Options

Wendell Odem Test Question

mgmguy1mgmguy1 Member Posts: 485 ■■■■□□□□□□
I am sitting in Starbucks studying for my CCENT and going thru Wendell Odem's- 640-822 test engine and I am across this question and I think the answer is wrong.

I am on Question SE-l1-822-19-003. Anyway the answer it game me seem wired.
The three answers are as follows.

1. The cable connecting R2 to PC2 should be a crossover cable
2. The cable connecting R3 to the WAN link is Twisted -pair cabling from the Telco,typically with an RJ-48 connector.
3. The cable connecting R2 to the CSU is a serial cable.

My only issue I have is with Answer one. Anytime a PC is connected to a router and the PC is not connecting to a console or AUX port the proper cable to use is a straight thru cable correct ?

I cannot copy the question here so if you have the Wendell Odem 3rd Edition CCNA library this question was taken from the book's CD you can see the graphic I am looking at.

Please let me know if I am correct or not ?
"A lot of fellows nowadays have a B.A., M.D., or Ph.D. Unfortunately, they don't have a J.O.B."

Fats Domino

Comments

• Options
    bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    PC and Router are under the same bracket, so no I believe they would need a crossover if directly connected to each other. PC, Router, and a wireless access point use straight through when connecting to a hub or switch. But they will need crossovers if connected to each other.
  • Options
    Jon_CiscoJon_Cisco Member Posts: 1,772 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am just getting started but to test my routers ip config I pinged it from my laptop with a crossover cable connected to the fast Ethernet port. So I believe a direct connection would require the crossover cable.
  • Options
    bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Although I believe in some cases with auto mdix a straight through may work as well it may be best just to use a crossover and save the cpu cycles.
  • Options
    WilyOneWilyOne Member Posts: 131
    Yes but don't count on Auto MDIX to always work in all cases. The important thing to remember for the CCNA exams is connecting like devices requires crossover. A router is considered a PC (since it essentially is a computer), so PC-to-Router is like-to-like, hence use a crossover.