Options

Career Change

fyrehawgfyrehawg Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
First time poster.

Great community here...really glad I found it.

Background. I am a 41 year old father and spouse. I currently work for Shell in emergency response. Have been in this field for 17 years. Have had a great career however I have made a decision...it's time to do what I've always wanted to do. I served in the Air Force in a highly technical field. It wasn't IT related but highly secure and technical. I've been in computers since I was a kid and can remember programming using Basic language on an Atari 5600 and running up $1000 bills on Compuserve secretly in my bedroom. Boy my folks were mad when they got that bill in the mail. LOL.

I have owned and operated my own local computer shop where we did repair and small business networking. Ran this business outside of my main job for 3 years until we were destroyed by a hurricane and shut her down. Ive always been the go to guy at work and at home when anyone has a computer issues. I have designed and maintained many professional websites over the years for many businesses and all that goes along with that. I have did work in that field on a contract bases for advertising companies. Am very familiar or was at one point with all that applies there..HTML, CSS, Flash, Databases etc...many content managment systems.You know...that guy.

My plan is to self certify in Cisco. I could use a lil help with a couple of questions...my path and general employment expectations.

I'm considering using this path:

Network+, Security+, Server+, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, CCNP Security then wherever that leads me.
My question on the path is should Server+ be in the loop there or should I kick that out? Not sure if that would help on the security side??

I've read mixed feelings about going all the way to CCNP Security. My feelings in my limited knowledge is if I go ahead and get to CCNP Security level then maybe I can expect and apply for CCNA level employment.

My issue in the career change is I currently just like most breaking in...don't really have a whole lot of experience. Could I hope for a NOC center job at a CCNA level to start? Or will I be looking at a $20,000 a year job? Or is a NOC CCNA a $20,000 a year job?? I know if done correctly a person can get the right experience and do well for themselves in this field...but I really do well for myself in my current career but it isn't something I enjoy...it was more something I've fell into to provide for the family. Sadly, I have reached a professional level and have a great base pay and with overtime make over 6 figures. However to do so...I pretty much have to live at the facility. I dont mind taking a big hit in the finance dept for a few years to build back up to a respectable level and luckily my finances are in order to where I can get by on a lot less.

Where should I place my expectations?

If I stick to this plan...with my experience...although limited basic experience...should I attempt to break in at the CCNA level?? Or will I be looking at lesser employment?

I would love to hear your opinions and get some advice from your experiences.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    fyrehawg wrote: »
    I'm considering using this path:

Network+, Security+, Server+, CCENT, CCNA, CCNA Security, CCNP Security then wherever that leads me.
    My question on the path is should Server+ be in the loop there or should I kick that out? Not sure if that would help on the security side??

I'd drop the Network+ and Server+. Concentrate on the CCNA if you are looking to land a NOC type gig. Once you get a job and start gaining experience you can progress from there. You might end up not even wanting to work in security.

For the pay it is hard to say. With zero experience you are likely going to have to take a significant pay cut to move into an entry level IT role. Even if you get on at a NOC you aren't likely to be paid very much as CCNA level is entry level in the networking world. As you know, if you stick with it and keep progressing you can turn this into a career with very high pay and job security. It doesn't happen over night though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Thanks for the quick reply!

So go right into CCNA??

I figured I could do that and not struggle too much...I just kind of figured being my low/no experience level that possibly the Net+ Sec+ would maybe pad my lack of experience and show the motivation.

So in reality a resume that says Net+, Sec+, CCENT, CCNA will help me no more than one that just says CCNA?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yes pretty much. CCNA is going to get you much more than the Net+ or CCENT so I'd suggest skipping them. If you go the two route exam for the CCNA you will earn the CCENT on the way there, but the Net+ is nothing more than an expensive detour that is unlikely to give you any competitive advantage in your job search. Sec+ is good for security related positions (and meets some DoD requirements if you ever plan working in that sector) so I'd still look into that if you feel you want to head down that route in the future. It's not likely to help you much landing a NOC job though unless you are getting into a more security centered NOC role.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    prampram Member Posts: 171
    I hope you're not thinking of quitting your current job to pursue this. You'll be starting at the bottom with a major disadvantage (your age)

You'll be competing with younger people for entry level positions who are willing to accept low pay because they have no family or mortgage to maintain. I'd also make sure you're not looking at IT through rose-tinted glasses, there's certainly no shortage of people who 'live' at their IT job.
  • Options
    Definitely not looking through rose colored glasses. When I say...LIVE at the facility I mean sometimes months at a time with no days off...14-16 hour days...and I guess on the age thing its all how you look at it. I like to look at it as gaining a mature yet still young employee that can still offer 20+ years and comes from a top notch corporate background. I think that looks better than a 20 year old pizza delivery driver. No offense to any of you out there...but we all have our stories and starting points...strengths and weakness'. I know im not the first 40ish year old to change careers and get into IT and be VERY succesful. Am I wrong??
  • Options
    CrikeyCrikey Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    fyrehawg wrote: »
    I know im not the first 40ish year old to change careers and get into IT and be VERY succesful. Am I wrong??

No, but be prepared for some rejection because of that. Thing is, if they won't hire you because of age, you don't want to work there anyway.
  • Options
    prampram Member Posts: 171
    Your age will be a factor, it is indisputable. The 20 year old delivered pizza, but that is entirely within expectations. Menial labor is a hallmark of youth.

Changing careers means the past 17 years of your life have now become a footnote on your resume. Your situation isn't unprecedented, it's actually very close to people who retire from the military in a non-technical role. They discover experience is not an objective value. The content, quality, and relevance of the experience is far more important than the duration.

It's not an insurmountable task of course, I'm just saying you're starting with a definite disadvantage. You'll need to be diligent in your studies, and far more enthusiastic in your performance. You're starting a race behind the competition, can you catch up and beat them??
  • Options
    astrogeekastrogeek Member Posts: 251 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you interested in management? From reading your background it sounds like you'd make a great manager, and an IT manager doesn't need to be as technical as their employees. My dad was in his 40s when he transitioned into IT. He had been a grocery store manager for over 20 years, but similar to your story a little bit of a geek at home, (no offense). Eventually he decided to get his BS degree and he was able to move into IT management.

I think if my dad had gone the route that most of the younger techies follow he would have essentially started completely over when he really didn't need to. I don't think that would have been the best path for him. Instead of starting completely over he just moved into another field, overall management is mostly the same in all fields - well, at least that's what I think with my 0 years of any management experience :D.

My advice is to shoot for an IT management job rather than starting from the bottom. That worked out for my dad, but grocery store management isn't as lucrative as working for an oil company so I'm sure you'll still have to take a significant pay cut, but not nearly as drastic as if you try to start from scratch as an entry level techie.
  • Options
    neo9006neo9006 Member Posts: 195
    Do not feel bad, I am going to be 41 this year and switching fields as well within the next year. I worried about that as well, but depends on where you at. I am in Houston. If I am guessing correctly I think you are well on the east side of town possibly but I could be wrong as well. I have gotten to the point yes I am at the bottom of totem pole already at my job, I have nowhere to go but up. Management might be the place as well. I did management for 7 years at a grocery store. But I guess my deal is at least I will get a bachelors degree. Hopefully that will help things a little more. Keep your head and good luck my friend.
    BAAS - Web and Media Design
    Working on A+
  • Options
    atsrogeek...wonderful post!! As is everyone elses also. That has not even entered my mind. Im glad I posted here. I have a strong managerial background stemming from the Air Force and also my current career. I think that is a strong point I could focus on. Thanks for pointing that out..i'll have to spend some time looking into those options!!

I think my issue is..at my current salary..I have pretty much reached the ceiling ..so I can expect to do the same thing (which isnt something im very excited about) for the same level pay for the next 25 years. I think I can get by for a few years with a pay cut and really apply myself into something I am passionate about and end up in the long run exceeding or at least resembling where I am now...and surely have a career i enjoy. Which.. speaking to the 20 year old pizza delivery guy..if I can surely add any advice to this conversation....don't put money in line ahead of happiness...especially where your career is concerned. Find something you love to do and do it whole heartedly.

Hence...my hopeful career change.

Thanks for the advice!!
  • Options
    yes neo9006...Im right in your neck of the woods...hopefully this will work out well for the both of us!! Glad to know Im not alone. LOL
  • Options
    IvanjamIvanjam Member Posts: 978 ■■■■□□□□□□
    @fyrehawg & @neo9006 - I am 47 and in the same boat as you guys... Still haven't landed my first IT job yet but I am finishing up a degree at WGU while getting a few certs under my belt - I am gainfully employed by a large college system so I am looking to transfer to the IT department here. If that doesn't work out, you guys will have to make room for me in Houston - I recently got divorced so I am open to relocation.
    Fall 2014: Start MA in Mathematics [X]
    Fall 2016: Start PhD in Mathematics [X]
  • Options
    NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    I just wanted to come in and encourage you guys. Keep pressing forward. There are many people out there changing careers in their 40s and 50s and because they have the benefit of life experience, determination and hard work, they do quite well.
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • Options
    brewboybrewboy Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There may be some IT management certifications out there worth looking into. Maybe ITIL? I don't know much about it though...
  • Options
    neo9006neo9006 Member Posts: 195
    I had a chance to do that and take the ITIL, but didn't that semester of school and probably regret that now. Ivan, like I think others and I have said, we just have to keep our heads up. I find that things will work out, I just need to get in the ball in my certifications. Too busy now finishing up school.
    BAAS - Web and Media Design
    Working on A+