Options

Interview: QA Test Lead

So it seems I will have my first computer related job interview. Does anyone have experience in quality assurance? The skills required involve black and white box testing, automated and manual testing, SDLC, and relational databases (MSSQL, Oracle). I don't have any experience, although I have taken a course on database management systems in college. Is there anything I should know before I go to the interview?

Comments

• Options
    NetworkVeteranNetworkVeteran Member Posts: 2,338 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Interview: QA Test Lead
    First, if a company is hiring someone with zero experience as a QA test lead, that's a yellow flag. Such a position is ideally and almost always filled by someone with a degree and years of experience.
    The skills required involve black and white box testing,
    I'd begin by reading up on the meanings of common test terminology. White/grey/black box is a good start. The more ideas you have, the better your ability to figure out the optimal tests for this particular product.
    automated
    You might brush up on Python, Perl, TCL, or Ruby.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Part of my role includes quality assurance and testing. Honestly it really depends how deep they want to go. I find myself writing a lot of queries to check the integrity of the data. We as a team look for variance and deviation in data. We have our baseline set to 5% change, if the query sees anything higher than 5% it flags it and then we do a deep dive into the record to see why it flagged. We also run duplicate checks and other "health" checks on the data. Tool sets I use a lot, Excel, Access, MS SQL, and some other one off programs specific to my industry. I would probably focus 50% on relational database and 50% of SDLC. (This is just a guess, but the last thing you want to do is spread to thin)
  • Options
    Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I am in a test role now, with no prior experience. Attention to detail and documentation skills are key
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark