Options

contract work hints and tips

Z3-MasterdZ3-Masterd Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
A few years ago, a local staffing agency in my city had a steady supply of short-term contract work. Many of these projects were for one or two nights only through IBM (installing new cash registers in retail stores and bringing them and their printers online). The short duration was an asset because I could just stay in a motel room for the night and finish the job the next night. Although I had to foot the bill on my hotel, I still made a lot more than I spent.

Unfortunately, the company went out of business, and now I'm having a very hard time finding short-term contract work online. It seems like most of the sites--Indeed, Dice, Sologig, Thingamajob, and Glassdoor, to name a few--have contract work that lasts much longer, usually several months. I invariably have to pass on these opportunities because with that length of commitment, I'd be in the red after hotel expenses. No point in working in that case.

Am I looking at the wrong sites, or are these jobs just in short supply? Any of you guys and gals have the same problem?