Options

Best practice for MCSE courses ?

RatatoskrRatatoskr Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Is it a requirement, very important, beneficial, or unimportant to have the Windows 7 AD course together with Windows 7 client course? If important, should it then be taken before or can it just as well be taken after the Windows 7 client course?

I know what MS says and I know that when I studied for Windows 2003/XP MCSE I had good use of having the AD studies done prior to WinXP client but I've never tried it the other way around but now my employer, although I've pointed this out for several years (while waiting for some knowledge upgrade), does not believe me and have decided that I can do without the AD, or maybe get it another year.

I'm an old MCSE for Win2003 + XP.
Atm I'm in charge of all computers (Windows 7), smartphones, users and their accounts, + a few other areas. I'm supposed to be able to secure these clients with GPO's and other type of registry modifications + also apps on the computers to heighten security.
With Windows 2000 and XP (as an MCSE) I had all the knowledge on how to work the Server AD user accounts and modifying start-up GPO's, etc.. With Windows 7 Server AD and Windows 7 Client I'm quite lost. I can't secure the clients like I could on Windows XP, because of my lack of knowledge.

Comments

• Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am sure that the courses are beneficial, but if you are a good self learner and can study on your own, then they are not needed.
    What exactly are you lost with?
  • Options
    RatatoskrRatatoskr Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm lost with, as I said, being able to secure clients as well as I was able to with XP. Registry alone is a big difference between the two. I'm not about to do anything by playing around. I need to be 100% on whatever I work on.

Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    MrAgentMrAgent Member Posts: 1,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Set up some test VMs at home and explore what you are not sure about. You can do this with virtualbox, hyper V, or if you want to spend a little money, you can use VMWare workstation.

Saying that you are lost with not being able to secure clients is a pretty broad statement.