Options

Getting my geek out of the closet!

Jaybird85Jaybird85 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi all -

Long story short, I guess you could say I have literally woken up recently and decided to go into IT, specifically with intentions of eventually doing consulting along the lines of Network System Analysis.

I got myself a Trainsignal account, have intentions of doing the MCSA Windows 7/8 training and test in the future. But for now I am focusing on elements of training to help me work at the Helpdesk level for the next 6months +. I have VMware, have my VM's up which I just used within my Active Directory course, and have set it up and am about to start learning how to use AD.

I have read about Help Desk Tier I job descriptions and how there is a great deal of documenting that is done and the majority of aid I will be giving, at that level is alot of password resets, user account management and how to fix things like pop ups, etc.

I found a job advertisement through a recruiter recently, for which I somehow have managed to land an interview with this Thursday. I am admittingly incredibly nervous as this will be my FIRST technical job. I have worked in the criminal justice and social sector for quite awhile so i am using counseling/advising people.

So while this is what I am wanting to do and build my knowledge on, my confidence in non-existent right now.

The job itself requires working knowledge of AD and VPN. I am going to have to take a 40 question test, and if i score at least 40% I will get interviewed.

Any suggestions on what to expect to be asked in a multiple choice test and a follow up interview for this role? Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Options
    Xonis1Xonis1 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That is interesting that a T1 helpdesk would be doing much AD stuff. VPN i can see with RDC. My question for you is, are you just starting out with a computer career? if so, i suggest doing the new A+ certification. This will cover the basis for a lot of the issues you will run into for a help desk.

I would start with A+ - background for printers, computer hardware and software, which now includes mobile and tablets.
    then do network+ - foundation with networking
    After these do MCSA for whichever route you want to take..Also take a look at how microsoft changed the MCSA certifications, the 7/8 path is more for desktop support tech's. It sounds like you want to take a server path for an admin career path.
    WGU BSIT:Software
    Start Date: Oct 1, 2013
    In Progress: TBP1 WFV1 EAV1 CLC1
    Transfered: AGCI GAC1 BVC1 (8 cu)
    Remaining:
    EDV1 BNC1 BOV1 BVC1 CJV1 CIC1 CRV1 CTV1 CUV1 CVV1 CWV1 DEV1 DHV1 DIV1 DJV1 IWC1 IWT1 CJC1 TJP1 TPV1 WPV1 EUP1 EUC1 TXP1 TXC1 TYP1 TYC1 EBV1 CDC1 CDP1 UBC1 UBT1
  • Options
    SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    I'm trying to break into IT as well, so I probably can't give you as much insight in others. That being said, I recently completed my A+ and I am currently working on the Network+. I believe that if you read the A+ and Network+ books front to back and actually learn as much as possible from the book, it provides you with a very broad background for most other directions that you would go in. Most people include Security+ as well, which I am only omitting because I have not yet made it that far yet.

I think that knowing about virtualization and Windows 7/8 is great, but if you lack the background in understanding the hardware, networking basics, and other topics covered by A+ and Network+, you are doing yourself a disservice. I'm sure these topics may be covered by Windows 7/8 certifications to a degree, but they probably assume that you already have a fairly good understanding of these topics.

I'm hoping to land an interview with A+ and Network+, with Security+ to follow, and then go for MS/Cisco certifications after I get some hands on experience. From my experience, A+ and Network+ can be completed in a month if you are able to keep up with reading a chapter per day, and simultaneously reviewing all the previous content. This works out to maybe 1.5-2 hours per day. Most preparation books seem to be ~20 chapters, so assuming 2-3 days where you take break, that would still leave you with a week to review.

Some people might be able to knock it out faster than that, but I'm also working on a Linux course, learning a bit of Python, and a few other topics. I think if I were to try to complete the A+ or Network+ any faster, I would become bored.

Best of luck!
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Net+ and Security+ share a lot of material. I studied and passed them both within the same month.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    KrekenKreken Member Posts: 284
    I wouldn't waste time on Net+ and would just go for CCNA.