Options

Question About Creating a VHD

zdxzdx Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
When you create a VHD using "disk2vhd" what drives do you need to use? For example it asked me if I would like to take a snapshot of E drive (HP tools) and G drive (recovery drives). Wouldn't I just need to get the C drive (the OS)? At my work I need to obtain a vhd from multiple computers and I'm unsure of what I need.

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    It depends what you want to do with the VHD .. If you tun it into a VM then it is unlikely you will need the HP tools and recovery partition.

But - if you leave them out, some services might fail causing the VM to be unstable etc. (for example HP services using files located on the extra drives etc.)

What I usually do is "P2Ving" all drives and then uninstall unnecessary stuff once the VM is created - basically removing HP stuff, deleting the recovery partition (if that really is just a hidden partition which is started with some F-Key after post) etc.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    zdxzdx Member Posts: 40 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The vhd files will be used to for VM. But as long as I can remove the partitions I don't need through VM then thats fine. Thank you!