Options

ICND 1 100-101 Passed! Need help with the next step

taltal13taltal13 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi All,

So I went into studying for certification pretty blind, not knowing ANYTHING. Side note, I'm 35, making a career change from 10 years in Real Estate. I took the exam the first time a month ago and got a 766. Needless to say a bit disappointed but hunkered down, studied my a$$ off and got an 894 yesterday. I was hoping for a little bit higher, but I'll take it for sure. Already got my Cisco email and all within a day.

Anyway, so right now I'm looking for a way to get a job in the field while studying for ICND 2. I would gladly take an internship for a couple months also just to get my feet wet and in the door. I'm in NYC and have no real idea where to start looking. I've been looking on job sites/craigslist/etc. but everyone seems to want some sort of experience.

I'm looking for some guidance, help, referrals, a mentor, anything.

Looking forward to hearing from all of you.

-Tal

Comments

• Options
    bbarrickbbarrick Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Any military experience? If so, even otherwise, look at state jobs. I got a degree in IT years ago, I'm the same age as you now but always had something getting in the way of an IT career. I was in the oil field and looked on the states web site and found a job taking care of computers at a VA home. So, I took a major pay cut and started doing what I always wanted to do mainly for the experience. I'm studying for the CCENT right now. But with my degree and because my state has a law requiring them to hire vets over non vets if they can do the job I was able to get my foot into the door.
  • Options
    gadav478gadav478 Member Posts: 374 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would continue to post resumes and apply for jobs, regardless if you have the experience needed. Some companies just want to know that you are teachable. Every CCIE/CISSP/veteran started out with NO experience, education or certs. It starts from somewhere.

Withthat said: I would be as realistic as possible though. Hardly anyone starts at the top, it's through hard work that we get to where we want to be!

Good luck and in time, you'll be posting about your first gig in IT!
    Goals for 2015: CCNP
  • Options
    I spoke to a recruiter today and she told me try looking into basics like a Microsoft certification or A+ OR N+. Do you guys agree?
  • Options
    JLAW904JLAW904 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Tal, I'm 25 and have no real IT work experience and that's pretty much the path I'm going on to get my foot in the door. I got my A+ and N+ and it helped me get my first IT interview for tech support for the county schools. Waiting to hear back now. I'll be taking the CCENT in Oct/Nov, and the CCNA in Dec/Jan. Hopefully then I can land a job I really want.

I'm also slowly studying for the Linux+ at the moment (more for the fun of it), no idea when I'll be ready. After the CCNA, I also want an MCSA cert so I'll be really well-rounded. From there, once I get some actual experience I'll decide on a higher specialization to work towards whether it be something like CCNP Security, CCNP Voice, etc...
  • Options
    IsmaeljrpIsmaeljrp Member Posts: 480 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you don't have a degree in IT, I can see why they might suggest getting A+ and N+ or MS desktop certs. You learn a lot of fundamentals of IT in general and it proves you know your stuff at least on the basics. I would say the Comptia certs are great theory and learning and basic practical application, where Microsoft and Cisco certs are much more practical and lead into advanced knowledge further down the road.

If you have no degree or prior experience in anything IT, I'd probably suggest at least A+. Not so much N+ as you have the CCENT which is better. All the N+ does is introduce you to a lot of things networking in general. Sort of like : This is a server, this is a router, this is a network. Not a lot of implementation with that test, although I have browsed some of the material from the 005 exam and they have improved on that compared to past exams.
  • Options
    Which MS Cert do you guys think I should be pursuing?

Friend of mine who is a high up IT at a popular music streaming site says skip the A+ and N+ and just go get a MS Cert....thoughts?