Options

Are you challenging me?

The_ExpertThe_Expert Member Posts: 136
So, I was talking to my boss today about my certification plans for the upcoming months... I told him I was interested in getting my Network+ and then Security+ certs as quickly as possible when he mentioned I should go for my CCNA.

Well, I agreed and said I would accept his challenge!

I've recently received my Linux+ cert which is also my very 1st technical certification. My previous employer never cared for certifications, never paid for good training and generally wanted to keep everyone dumb - so they had total control over everyone.

I showed my previous employer how much they meant to me and left them a while back. At least my new boss cares and my new employer will also reimburse me for my certifications.

Now, here I am...

What is a realistic time-frame to complete the CCNA? 6 months? 1 year?

I'm wanting to obtain my CCENT first, since my networking skills aren't at the enterprise level of things.

I am also wanting to purchase a lab setup. What's a good source? I see CertificationKits advertised on the sidebar of this site... are they legit or just a general ad to make this site some money?

Thanks for your help and input!
Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

Studying on again, off again...

Comments

• Options
    YFZbluYFZblu Member Posts: 1,462 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There's a thread somewhere around here in which a person completed CCNA in 63 days; however that isn't the norm. If you're going from zero-to-ccna I would say six months is a decent estimate.

Generally speaking it's a better value to compile a lab on your own, piece by piece - In my opinion at least. Amazon, Craigslist, eBay, resellers in your local area, etc.

Good luck!
  • Options
    pamccabepamccabe Member Posts: 315 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey Expert! Great to see you on the Cisco side. I went from 0 to CCENT to CCNA in 7 months. Before that, I had networking knowledge and a basic understanding of the OSI model and how it worked. However, I didn't have any experience with Cisco or the command line. We all learn at different paces, but I think I could have used another month of study time. Granted, I passed, but I just felt like some questions caught me off guard. To be honest, I don't care for how Cisco does their exams, but that is another topic. As for a time frame, your mileage will vary.

I actually used certificationkits to buy my first switch. Looking back on it, I wouldn't have. Not because of their service or anything they did though. The switch I bought was $79 and that includes a 1 year warranty. It came with all the necessary cables and even a CD of videos to help prepare for the exam. Most of them are too high level to be of much use though. Looking on EBay now, you can get the same 2950 switch for $30 and that includes free shipping. My recommendation to you would be to buy equipment as you go. If you are new to Cisco, I don't think it would be in your best interest to shop for hardware right away. Maybe get a switch or two, that way you can practice some concepts and get used to the command line. As you progress in your studies, buy the hardware you need. It is a lot more fun to shop for hardware when you know what you need instead of googling and finding 100 different opinions. Also, I think it would be cheaper to buy pieces instead of a large kit.

Just my opinions, good luck to you...
  • Options
    RoguetadhgRoguetadhg Member Posts: 2,489 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Generally speaking?

No. It's definitely better. :)

I can say this much - I'm darn happy I spent the money on real equipment because of everything I've had to deal with.
    Forgetting passwords, TFTP server, connecting a terminal emulator, having to deal with modules that may not work or may work but just not in one router. It's quite frankly the best option, most expensive, but definitely hands down the best. I don't say this because I think it's the best because it's the route I went... I say it's the best because I've dealt with Emulators, Simulators from low-tech to GNS3.

...Not to mention if you keep a lab running long enough you can run your own Sauna for a side-business.

Not to mention there's something awesome about telling your boss, 'Im a proud parent of an ASA 5505'.

...and my wife is beckoning! *Poof*
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    TE Threads: How to study for the CCENT/CCNA, Introduction to Cisco Exams

• Options
    Thanks for the input so far! I'm really excited to go down this path... CCNA has always been on my list of things to achieve.

Now, I want to do this more than ever...
    Masters, Public Administration (MPA), Bachelor of Science, 20+ years of technical experience.

• Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Member Posts: 180
    I agree CCNA is definitely possible to achieve in 6 months. I recently finished my CCENT based on the new objectives and it took me about 2 months, I watched CBT Nuggets along with reading the foundation learning guide 4th edition then afterwards I used the official cert guide with Chris Bryant's videos (a little more in depth) and read Todd Lammle's book the last week leading up to the exam.

In regards to Network+ i would say just read through the book and maybe watch some video's but if you planning on doing your CCNA I would say writing the Network+ exam is a bit of a waste of money as CCNA trumps Network+.
    2016 Goals: CCNP R&S, CCNA Security, CCNP Security
    LinkedIn
  • Options
    fredrikjjfredrikjj Member Posts: 879
    The_Expert wrote: »

Three months I would say is the maximum amount time you should spend, even if it's new to you. If you need more than that you are probably not being very effecient with your time. After all, it's just one single textbook of material.
    I am also wanting to purchase a lab setup. What's a good source? I see CertificationKits advertised on the sidebar of this site... are they legit or just a general ad to make this site some money?

GNS3 for routing and Packettracer for switching is fine. You might miss a one or two commands, but you'll be fine. However, I would get 1 switch to test some of the stuff that you can't really lab with emulators, like upgrading the ios and doing password recovery. It's stuff you are expected to know in the real world.
  • Options
    SysnetNotesSysnetNotes Member Posts: 45 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The_Expert wrote: »

Well.I took a 6 months training for CCNA / CCNP R&S together.It was 3 hours per day and 5 days per week.After that i wrote CCNA exam.it was like a piece of cake as i undergo CCNP training too.After one month from CCNA certification i wrote CCNP switching and then CCNP Routing.Currently preparing for CCNP Tshoot.
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I won't have that much time on my hands for my studies, due to my work. So I will probably have to nibble at my study materials a little at a time.

I'm still aiming for 6 months total, though. Wish me luck!

• Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'd say :

3 months or less is rushed
    4 months is a fast pace
    5 months is a moderate pace
    6 months is a comfortable pace where you won't feel overwhelmed at all and have plenty of time for your personal life as well as work.

After 6 months you're at a slow pace and will find yourself forgetting the things you studied in the beginning, thus forcing you review more than should be necessary for the test. For testing purposes you don't want to take your sweet time, have a good pace. For continued and follow up study, that is where you can slow it down, unless you're going for something more advanced like CCNP, in which you'd want to keep up the pace. PACE!!! :D
  • Options
    politenessmanpolitenessman Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I went from zero to ccent in 2 months and then another month to take the ccna. I failed it; that was just over a week ago. I'm taking it again next week, and feel a lot more confident this time. Total time will just over three months, but .... I am currently unemployed with a very supportive and well paid wife, so I'm working full time on the certifications (~4-6 hours a day).

I have purchased my own equipment and I have to say that while it may not make that much difference in terms of passing the exam, in terms of real world experience I believe it gives you a huge advantage. As someone mentioned above, you start looking into why various modules don't work on one router, but do on another and a whole slew of other 'real world' types of problems and factors that come into to running equipment in general, not just Cisco equipment.

When I built my lab, I purposely picked a variety of routers and switches, with older and newer IOS versions, just to give me a flavor of real life with these things. I have a number of different interface types and modules, again not because I need them, but because I want to see what makes them tick and how to configure them. Its not in the exam, but it is fun, and I think that is the key; it has to be fun - that makes learning this stuff a whole lot easier.
    Currently working on CompTIA Linux+
    Hoping to get CCNA: Sec (640-554) and CCNA:R&S (640-816) next year.
    Watch my progress at http://tonypickett.com
  • Options
    darkerzdarkerz Member Posts: 431 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I really need to chime in to this thread.

A work environment where people give any care for certifications is HUGE. It encourages you to perform well, learn more, certify and become specialize in various branches through self study.

Again, that's really a big deal. In most environments, the case is to stick with the status quo, unfortunately.

Also, you can use this as part of your annual review process. Do a good job, over deliver your projects, don't mess up too much and show your career & technical progress. My manager told me one of the easiest ways to give someone "more income" is showing they're doing well, exceeding projects and becoming a bigger benefit through learning.

My management put my CCNP finalization by end of November as part of my goals. The pressure to deliver is hot, but I've been studying for awhile. Only have the TSHOOT and Switch exams left, with 5+ years of experience :)
    :twisted: