Options

Question about work/career

AdviceAdvice Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have been working at my current position for about four months now. I am doing help desk, but we touch switches, storage, exchange, servers, and are expected to fix hardware/software. I don't like the position as I feel I could be doing something more along the lines of sys admin or a more challenging role.

I have spoken to my boss about the chance of moving up to a higher position, but I feel as though he is thinking more responsibility with same pay. I asked about attending training, but was blown off. I'm not learning much here...changing out monitors and hard drives, or installing software. Boring.

The pay is decent, but my days are slow. I've only been here 4 months so I feel like companies will view me as a quitter.

I have plenty of certs, experience and B.S degree with security clearance.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Master Of PuppetsMaster Of Puppets Member Posts: 1,210
    Advice wrote: »
    I have plenty of certs, experience and B.S degree with security clearance.

With those you shouldn't be working help desk in the beginning. Just start applying for other jobs and move on. You should be able to find something on monster,dice,linkedin etc.
    Yes, I am a criminal. My crime is that of curiosity. My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like. My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Agreed. If you have relevant certs as well as a degree you should have no problem getting into a more challenging position. Put your resume out there and see if you get anything. Personally I wouldn't worry about how long you stay at a job for. I strongly believe it isn't worth staying somewhere that you dread going to 8+ hours a day.
  • Options
    NavyITNavyIT Member Posts: 171
    Was just reading this article and it's probably something worth looking at in your situation.

Quit Before a Year? Here's What to Know | LinkedIn
    A.S. - Computer Networking: Cisco
    B.S. - Computer & Network Security