Options

Didnt get the job :(

So I went for an interview for a job I really wanted last week. Got the call this week that they went with another applicant. Anyways another job came up with the same company that I applied for. Should I contact the interviews and thank them for the interview about the job I didn't get and ask what I can do to improve my interview skills.
WGU Complete: September 2014

Comments

• Options
    SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    Did you send them a thank you after the interview? I only ask because some people know to do this, but I've spoken to some that don't. If you might be interviewing with them again, I'm not sure if I would ask how to improve your interview skills. You can see what others think though.

If there is one thing I learned from my father, who is a fairly successful electronics engineer, it is to prepare, impress them in the interview, send a thank you letter, and thenmove on to the next one. You can continue to check in/follow up, but don't get caught waiting for a job. Even if you think you have the job, it can always be taken away from you until you actually start. If they want to hire you, then you will hear from them. At worst, you get a few extra interviews in.

You'll land one soon!
  • Options
    FloOzFloOz Member Posts: 1,614 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Live and learn. Don't take it to heart that you didn't get the job. Take what you learned from this interview and move onto the next one.
  • Options
    CrikeyCrikey Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Unfortunately, rejection is part of the process. You have to be thick skinned, but not thick headed. Personally, I wouldn't ask them, but I would research on how best to interview. There's a ton of stuff out there (I just went through this 6mos ago).

The more you interview, the better you get at it. Good luck.
  • Options
    colemiccolemic Member Posts: 1,569 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Agree w/ the others - sending a nice thank you note will pay more dividends in the long run, than asking for fdeedback on interviewing skills... and if you think about it, you are still in the interview process. Sending a nice, professional thank you note could make all the difference and work in your favor for the job you just applied for.
    Working on: staying alive and staying employed
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    You are not always the best candidate. Brush it off, but review everything about this job and interview. Then focus on the next.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Keep knocking someone will open one day its not the end of the world, sometimes disappointment/rejection/failure is the best thing that could ever happen to a person this happens to most of us, you just have to move on and never throw in the towel but for now it's back to the drawing board, i promise you will get stronger
  • Options
    TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I normally thank them after my interview is over and move on, don't need to send any letters, I know it's a nice gesture and all, but personally I don't see the point. If you made a good impression, they'll keep you mind, even if you don't get that particular job, you might get another in the same company.

In the past I've acted as a technical resources for interviews when hiring future IT pros to join my team, and I can tell you those that pass good interviews, all leave a good impression on the employers, so thank you letters don't really add much. But some might disagree, I've heard many times even from recruiters that sending thank you letters should be part of the interview process, I just never saw the point and never had any issues finding jobs.
  • Options
    pixa241pixa241 Member Posts: 207
    Thanks guys. I did send a thank you letter and one of the interviews actually requested to connect with me on linkedin the day after the interview. I guess ill just learn from this interview and use it on my next.
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    That's a good sign. Stay positive.
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    Yeah and I actually got a call today for another IT position with a medical center next monday so well see how it goes.
  • Options
    SteveFTSteveFT Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 149
    TheProf wrote: »
    I normally thank them after my interview is over and move on, don't need to send any letters, I know it's a nice gesture and all, but personally I don't see the point. If you made a good impression, they'll keep you mind, even if you don't get that particular job, you might get another in the same company.

In the past I've acted as a technical resources for interviews when hiring future IT pros to join my team, and I can tell you those that pass good interviews, all leave a good impression on the employers, so thank you letters don't really add much. But some might disagree, I've heard many times even from recruiters that sending thank you letters should be part of the interview process, I just never saw the point and never had any issues finding jobs.

I'm glad that it has worked out for you. Every hiring manager is different. I wouldn't want to potentially lose out on a job because the hiring manager doesn't think that I care enough, or show enough initiative, to thank him/her for the interview. I certainly don't think it could hurt.

Whenever possible, I try to send out a thank you via email 24-48 hours after the interview.
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,566 Mod
    Don't worry about it! I've been through worse. Imagine your dream company flies you overseas for a face-to-face interview and then getting rejected? It happened with me ;) Don't stress it. Keep up the hard work
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pixa241 wrote: »
    Yeah and I actually got a call today for another IT position with a medical center next monday so well see how it goes.

Good luck!!!
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Don't sweat it! If I had a dollar for every job I didn't get I could probably pay my cell phone bill. Always send a thank you note, a lot of people don't and sometimes it could be what makes the difference. One interview was what stopped me from getting a support job with Google. Three hour long phone interviews and each one was highly rated. Have me travel to the NYC office and I nail two interviews (one via teleconference and one in person). Next guy comes in and high stresses the interview. Each step he'd say "nope that didn't work" or "no you don't have anyone you can call". Finally, as pre-planned I suspected, his boss walks in, they talk for about 2 minutes, and he leaves. His boss says there is an emergency and I was done for the day. Week later I get the call and the recruiter basically said I bombed. Live and learn.
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Don't sweat it! If I had a dollar for every job I didn't get I could probably pay my cell phone bill. Always send a thank you note, a lot of people don't and sometimes it could be what makes the difference. One interview was what stopped me from getting a support job with Google. Three hour long phone interviews and each one was highly rated. Have me travel to the NYC office and I nail two interviews (one via teleconference and one in person). Next guy comes in and high stresses the interview. Each step he'd say "nope that didn't work" or "no you don't have anyone you can call". Finally, as pre-planned I suspected, his boss walks in, they talk for about 2 minutes, and he leaves. His boss says there is an emergency and I was done for the day. Week later I get the call and the recruiter basically said I bombed. Live and learn.

Dang, that really sucks. Especially with all that time wasted. Well the interview today went extremely well. I pretty much nailed it besides one technical question, but he knew that I might not already know it based on my resume but he asked anyways. He told me that the next process involves one other person along him for an interview and a technical test. He told me the top 3 candidates would be called back for that and said that most likely I am going to be chose in those top 3 so I am really excited. The only issue is I do not know what the salary is and am really curious because right now I make 25/hr and don't want to really take to much of a pay cut, so I was wondering if I should contact them and ask or just wait it out and if I get an offer then make the decision, as I don't want to waste either of out time.
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The only issue is I do not know what the salary is
    I discuss rough salary ranges up-front. No sense wasting time on an opportunity that can't/won't work out.
    and am really curious because right now I make 25/hr and don't want to really take to much of a pay cut
    I wouldn't make a special call to ask about this. I would clarify before meeting again.
  • Options
    I discuss rough salary ranges up-front. No sense wasting time on an opportunity that can't/won't work out.

I wouldn't make a special call to ask about this. I would clarify before meeting again.

Ok so if I get the call for the next interview, should I ask about it at the interview or when they call?
  • Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Ok so if I get the call for the next interview, should I ask about it at the interview or when they call?
    I would bring it up when they call. I'm allergic to wasting time. ;)

I'd say, "Just so we're on the same page here, what's the salary range for this position?" It's possible the person calling you won't be able to answer, e.g., "I'm not sure, I'm just setting up the interview schedule!". In that case, "tentatively" setup an appointment, but ask who could answer your question, and please let you know before the interview?

This is all based on your preconditions that you make $25/hr and wouldn't be willing to take much of a pay cut. If you don't want a pay cut, but would take the job anyway for experience, skip the salary questions for now.

(I.e., focus on questions that will actually determine whether you will take this job.)
  • Options
    cknapp78cknapp78 Member Posts: 213 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Trust me, you will hear "No Thank You" more often than "You're Hired" during your IT career. I've been an independent consultant for over 5 years now and I typically have about 3 months of downtime per year when I am constantly interviewing whether over the phone or in person.

Rule #1 - Don't take it personally.
    Rule #2 - Always be interviewing. I try to schedule as many interviews or phone calls in a week as possible. It makes your day go faster when you are out of work.
    Rule #3 - Don't let it get you depressed. Try to find someway to alleviate your stress. Believe me, I have been there and your depression will show in your interview style.

Bottom line - keep at it. Everything will click and line up eventually.

Corey
  • Options
    I would bring it up when they call. I'm allergic to wasting time. ;)

I'd say, "Just so we're on the same page here, what's the salary range for this position?" It's possible the person calling you won't be able to answer, e.g., "I'm not sure, I'm just setting up the interview schedule!". In that case, "tentatively" setup an appointment, but ask who could answer your question, and please let you know before the interview?

This is all based on your preconditions that you make $25/hr and wouldn't be willing to take much of a pay cut. If you don't want a pay cut, but would take the job anyway for experience, skip the salary questions for now.

(I.e., focus on questions that will actually determine whether you will take this job.)

Yes according to the interview the job sounds really awesome and I really am looking forward to it. And I am willing to take a pay cut if needed but I don't want to go from 25 an hour to 15 either. I also do want the experience so hopefully the pay is not too bad. What are people general salaries for anyone that works in the IT department for hospitals/medical centers. Maybe people that actually work there might be able to answer this since this IT position is above helpdesk.
  • Options
    almosttherealmostthere Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I would put a position like that in the 40k range, but that can vary depending on the hospital/area/position/etc. I would think it should be close to your 25/hr.
  • Options
    Cool. if its anything from 19 and above i will still be ok so hopefully i get a chance at this job since I have been having bad luck.