Options

Computer Science vs. Information Systems

tjb122982tjb122982 Member Posts: 255 ■■■□□□□□□□
I recently began working on my AAS in information technology at my local community college and I hope to complete it along with my A+ and Network+ by December of next year. I plan on working in the field for a 2-3 years before jumping back into a 4 year program but I wanted to get some advice and feedback on 4 year programs. My first and main question is (excluding online IT programs like the one with WGU), what is the main difference between Computer Science and Information Systems? Basically the question is one valued more than the other or are they more interchangeable?

Comments

• Options
    certerocertero Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    At the University I went to Information systems majors were tied in with the business school. The computer science majors were in the engineering school. I got my business/CIS degree..I had friends that were computer science majors. Pretty much two different worlds IMO.. Technically/programming wise CIS program was geared more a high level where computer science really got down into the nitty gritty programming wise etc. CIS was focused on how technology could address business problems where computer science was geared more to well...the science. Although we did some programming in CIS it wasnt anything close to what they were doing in CS... In a nut shell... The CIS majors were trained more for the business side while the CS majors were trained more for the programming/pure technical side of things.. Thats how it was at my school anyway.
  • Options
    SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    I also agree that a search will lead you to many answers. That being said, I do suggest that you try to take a class at a time towards your BS if at all possible. A lot of things can happen in 2-3 years and some people never go back. If your future employer provides any tuition assistance, then you should definitely start towards the BS right away.

From what I have gathered, CIS/MIS/IT can be more business oriented and often deals with learning specific technologies whereas Computer Science is more about the underlying concepts. I do tend to see a CS degree mentioned more in programming jobs. Even in traditional IT jobs, they will sometimes explicitly mention wanting someone with a CS degree.

I had the option of IT vs. CS and chose the former because of time and cost. The IT degree will only take me ~2 years part-time and $11k. The CS degree would have been double that. My case is unique because I already have a BS and the IT program is specifically designed for those going for a second degree. If all things were equal, I would have gone for the CS degree.

I think IT/IS degrees are criticized because sometimes the non-computer people who heard IT was great decide to pursue this major. I have met people that have IT/IS degrees that managed to get through school with very little knowledge. In most programs, you can probably get the degree without taking any challenging programming courses. I'm making sure that I avoid this by taking C, C++, and data structure classes. In addition, I'll learn assembly and working on a math self study. I doubt this will be anywhere close to what they learn in CS, but it will make me more knowledgeable than the average IT/IS grad.

My plan is to get the BSIT completed and then decide between an MBA vs. MSCS. If I do decide to go for the MSCS, I believe that some of the math and lower level languages will help, even though I will likely have to retake the courses. I hope this helps you see that it is an individual choice. Everyone is in a different situation and has a different goals.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Computer Science is programming, IS/IT doesn't always include the programming. Some IS/IT programs do, but usually it's only a few courses. That being said, if you have the choice I suggest doing computer science. When I look at the time I graduated everyone I knew with a degree in CS had a job right out of school. Me on the other hand, took eight months before I found something. The ironic thing was a large number of interviews I went on were because of the programming courses I listed. I had two and finally took them off because I didn't know Java well enough to continue to get calls for it.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    ptilsenptilsen Member Posts: 2,835 ■■■■■■■■■■
    To directly answer the original question, they are not interchangeable, and the differences are significant. As SteveFT experienced, you will not transfer as well into CS, and it would probably take at least 25% longer, if not twice as long as finishing a BS in IT/CIS/MIS. In fact, your AAS will probably net you nothing but generals going into CS, and you would be looking at having to meet 80-90% of the degree requirements despite already having a two-year degree. Going into IT/CIS/MIS, your AAS will get you between 25% and 50% of your degree requirements, depending on the specifics.

The myriad differences between the two are covered in the posts I linked, the responses here, and a simple Google search or review of your school of choice's curricula.

For SteveFT, your chances of getting in any MSCS program are slim even with C, C++, and data structures. Even the programs with lower admissions requirements will typically require some upper-division theory classes and higher-level math (discrete, calc I and II, sometimes more). I'm not saying it's impossible or that you shouldn't try; I just want to make sure you understand it's an uphill battle without a CS undergrad.
    Working B.S., Computer Science
    Complete: 55/120 credits SPAN 201, LIT 100, ETHS 200, AP Lang, MATH 120, WRIT 231, ICS 140, MATH 215, ECON 202, ECON 201, ICS 141, MATH 210, LING 111, ICS 240
    In progress: CLEP US GOV,
    Next up: MATH 211, ECON 352, ICS 340
  • Options
    SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    ptilsen wrote: »
    For SteveFT, your chances of getting in any MSCS program are slim even with C, C++, and data structures. Even the programs with lower admissions requirements will typically require some upper-division theory classes and higher-level math (discrete, calc I and II, sometimes more). I'm not saying it's impossible or that you shouldn't try; I just want to make sure you understand it's an uphill battle without a CS undergrad.

Thank you for the feedback. I was planning on pretty much no transfer. If I am lucky, I figured they might give me some credit for C/C++ and data structures, but I know that I will need to complete somewhere around 5 math courses as well as the theory courses. My intent is to get the BSIT and get in the field. If I find that I am more interested in moving into programming long term, I might take the long approach to the MSCS, knowing that it will likely take me 5-7 years.

For me it is just a matter of always learning. I like to try to know everything, even though it is impossible. Even if I don't get into an MSCS program, I'd like to approach some of those advanced topics on my own (once I get to that level, long ways to go)./