Options

WGU need advice on Java courses

sanrussanrus Member Posts: 43 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi, I am currently working on general IT degree in WGU. Very soon I will start working on Java courses (TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1) and I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice in which order its better to take those and if there is any better material than the one provided by WGU. Thank you

Comments

• Options
    ShawksShawks Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I spoke with the course mentors and they said to start with the performance based (Task Stream) course(s) first. So you would do them in this order;
    TXP1, TXC1, TYP1, TYC1.
    I am in the middle of TXP1, and struggling a bit writing the Java code.
    Best of luck to you!
    Stephen Hawks
    B.S.I.T
    Started Dec 1, 2010
    Completed: EWB,BAC1,BBC1,CLC1, LAE1, INC1, LAT1, TEV1, TTV1, LUT1, QLC1, INT1, WFV1,WSV1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1 ,QMC1, QLT1,TSV1,AKV1,LWC1, LET1, ORC1, IWT1,WDV1,MGC1, TPV1, DHV1, DIV1, DJV1, C220,C221. DEGREE COMPLETED!
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @Shawks - Get Java How to Program by Deitel & Deitel - get a used copy of the sixth or seventh edition off Amazon for a few bucks: Java How to Program, 7th Edition: Harvey M. Deitel, Paul J. Deitel: 9780132222204: Amazon.com: Books
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ^^^Good advice. I also used The New Boston site and followed along with Bucky.
  • Options
    djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    I will be tackling this course as well in the coming months. Others here have also suggested getting the 'Java for Programmers 2nd Edition' book. I can't vouch for either yet as I haven't begun the course.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • Options
    Thanks for replies. I will start these courses in the beginning of October. I think I will buy this book from amazon. I hope it will cover all 4 courses.
  • Options
    MataviMatavi Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently working on TXC1 while I wait for the e-mail saying I can upload my project for TXP1 to task stream. After I finished Software Development Fundamentals I jumped into TXP1, the project class, that has all the reading and what not. I spent a few days reading and got through most of it before finally looking at the project requirements and surprisingly finished it in about half a day of working on it and a lot of google'ing to figure out why something wouldn't work. (I'm still chuckling over having a recursion issue that just needed a break statement but spent like 2 hours figuring that out.)

I've also read a lot of people suggesting Java for Programmers, but I haven't gotten it yet so I was a little worried about the course provided book, but truthfully it's not that bad.

I'd definitely check out lydna.com which you should have a subscription to through wgu. When I was having trouble with the book for C# for software dev fund I asked here and someone recommended it and I found it extremely useful. I personally didn't like the ones for java, however Simon Allardice has a few "Foundations of Programming" courses on there that are REALLY good that I highly recommend. At the very least Foundations of Programming: Object-Oriented Design should pair well with TYP/TYC.
    WGU IT - Software
    Start date: 1/1/13
  • Options
  • Options
    Just a little update. I started working on TXP1 this yesterday. It is actually pretty easy project. I found Java to be very similar to C# (MTA Software Development class). After watching about 40 videos of newboston's tutorials, I started doing the project and finished in less than 2 hours. Of course I don't know if its a pass yet, but everything seems to be working fine.
  • Options
    Completed the TYP1 project today - I still have another couple of weeks before my new term starts so I can submit it to Taskscream. Knowing myself, I'll be spending the next 16 days with diminishing returns, making inconsequential changes to minutiae! icon_lol.gif