use this thread to reach you just using your screen name, but Summer can be reached at 866-225-5948 ext. 5919.

Regardless of where you choose to attend for your master's degree, good luck in your future endeavors.

Patrick Partridge, Chief Marketing and Enrollment Officer
  • Options
    NemowolfNemowolf Member Posts: 319 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To: WilliamK99,
    Your posting came to my attention and I have asked Summer Ball, the Supervisor of the IT Enrollment Counselors, to reach out to you to help answer your questions about WGU's master's programs and our handling of military tuition assistance. While it is true that our team has been swamped by inquiries, you should still expect and receive great customer service. I apologize for any of our failing to date.

I don't know if we can use this thread to reach you just using your screen name, but Summer can be reached at 866-225-5948 ext. 5919.

Regardless of where you choose to attend for your master's degree, good luck in your future endeavors.

Patrick Partridge, Chief Marketing and Enrollment Officer

This is exactly why i chose to do my Bachelors degree through WGU. While there may be slips here and there, JUST like any human can do, they always manage to make it right. I am not in their Masters program so i cant speak to that but you can't beat their price and the certifications you earn from their program instead of a brick and mortar or other online program.

It has been noted in a White House event concerning the future of higher education that more schools should follow the basic idea of WGU:

White House Press Release Type Link

NY Times Article on Above
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I love WGU. As soon as I finish my BS I'm immediately starting the MS program.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    ahardinjrahardinjr Member Posts: 37 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Here are a couple of good B&M schools with IA graduate programs:

Dakota State University: Programs, Office of Extended Programs, Dakota State University, Madison, SD
    Capitol College: https://www.capitol-college.edu/academics/graduate-academics/information-assurance
    WGU MS:IT - Network Management
    MBA - Information Assurance Mgmt