Is there anything more fun and rewarding in IT than automation?

N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
I find the biggest thrill in IT is automating something that usually requires hours of effort. The thrill and excitement is priceless not to mention the value add. Sorry just wanted to see what others thought about automating task. It's just so much fun! :)

Comments

• ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I agree 100%. It is the best, the absolute best, to see a good automation solution work well.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I had a serious addiction to certifications now my addiction has transitioned to automation! I'm always thinking how can this been done faster, more accurately, less effort and pain.
  • sratakhinsratakhin Member Posts: 818
    I'm working on automating desktop deployment and as much as I used to hate installing Windows, I kind of enjoy it now :)
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I think IT is automation. Writing a program is automating tasks, configuring routing it automating sorting of data packets, setting up email is again automating a process.

Scripting and scheduled tasks is where we get to start from scratch and do some thing that no one else has, or at least do it in a different way or a new approach. I love it, and every few months I get the bug and play with a task I want to get out of the way. I agree some thing so good in implementing some thing that can save time.

One of my favorites was writing some code that took input from an excel spread sheet that was a list of switches, ports and vlans. With one click of the mouse it took each in turn and log in to the switch and checked the state of the port, confirming it was not active. backed up the port config and then applied the new vlan information, again checked the port was still showing as non connects but now non shut down and backed up the new port config and created a report to say what it had done. It also of course only logged on to each switch once no matter what order the ports where in the spread sheet.

It could do 900 ports in 15 minutes, while a person could do about 2 ports in 5 minutes, and the script never made errors.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    I disagree, manual is definitely the way to go. I'm always thinking about how something can be done slower, less accurately, with the most effort and pain. And the camel in the Geico commercial says: "Do you know what day tomorrow is... HUMP Day!!"

But seriously, N2IT, what are some examples of this that you've been working on?
    Anything from simple web hosted dashboards to generating individual templates off of a large record data set. My most recent piece of automation is a macro I created in Excel that goes out to the production SQL server and pulls down 100,000+ rows of data (essentially refreshing the ODBC connection), then spits out two reports one as a PDF from the dashboard page off of the workbook with the macro and then another PDF to a network location where web services picks up the file and publishes the dashboard on several 50+ inch monitors in several different states. This is off of one button click, it took me a while to set up it and I am still working on automating the email piece. The pdf and xls file that is saved are currently pointing to a network folder, but I want those files to go to a email template that has the script in the body and the DL list created and to automatically send it from the VBE. Almost there. Some other things I do is mass transpose and a lot of data clean up that would take hours and I can get done in 20 minutes or so. I am still a big time amature but I continue to gain knowledge.
  • QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would agree, automate everything you can safely do! And by safely, I really mean just don't automate yourself out of a job!!! I love looking at certain groups in AD knowing I don't have to manually manage them anymore, getting that emailed report every morning about IP address usage from the day before, even that email that tells me there is a new hire that needs to be processed. Without that last one, I'd be getting in trouble for not giving access to people I didn't know existed!
    Qord I agree completely.
  • phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□
    N2IT wrote: »
    I had a serious addiction to certifications now my addiction has transitioned to automation! I'm always thinking how can this been done faster, more accurately, less effort and pain.

Great, can you tell me how to automate the update of over 200+ ssrs .rdl files with a new shared data source? Mmkay thanks.
  • CodeBloxCodeBlox Member Posts: 1,363 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I work for a financial institution and one of the phone systems that the customers call into is not the best... It's been known to fail without warning. Supposedly the vendor fixed that finally after a year of it breaking everyday. We would have to constantly check this phone system throughout the day until one of our Sr Engineers automated the task of making a call into the phone system and checking for certain phrases. Now, we never have to check it manually again thanks to him. He enjoyed the project very much too.
    Currently reading: Network Warrior, Unix Network Programming by Richard Stevens
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Great, can you tell me how to automate the update of over 200+ ssrs .rdl files with a new shared data source? Mmkay thanks.

Are these not just XML?
    Are these not just XML?

I think I just need to modify the DataSourceReference string in the xml but I don't know how to script it with powershell since, well, I've never touched powershell.
    phoeneous wrote: »
    Sounds like you are outside your skill level. You may want to hire a consultant to help deliver a solution you seem to be struggling with. BTW I was very impressed with the 1997 South Park reference.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    N2IT: I like automating stuff, if it can save time, respond to a trigger, etc. I found some VB that might be something you can modify to get where you're going. FreeVBCode code snippet: vbSendMail.dll Version 3.65-- Easy E-mail Sending in VB, with Attachments Myself, I've used "blat" in the past: Blat - Windows Command Line SMTP Mailer | Free Communications software downloads at SourceForge.net You may have to interact with your Exchange and/or network people, in order to allow your server to send through the Exchange server. Also, I do not know anything about your company's security policies, so make sure you abide by those. I haven't had to deal with automating e-mails from the command line since Exchange 2003. Maybe there are some more appropriate solutions out there. I recall that the blat syntax was very simple, and it supports attachments. I If someone else has an idea, please contribute. Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
    Thanks a lot I appreciate the time and effort. I'll check this out later this evening.
  • instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    It was about two minutes of effort :/ I've spent more time trying to fix the formatting. Carriage returns aren't where I want them to be, but it's near bedtime, so I'll have to let it be.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • XSkatepunk586XSkatepunk586 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Dropping on a mini ramp and being able to ride the ****.
    @ Instant - The formatting is completely off I agree with that. As far as thanks, its called being polite. <Shakes Head> icon_lol.gif
    Sounds like you are outside your skill level.

When it comes to powershell sure but it's not my primary job function. Skill is relative.
  • googolgoogol Member Posts: 107
    Finishing that big project and having it all work, great, sucessfully...respect.
  • SaundieSaundie Member Posts: 69 ■■□□□□□□□□
    LarryDaMan wrote: »
    I disagree, manual is definitely the way to go. I'm always thinking about how something can be done slower, less accurately, with the most effort and pain. And the camel in the Geico commercial says: "Do you know what day tomorrow is... HUMP Day!!"
    While you may joke about it, this is essentially the ethos of the company I work for. We spend most of our days "re-inventing the wheel", doing everything from scratch without templates, without standard processes, without learning from our mistakes. It means that we can keep sending "consultants" to customers. To most people would seem counterproductive, but for us it's our "bread and butter" - we charge customers an hourly rate for a physical visit, whereas remote support is charged annually in advance.

At my previous workplace I had almost free reign over the whole IT and telephony infrastructure, and as I was salaried it was in my best interest to make everything as efficient as possible. I was quite proud of myself the first time I got RIS to deploy XP, then automatically install Office etc without my intervention. I can certainly appreciate the satisfaction of being able to look at the fruits of your labour knowing that you'll never have to do something manually again. If only end users were so appreciative ;)
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree N2. I don't high off of process automation, but I do get a thrill from the problem solving aspect of it, and a sense of satisfaction when I can demonstrate higher efficiency when executing a previously manual process.

I have been working on a scripted solution that calls my list of Windows servers from an admin workstation, queries/downloads required Windows Updates to each server, initiates the install remotely, performs a reboot/wait/check-status, rinse and repeat until no required updates remain, and finally reports back to WSUS (WSUS reports are how we prove to management that all systems were updated to the same level), with history logs and error checking.

I'm still tweaking, but this is probably saving me 6-8 hours per month of effort because the entire process is automated;I just start up the script, and when it's done I follow-up on the servers that did not completely install updates due to an error, if needed.

I use Powershell a lot to quickly report on things like NTFS permissions inheritance, querying Windows OS properties, system uptime, VMware automation, AD queries, mass reconfiguration of registry keys, and the list goes on. When you have limited human resources, tight deadlines, and wear a lot of hats, investing a little time in automating your work is a must.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    I have been working on a scripted solution that calls my list of Windows servers from an admin workstation, queries/downloads required Windows Updates to each server, initiates the install remotely, performs a reboot/wait/check-status, rinse and repeat until no required updates remain, and finally reports back to WSUS (WSUS reports are how we prove to management that all systems were updated to the same level), with history logs and error checking.
    Would you mind sharing that script?
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
    @blargoe that is impressive - I hope you nail it. Are you using VB, Powershell or a 3rd party software like Sydi? (Which uses Powershell) :)
  • gkcagkca Member Posts: 243 ■■■□□□□□□□
    3rd party software like Sydi? (Which uses Powershell) :)
    Sydi is a VBscript...
    "I needed a password with eight characters so I picked Snow White and the Seven Dwarves." (c) Nick Helm
  • EveryoneEveryone Member Posts: 1,661
    blargoe wrote: »
    I've got one that does this, been meaning to polish it up and get it published for a while now, just haven't had time. You guys should look into attending the PowerShell Summit next year in Bellevue WA. Be on the lookout for my sessions if you do go (which I still need to submit, fingers crossed that I'll be presenting.)
    I use PowerShell/Sydi to report against AD. LazyWinAdmin: Powershell - SYDI - Convert all my XML to DOC Files I believe you have to use Python in a Linux environment (not sure though)
  • veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I've been having fun with Powershell. I have to agree that it's great fun to automate tasks.
    I believe you have to use Python in a Linux environment (not sure though)

Sounds like you are outside your skill level.
    Okay South Park...........