Options

70-270 Scheduled for 7/17

I'm very excited about taking my first Microsoft exam on my way to MCSE:Security. I've "acquired" some CBTs and have watched them all, plus I am beginning to read the Exam Cram 2 book that I have purchased. I am already scoring around 70% on any practice test that I take, and I'm quite sure that I'll be able to get that score up to 90% before next Thursday. I've gone through XP and done pretty much everything that is described, except for setting up a RIS install for obvious reasons. The one problem that I'm having is not with a domain network, but rather with a workgroup setup. I seem to have no problems sharing my Windows 2000 computer with my XP Pro computer, but whenever my 2000 computer tries to access the XP computer I have access problems. I'm not really sure how to combat this, as Microsoft doesn't have any in-depth How-To's on how to setup a workgroup based network. If someone could either give me a resource or give me some info I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Cheeblie

Comments

• Options
    cheebliecheeblie Member Posts: 288
    Found my problem. I had to change a setting the Local Security Policy. It was the "Limit Local Account Use of Blank Passwords to Console Logon Only". Since I never set a password for my usernames, I guess this made for a nice problem. You guys can comment anyway, because I like any input on XP.

Cheeblie
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Another thing I ran into in my workgroup setup was that I had to disable the option Use simple file sharing on the View tab of Folder Options before you can see the Security tab on the file or folder properties.
  • Options
    I'm still a bit confused as to how I setup shares so that users on other computers can have access to the share, while others will be limited. Am I supposed to setup accounts on each computer or can I get the users from the other computer and assign them that way?
    share.jpg
    When I get to this screen should I be able to browse to other computers on the network and use their objects, or do I have to setup the accounts on the computer I'm sharing? Anytime I assign an object to the share, for example the Administrators group, it is assigned as "CHEEBLIE-M1GXUC\Administrators". In order to get the Administrators, or any group for that matter, to access the share from another computer do I need to have it say "computername\Object Name" or am I mistaken? I think I'm just a bit confused, I'm probably mixing elements from domain based networks. If someone could clear this up I would be very grateful.

Cheeblie
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I'm probably mixing elements from domain based networks
    exactly. Domain -> centralized accounts.

The trick with workgroups is to create the same account and password again (and perhaps again and again) on several machines.
  • Options
    Ok, now I can see why domain based networks kick so much a$$ (Let's see that get censored). I can't wait to get my new server and install Windows 2000 Server on it. No more of this crap.

Cheeblie
  • Options
    chiznitzchiznitz Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yes, it does suck creating the user accounts over and over again on the computers you want to access. We have windows 2003 server running on a machine here I think I'm going to set it up like a domain to save us alot of time. I'm always putting computers together for people and I have a partition shared that holds over 50 applications downloads (all legal of course icon_biggrin.gif ). It'll be alot easier to access that using a domain and then I don't have to add my account to the other computers, good stuff.

Anyways I schedule my exam for this coming tuesday the 15th of july, I hope to god I pass.
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    If I recall correctly, the local NTFS permissions will override any of the share permissions. So I just set my shares to let everyone in, and then set my NTFS permissions to the real security that I want. This duplicating accounts on the workgroup boxes is annoying, and one of the reasons my home lab is about to go to a domain network as soon as I acquire another big harddrive to run the server off of (well that, and as soon as I figure out how to integrate my Linux router/gateway/firewall/dns server into a 2k based domain... unfortunetly, microsoft domain networking is something I'm really weak on atm). I ran into the same problem with blank passwords (I'm the only one that uses my boxes, so I'm not concerned with local security, and I'm sitting behind a nice tight firewall, so I'm not worried about remote attacks either). And Webmaster is right, that simple file sharing crap is annoying. I hate to admit it, but it took me an hour to find the option to turn it off.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    Yeah, that's how most people setup permissions.

Cheeblie