Options

Need help setting up an email prior to applying.

notheorynotheory Member Posts: 31 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

Because English isn't my native language, I would really really very much appreciate any help with this.
following situation....

I work in a very large company with different IT departments. Now a job has been posted in a different IT department (Systems) than I'm currently working in.
The thing is, it is advertised as a level 6 pay-grade which is one pay grade too high than what I would be able to successfully apply for (I don't want to go in to details why that is, but I have been working here long enough to know).
But I want to send the team lead who would get my application an email prior to applying. Reasons are:
1. I know him and he knows me.
2. I know from an internal source within that team, that they have talked about hiring a level 5 pay-grade guy instead of a level 6 (even though posted a level 6 job), which I would perfectly fit in.
3. I myself know I'd be a perfect fit because I know that they are looking for someone long term who is motivated to learn new stuff and who they can train up and one who will grow within the team. Now you don't know me, but I really study hard in my free time and I would study even harder if I'd be able to use my learned skills in my job which I could if I'd get into the other Systems.
4. I just got my CCNA and Security+ this year, and I know (also from the internal source) that they will have to get someone trained for vmWare virtual networking eventually which I would love to do, honestly that is exactly what I want to do.

So...long story short, any suggestion how that email could look like? It should include that I'm willed to start at a lower pay-grad than advertised, that they would get a motivated and long term employee with me, who is eager to grow within the team and that although they might get applications from outside applicants with tons of Systems Admin experience I can guarantee that I won't disappoint. I also already know how our company works and am familiar with most of the IT Systems and the Network.

I do have more than 10 years of IT experience and hold a Computer Science degree, but most of my jobs were Support (Tier 2 and 3). So this would be THE opportunity for me to switch into the department I've always wanted and to start climbing the career ladder icon_cheers.gif

Thank you very much! I really don't want to screw up this email.

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Good luck in your efforts.

Personally, I would advise against sending an email. From your description, you already work in the company and you know the team lead. I would recommend that you pick up the phone and call the team lead instead. If this individual actually works in the same location as you do - then walk over and have a conversation with him or her.

If you really want the job, don't hide behind behind an email message.