Anybody subscribe to PenTest Magazine?

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
I keep getting email with discounts on issues and special editions of PenTest Magazine, but I've never bought any. Do any pentesters here have a subscription to Pentestmag? Is it worthwhile for beginning/intermediate/advanced pen testers?

Comments

• MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Are you going to subscribe? If its a good mag, I may subscribe as well.
  • MSP-ITMSP-IT Member Posts: 752 ■■■□□□□□□□
    MrAgent wrote: »
    Are you going to subscribe? If its a good mag, I may subscribe as well.

I think that may be why he is asking.
  • Stan LeeStan Lee Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I keep getting email with discounts on issues and special editions of PenTest Magazine, but I've never bought any. Do any pentesters here have a subscription to Pentestmag? Is it worthwhile for beginning/intermediate/advanced pen testers?

I do not have a regular subscription but, I bought a couple of issues. The regular price of one edition is about $30 but, if you pre-order, it will
    cost $15 only. Some editions came with 70+ pages while others came with 100+ pages.

The articles are quite interesting and informative although, at times, there can be quite a number of incorrect grammar and spellings. The magazine presents a lighter side of reading compared to grabbing a hundred-page book. I had recently purchased one edition about ISO 97001/97002 dated Nov 2012 at the cost of $1 only but, it was still a good bargain :)

They also have issues dedicated to Kali, BackTrack, Scada and Metasploit. All the articles will typically provide a detailed explanation and step-by-step procedures so you can follow the exercises. If you find it interesting then, you can get a book to study and learn further. In my opinion,
    it's worthwhile for beginners to intermediate level but, definitely not for advance pen testers.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    According to the pentestmag.com Web site, a one-year, individual subscription to PenTest Mag is USD$221.40 ($180+23%tax). I'd like to know if professional pen testers find it valuable.
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I get a lot of emails from them, it looks good sometimes
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    According to the pentestmag.com Web site, a one-year, individual subscription to PenTest Mag is USD$221.40 ($180+23%tax). I'd like to know if professional pen testers find it valuable.

Are you sure it isn't $221,40? Thats what all the ads I see say, even though I emailed them about it.
  • MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Thats a lot of tax.
  • dou2bledou2ble Member Posts: 160
    I was a subscriber for little over a year. I don't think it's worth the cost. I'm a prof pentester and work for one of the big 4. You'll find a lot of poor grammar in these magazines. Another problem is each article is written as if the author is an authority, but really they're just professionals out there sharing their opinion. If they write something that's wrong or incorrect you, the reader, could mistakenly believe them. The best articles are ones showing how to use software like backtrack, nmap, etc...But all the info they provide is available online, LinkedIn sec groups, etc... What I have found useful sometimes is to wait for Pentest discounted prices because you can get some articles at around $1. Don't ever pay the $221 or whatever it is because discounts are available.

Also, MOST IMPORTANT, you won't get a refund but they will deactivate your account. What this means is on Jan 1st you could pay for a year. Ask for a refund on Jan 2nd and they'll deactivate your account so you have no access for the rest of the year but your refund is never processed.

A must is subscribing to Steve Gibson's Security Now podcast. Here is where you'll learn all the relevant security info.
    2015 Goals: Masters in Cyber Security