Options

How to summarize multiple positions

kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
Hey Everyone,

I took a look at my resume and I decided I need to redo it as I have the right experience but not getting call backs.

A coworker told me that I need to just list the most recent position in my current company and list my entire time that I was here. That companies aren't going to care that I started here as a printer tech they want to know what I can do now.

I want to go back to being a network engineer full time. My previous experience (see attached document) from April 2011 to now is the most relevant. How do I add what I did into one summary so it shows that yes I work with cloud related things now but i have a good amount of experience with Cisco since that is what I want to do.

I trying to get a low to mid level position in networking without going back into a NOC.

Can anyone help tell me how to summarize the Current Job, Inc.?

Comments

• Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    I would put the highest position you ended up with from them and a mix of bullet points that highlight your accomplishments and responsibilities over the entire time you were there.

With that said, your experience section is quite confusing and needs some work. Two dates for that one company is a bit strange, your tense changes in the bullet points quite a bit(Example: determining, assist and performed). Additionally it's a bit confusing why you have both bullet points and a short summary for each position which are essentially the same. I would suggest sticking to one format or the other and not changing mid way through.

Get that section fixed up and post a full resume for us to look at. There are plenty of us around willing to help!
  • Options
    Ok will redo and post up tonight.

I noticed on some other good reviewed resumes here I want to make sure I do this right. I shows that for the summary up top you do in present tense than the bulletpoints underneath are highlights of the job all the accomplishments and those can be in past tense?
  • Options
    I'm unsure what summary you're referring to. The ones in your job experience section I'd suggest dropping completely as you're already summarizing the position in your bullet points. If you have a summary of yourself in your resume otherwise it should be present tense; you wouldn't want to say something like "I was an IT professional skilled in Exchange Server" and leave the reader wondering if you still retain that skill set.
  • Options
    It'll all come together :D
    Professional Summary is in present tense in detail of who I am, what I do and what I want to be in a sense.

So this (Ignore the actual content) the top summary is what I am doing now. Is that present tense and the bullets underneath my accomplishments from previous positions in this company (past tense)? That is what I meant by I have seen others do this.

Plan, design and implement enterprise solutions involving Cisco, VMware, NetApp, and Microsoft Technologies. Experience with the design, architecture and implementation of Virtual Infrastructure environments using Citrix, Virtual Center, Hyper-V. Hands on experience with iSCSI, NFS and Fibre Channel protocols on NetApp storage. Work with Solarwinds monitoring solution to monitor a large series of client accounts to ensure that their critical network devices including routers, firewalls, switches, servers, and access-points were available.

• Managed IT infrastructure for residential network which was made up of Cisco switches, access points, network admission control systems, call manager and firewalls.
    • Maintained Windows Server 2003 systems providing solutions such as Active Directory, Cisco Call Manager 4, and Tape Backups.
    • Determined customer requirements and design VMware/Hyper-V based solutions to meet the functional and business requirements of clients of various sizes and across verticals.
    • Assisted in research, design, and planning of cloud, desktop, and network backup solutions.
    • Developed technical marketing collateral, including product and services slicks, sample service offerings SOWs, SLAs and technical presentations for customer briefings, and industry events.
    • Educated customers and internal staff on Cloud, Monitoring, VDI and managed service products, offerings and best practices for combining solutions to create private and hybrid clouds.
    • Mentored and providing quality assurance oversight to professional services engineers during the course of technical engagements to ensure that solutions were delivered in accordance with best practices and professionalism.
    • Performed hands-on technical implementation, troubleshooting, and remediation on complex client projects requiring high-touch or strategic vision.

• Options
    Your "summary" is literally just a bunch of bullet points put into a paragraph while your bullet points also summarize the job.

Why do you have both?
  • Options
    edit: okay I think I know what I need to do now. Do me a favor and please check back tomorrow to see if my resume looks better
  • Options
    Ok, I redid the resume in 2 ways. I dont know which looks better and hoping I can get some opinions (Thanks everyone for their help!)

Resume Revision 2 = Shows progress in current company a different way less confusing.
    Resume Revision 3 = Only most current position with all important information in regards to my career at current place. (To me kinda of looks better)
    Attachment not found.
    Attachment not found.