Options

Nervous during phone interviews

ThexzenoThexzeno Member Posts: 44 ■■■□□□□□□□
Im kicking myself in the butt knowing that im messing up opportunities to get my foot in the door with good companies because i keep screwing up phone interviews. I just recently had a phone interview that wasn't very technical at all and asked some very basic questions such as

What do you look for in a company?
how do you deal with irate endusers?
customer calls says my printer, mouse laptop,keyboard etc not working what do you do?
how would you explain a technical problem to a customer with little computer knowledge

next thing you know im stuttering all over the place and fumbling over my answers when i know what to do if the computer is right in front of me or ill know the answer i jsut cant communicate it effectively. I really need to work on conveying my answers to people in the simplest way possible but its proving to be difficult.

ive never been more frustrated in my life

Comments

• Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Phone interviews are tough, no doubt about that. I've done a number in my time and each one got easier. I'll take a guess and say you don't talk on the phone very much? If that is the case, start talking on the phone more often. Phone interviews should be easy because you don't have to dress up and you're in an environment that you know. The other thing to do is draw up some questions and have a friend call you to ask them. Obviously, you won't be as nervous, but at least it will get you more use to the process.

I always find that during phone interviews I forget to take a breath. I have to tell myself, "breathe Grinch, breathe". Being a little nervous is always a healthy thing so don't worry too much. Also, once you get a job in phone support you'll never worry about phone interviews ever again. Good luck!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    AkaricloudAkaricloud Member Posts: 938
    Yup, it's definitely something that you need to get good at. There's a lot more to IT than just being able to do the technical work. Many positions, even higher ones, are very customer oriented and require retaining good communication skills in crisis situations.

If you're struggling try to get more exposure by doing some practice interviews and trying to otherwise find situations that are similar. I assure you that it does get easier with practice!
  • Options
    MrkaliMrkali Member Posts: 105
    It is normal to be nervous. When I find myself with a phone interview I write out the answers to common interview questions (technical and non-technical) and have them available in front of me.

This helped during one particular phone interview I had where the interviewer was rapid firing questions at me. I think he was testing how I'd respond under pressure.
  • Options
    QHaloQHalo Member Posts: 1,488
    Write out the questions and give them to a friend to call you. Write our what you want to say and then practice. Keep your answers succinct in preparation for the real thing so you don't ramble.
  • Options
    f0rgiv3nf0rgiv3n Member Posts: 598 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For some reason I always do very well with phone interviews. I know that if I can get them on the phone, I can usually get a face-to-face.

I say that not to brag but just to let you know that there's nothing to be nervous about! :) The biggest thing you should keep in mind when you're going into these interviews is that YOU are interviewing THEM just as much as THEY are interviewing YOU. This goes for phone or in-person interviews as well.

When they ask you an oddball question or two over the phone, don't freak out if you don't know the answer right away. They usually want to hear you walk yourself through the question and answer. Put yourself in their shoes, wouldn't you want to listen to someone respond and tell you HOW they got to that conclusion instead of just "the answer is B"? I say take these phone interviews by the horns and show them what you're made of!

The other advice I can give you for phone or face-to-face interviews is to go in with who you are. Tell them "i don't know" when you don't, tell them more than they ask on things that you do know. If you go in and tell them exactly what your skills are, your experiences, where you want to go, all 100% truth... then you've done your job. There's nothing more that you can do. The other benefit to this is that if they do decide to hire you and if for some reason that job seems daunting... you will know they decided that YOU are what they're looking for. In other words, they know your downfalls and your benefits and still chose you.

If they didn't go with you? Then the position didn't align with your skills or the company didn't align with who you are... this is also out of your hands.

My point here: Go into ANY interview with confidence. Know what you know, admit what you don't. <--- plain and simple :D

Oh and one more thing. I learned this a long time ago at my first IT job: People can hear smiles over the phone. No joke.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    The more you do them the more you will get comfortable. I was the same way as the OP at one point until I realized that I need to display confidence on the phone in order to get that face to face interview.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    f0rgiv3n wrote: »
    I say that not to brag but just to let you know that there's nothing to be nervous about! :) The biggest thing you should keep in mind when you're going into these interviews is that YOU are interviewing THEM just as much as THEY are interviewing YOU. This goes for phone or in-person interviews as well.

Oh and one more thing. I learned this a long time ago at my first IT job: People can hear smiles over the phone. No joke.

Top thing I totally agree. A lot of times they can be just as uncomfortable as you but they have done enough of these they are used to it. I just figure they know as much about me as I do about them.

And yes, you can definitely tell when someone is smiling in a phone call.
  • Options
    Kinet1cKinet1c Member Posts: 604 ■■■■□□□□□□
    For phone interviews I will always:

Use a handsfree or wired headset for the phone - it will allow you to naturally express yourself.... you will probably find yourself gesturing as normal
    Stand up - your voice carries more confidentally when you're standing as opposed to probably hunched over in a chair.
    2018 Goals - Learn all the Hashicorp products

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity
  • Options
    Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    Nice to know I wasn't the only one with such problems.
  • Options
    ratbuddyratbuddy Member Posts: 665
    I've had a few phone interviews lately, and was surprised at how well I did. The key? Practice.. but not practice interviews. Let me explain:

I used to be absolutely terrible on the phone. Stammering, uhming, you name it. Then, a few years back, I started taking on a more active leadership role in my online multiplayer gaming activities. Starting with a Mechwarrior modification for Crysis (MWLL) and leading into World of Tanks, I've probably put in over 500 hours of commanding a team of 12-15 people.

It has absolutely, 100% translated into real world communication skills. When you have people who are emotionally involved in the outcome, and who are looking to you for answers, you tend to develop rapid verbal reflexes. I was quite frankly surprised with the outcome of the phone interviews, until I realized I had gotten into the 'field commander' mindset while being interviewed.

I know this method is not right for everyone, but if you are into multiplayer team-based gaming at all, try stepping up into a leadership role. Be proactive, be decisive, and be approachable. You might be surprised how well you do, and how well the experience translates to real world communication.
  • Options
    Kai123Kai123 Member Posts: 364 ■■■□□□□□□□
    ratbuddy wrote: »
    I've had a few phone interviews lately, and was surprised at how well I did. The key? Practice.. but not practice interviews. Let me explain:

I used to be absolutely terrible on the phone. Stammering, uhming, you name it. Then, a few years back, I started taking on a more active leadership role in my online multiplayer gaming activities. Starting with a Mechwarrior modification for Crysis (MWLL) and leading into World of Tanks, I've probably put in over 500 hours of commanding a team of 12-15 people.

It has absolutely, 100% translated into real world communication skills. When you have people who are emotionally involved in the outcome, and who are looking to you for answers, you tend to develop rapid verbal reflexes. I was quite frankly surprised with the outcome of the phone interviews, until I realized I had gotten into the 'field commander' mindset while being interviewed.

I know this method is not right for everyone, but if you are into multiplayer team-based gaming at all, try stepping up into a leadership role. Be proactive, be decisive, and be approachable. You might be surprised how well you do, and how well the experience translates to real world communication.

I streamed on Twitch.tv for awhile and it actually helped talking about the game, what was happening and to people watching. You kinda pick up a rhythm you didn't have before if you find something like a phone interview uncomfortable.
  • Options
    instant000instant000 Member Posts: 1,745
    To echo what others have said, practice.

Also, record yourself practicing.

This allows you the opportunity to play it back, and hear how you sound.

Make corrections, and try again.

Hope this helps.
    Currently Working: CCIE R&S
    LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/lewislampkin (Please connect: Just say you're from TechExams.Net!)