Options

No CCNP Wireless forum here?

Cat5Cat5 Member Posts: 297 ■■■□□□□□□□
I know this thread has probably come up before, but Techexams has no CCNP Wireless forum? Why CCNP Voice and Security, but no Wireless?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    There isn't much interest here to merit it's own section. If you have questions post them in the main CCNP section. If enough interest is shown a section can be created for it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Does this mean, you think, that if there isn't much interest here in such a forum, there also isn't much interest among employers for CCNP-Wireless-level people? If there was a demand for them, you would think that more people would be pursuing that cert.
  • Options
    I think there is demand for wireless knowledge, but it's more of an 'add-on' type skill rather than a core area like R&S, voice or security. Most people that I know that do wireless work are also LAN admins with R&S skills. Obviously there are exceptions to that like partners or consultants that roll out wireless.
  • Options
    I don't really have an interest in a CCNP R&S level cert. Do you think pursuing an NP-level Wireless cert by itself would be very marketable? I'm not going to go after a R&S NP cert just to make a wireless one look better.
  • Options
    I would think you'd drastically cut back your level of knowledge and marketability by just going for the wireless. It wouldn't be a certification path I'd ever suggest to anyone.
  • Options
    What about voice or security?

I might add that although I don't have a CCNP, I do work for an ISP doing networking all day long. I've been doing it for about five years now.
  • Options
    2URGSE2URGSE Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    First of, just the fact you work for an ISP and have access to the equipment puts you ahead of the pack. I wish I was in your shoe's.

I am assuming you have your CCNA-Wireless already? (and of course the CCNA itself) since that's the pre-requisite to CCNP-Wireless.

I personally feel that wireless and security go hand in hand, that's because borderless networks do have security issues that need to be addressed. I myself on that track, I'm studying for my CCNA-Wireless now and will most likely pursue the CCNA-Security as well before deciding which CCNP to jump into. CCNP R+S of course is a good certification and well respected as the moderator suggested.

As far as wireless goes, I do see some jobs for it here and there, so if that's your passion, by all means pursue it. There are a lot of companies that will need wireless penetration testing, design, modifications, upgrades etc. I wouldn't rule it out as a career path, you can probably even open your own business doing this.

Cheers,
    A+
    Network+
    CCENT (formally CCNA certified)
    ICE (Imprivata Certified Engineer)
  • Options
    I'll consider that. Unfortunately, my number one enemy is time. I'm older now and just don't have the time to pursue a CCNP R&S, then another NP in a specialty field - particularly since I have a growing family that needs/wants my attention.

We do live in an age of specialization, so I'd like to think that a lot of knowledge in one specific technical area would be an advantage in the marketplace. Even without an NP-Wireless cert, perhaps even a CCNA-Wireless and a CWNA would be enough to get a foot in the door somewhere. A junior college here in town offers a hands-on wireless class that lasts a semester, and at the end of it students are ready to take the CWNA (I've been told). The hands-on experience would be a big plus, considering that I've never actually done it, so I'm looking into that.

I only make about $43k/year now as a contractor, and the end result of all this is of course a higher income. I don't want to take a novice wireless job somewhere just to get into the field if it means taking a pay cut, so I'm having to check this career path out carefully.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    Considering that you work for an ISP, and have a CCNA, I'd recommend certifying higher. Service Providers tend to like longevity, and five years at the same spot is showing that. Considering your environment, I'd think that R&S and SP would be the tracks for you to consider in order to maximize the experience that you have invested in your career. With your experience, the R&S and SP tracks should be easier for you than trying wireless.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)
  • Options
    SteveO86SteveO86 Member Posts: 1,423
    I know this thread is a few weeks old..but I just wanted throw my thoughts out there in regards to CCNP:W.

I've thought about tackling the CCNP:W but I think it serious needs an update. It still lists WCS, Cisco Spectrum Expert, and various other topics on the exam objectives. WCS was EoL'ed replaced by NCS, which has also been since rolled into Prime Infrastructure. So from a real world perspective it's outdated. Cisco Spectrum Expert has also been replaced with Channelyzer from MetaGeek. (Although that isn't much a big deal)

Keep in mind the CCNP:W is 4 exams, while the CCNP:R/S is only 3 exams.

I'd consider the CWNA exam much more worth while then the CCNA:W exam. The CCNA:W was pretty useless for real world support/deployment in my opinion. If your goal is to get familiar with Cisco Wireless I'd just read the configuration guides and design guides.

With all the Wireless deployments I've been involved in, a lack understanding of the actual standard (802.11) and RF is usually the reason why problems are encountered not because of a configuration issue.

As mentioned above, if you do work for a service provider, I'd spend my time mastering that. It may take some time to pay off but it eventually will pay off.
    My Networking blog
    Latest blog post: Let's review EIGRP Named Mode
    Currently Studying: CCNP: Wireless - IUWMS
  • Options
    RouteMyPacketRouteMyPacket Member Posts: 1,104
    Cat5 wrote: »
    I'll consider that. Unfortunately, my number one enemy is time. I'm older now and just don't have the time to pursue a CCNP R&S, then another NP in a specialty field - particularly since I have a growing family that needs/wants my attention.

We do live in an age of specialization, so I'd like to think that a lot of knowledge in one specific technical area would be an advantage in the marketplace. Even without an NP-Wireless cert, perhaps even a CCNA-Wireless and a CWNA would be enough to get a foot in the door somewhere. A junior college here in town offers a hands-on wireless class that lasts a semester, and at the end of it students are ready to take the CWNA (I've been told). The hands-on experience would be a big plus, considering that I've never actually done it, so I'm looking into that.

I only make about $43k/year now as a contractor, and the end result of all this is of course a higher income. I don't want to take a novice wireless job somewhere just to get into the field if it means taking a pay cut, so I'm having to check this career path out carefully.

If you have been working for an ISP for 5yrs, getting your CCNP R/S should be rather simple. Some slight reading on various topics, say switching as you probably do more routing day to day will be required.

At the end of the day, it's all on YOU, you have complete control over your career path and potential. If you are happy at CCNA, by all means that is your choice.

Wireless is something I do quite a bit of, I have no certs in that track and not sure I will anytime soon. Certification is supplementation, if you have a skill in a specific area and you are focused on that area, it is in your best interest to certify yourself.

I've had some talks over the last year with a few 2-3x IE's..like why do they have 2, 3 and going for their 3rd and 4th IE? It boils down to personal goals, it's not so much the "IE" for them, it's about rounding out their expertise. One in particular wants to focus on borderless networks, so his R/S, Security and Wireless IE's make perfect sense.

Another guy is focused on Data Center/Design...so his R/S, SP, Security and Data Center IE's make sense.

It's all about you becoming the best you can be at what you want to do. Ask yourself "where do I want to be in 10yrs?" then start laying the groundwork on how to get there.

It's a marathon not a sprint.
    Modularity and Design Simplicity:

Think of the 2:00 a.m. test—if you were awakened in the
    middle of the night because of a network problem and had to figure out the
    traffic flows in your network while you were half asleep, could you do it?
  • Options
    I missed this post...let me be frank for a moment, i'm thinking you need some tough love here so here goes
    "Unfortunately, my number one enemy is time. I'm older now and just don't have the time to pursue a CCNP R&S, then another NP in a specialty field - particularly since I have a growing family that needs/wants my attention."

That's nothing more than a cop out and laziness speaking. I see you are at the CCNA level, I am concerned that after 5yrs working for an ISP you are at that level. Something doesn't add up, you either work for a bad company or you do not seek out more opportunities within your company. Opportunities are there for the taking, not to be handed to you on a silver platter, you need to be aggressive in your career if you want to go further.

Again, this completely falls on your shoulders. Again, red flags to be working for 5yrs at an ISP and making $43k, once again I am led to believe you are the type that comes into work, does what he has to and goes home. Rinse and repeat. Hey, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, I would dare say that kind of approach makes up a good 85% of IT workers today.

The thing is, the other 15% will steamroll you every single time...the other 15% are working day to day, challenging themselves day in and day out coupled with putting in study time. The end results being that they have supplemented their experience with high level certifications and in doing so demand higher salaries. You simply cannot compete with these people on the job market. Remember, it's easy to land a job, do what you have to do to get by and go home each day. What reward is there in that? What can you truly expect from your career with such an approach?

You have two choice

1. Step back, ask yourself "what do I want out of my career?" "where do I want to be in 10yrs?" "what do I want to be making in 10yrs?" and begin taking appropriate steps to achieving what you want.

2. Keep doing what you are doing

"If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you always got"

You can do anything you set your mind to, the only limits are what you set for yourself.

• Options
    RouterroninRouterronin Banned Posts: 76 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I think there is demand for wireless knowledge, but it's more of an 'add-on' type skill rather than a core area like R&S, voice or security. Most people that I know that do wireless work are also LAN admins with R&S skills. Obviously there are exceptions to that like partners or consultants that roll out wireless.
    Im giving it three years to change, though.
  • Options
    I missed this post...let me be frank for a moment, i'm thinking you need some tough love here so here goes

That's nothing more than a cop out and laziness speaking. I see you are at the CCNA level, I am concerned that after 5yrs working for an ISP you are at that level. Something doesn't add up, you either work for a bad company or you do not seek out more opportunities within your company. Opportunities are there for the taking, not to be handed to you on a silver platter, you need to be aggressive in your career if you want to go further.

Again, this completely falls on your shoulders. Again, red flags to be working for 5yrs at an ISP and making $43k, once again I am led to believe you are the type that comes into work, does what he has to and goes home. Rinse and repeat. Hey, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that, I would dare say that kind of approach makes up a good 85% of IT workers today.

The thing is, the other 15% will steamroll you every single time...the other 15% are working day to day, challenging themselves day in and day out coupled with putting in study time. The end results being that they have supplemented their experience with high level certifications and in doing so demand higher salaries. You simply cannot compete with these people on the job market. Remember, it's easy to land a job, do what you have to do to get by and go home each day. What reward is there in that? What can you truly expect from your career with such an approach?

You have two choice

1. Step back, ask yourself "what do I want out of my career?" "where do I want to be in 10yrs?" "what do I want to be making in 10yrs?" and begin taking appropriate steps to achieving what you want.

2. Keep doing what you are doing

"If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you always got"

You can do anything you set your mind to, the only limits are what you set for yourself.

Thanks for your frank reply. Let me be frank in return.

You don't know my situation. I can't move on to better jobs within this company - because I'm not even an employee yet. As a contractor hoping to get perm status at some point, I'm just a hired hand. I apply for every single position that I think I'm qualified for. So far, no offers. I work my butt off, too, so this is not "laziness speaking." I know that I do a good job and I don't have to justify myself to anyone. But after two years of contract work with no benefits and no opportunities here, I'm moving on. So I'm getting ready to buckle down and spend the next year in hard study, getting an NP-level certification that I hope will help me move on.
  • Options
    bobfromfplbobfromfpl Member Posts: 104
    The only thing I can say is just make sure you're going to pursue a cert that is marketable in your area, if there is a larger market for other skillset based positions available you might want to consider that factor in your planning. Personally I see many more jobs in my area for R/S, Sec, & Voice and very few wireless. But ultimately if you want to pursue wireless regardless than don't let anyone here sway your opinion!! Find your passion, begin your new studies and make some $$.
  • Options
    What area are you in?

I think it would be true that R&S opportunities are greater in any area. I agree in that even if it takes longer to find work, I think it pays off in the long run to do what you like and enjoy, especially if it's going to be a life-long career.
  • Options
    AwesomeGarrettAwesomeGarrett Member Posts: 257
    I apply for every single position that I think I'm qualified for. So far, no offers.

This concerns me. If you are applying and you are not receiving offers, even low ones, then you're missing something during the interview process or your competetion is that much better.

If you want to go wireless go wireless. Hospitals are always looking wiresless guys, in my area anyways. You ever walkthrough one and pay attention to the WAP's? Makes an enterprise campus look like childs play.
  • Options
    This concerns me. If you are applying and you are not receiving offers, even low ones, then you're missing something during the interview process or your competetion is that much better.

What interviews?
  • Options
    Thanks for your frank reply. Let me be frank in return.

You don't know my situation.

Did you even pay attention to the pointers I gave you here? I dare say your resume or lack thereof is why you aren't getting calls.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/97088-resume-review-needed-ccna-working-ccnp.html

• Options
    Why do you keep slamming me? I did make changes to recommended suggestions. Maybe I didn't make all the changes you thought I should make, but I did alter quite a bit.
  • Options
    Then post your updated resume on the thread