Options

Windows 8 or Windows 7?

CDRichardsCDRichards Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi,

was wondering what the general consensus is regarding Windows 8 vs Windows 7? Currently running Win7 Ultimate and got Win8 virtualized but not played around with it yet. What do people who have used both think of them? Is it worth upgrading?

Cheers.
2013 - MTA Networking Fundamentals [x] MTA Security Fundamentals [x] MTA Operating System Fundamentals [x] CompTIA Network+ [x] CCENT [in progress] CCNA [ ]

Comments

• Options
    Asif DaslAsif Dasl Member Posts: 2,116 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I am currently running Windows 7 Ultimate because my fingerprint reader doesn't have software for Windows 8 (they were bought by Apple, so no chance I'll get to use it with Windows 8 ).

Other than that I would probably be running Windows 8, I don't hate it as much as some people seem to. But there is some truth to the saying that every second release of Windows there is something wrong with it.

Really, I think it depends on your certification goals, are you going to go with MCSA 7 or MCSA 8 or skip both entirely now that they are not Server exam requirements? You are not going to see a huge movement towards Windows 8 in the enterprise, it's mostly consumer uptake at the moment.

If you have to forked out money for VMware workstation for labbing then stick with Window 7 otherwise moving to Windows 8 and using Hyper-V could save you some money. Unless you are using VirtualBox of course!
  • Options
    Hi Asif Dasl - thank you for your comment. I've heard a few people say Win7 is FAR better but not heard any good reasons why, in fact I have heard NO good reason why Win7 is better than Win8. I'm also going for the MCSA Win8 in my spare time when I'm fed up with studying for my CCENT (harder than I thought it'd be!) Luckily I'm a mature student with the OU so can get Win8 Pro or Win8 Pro N (?) for £49.99 icon_smile.gif
    2013 - MTA Networking Fundamentals [x] MTA Security Fundamentals [x] MTA Operating System Fundamentals [x] CompTIA Network+ [x] CCENT [in progress] CCNA [ ]
  • Options
    SirbloodySirbloody Member Posts: 112
    CDRichards wrote: »
    Hi Asif Dasl - thank you for your comment. I've heard a few people say Win7 is FAR better but not heard any good reasons why, in fact I have heard NO good reason why Win7 is better than Win8. I'm also going for the MCSA Win8 in my spare time when I'm fed up with studying for my CCENT (harder than I thought it'd be!) Luckily I'm a mature student with the OU so can get Win8 Pro or Win8 Pro N (?) for £49.99 icon_smile.gif

I think one of the main reasons people "hate" Windows 8 is because they changed how it looks completly. People in general hate change so when a popular OS changes how everything looks a lot of people will be turned off by it.

I have Windows 8 on my main PC at the house. It took me a little longer to figure out how to find a few things but other than that I have not had much of an issue.
    WGU: BS-IT Security (Start Date 1 June 2013)
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
    Completed: CPV1, AXV1, DHV1 BBC1, WFV1, CLC1, CTV1, DRV1. DSV1, LAE1
  • Options
    QordQord Member Posts: 632 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've got both at home, 7 on the desktop and 8 (upgraded from 7) on my laptop (a $300 Asus). Really, I see no functional difference and no legitimate reason to not move up to 8. There's no start menu/button...but I don't see what the big deal is about that. There was a bit of a learning curve as some things are a little harder to find at first, but I think 8 is an improvement over 7. My boot time is faster, my shutdown time is faster, and I think it makes better use of resources available...it just feels a little bit quicker than when 7 was on it.

Honestly, my biggest complaint is moving startup items from msconfig to taskmgr....I play in there often, trying to optimize and get rid of "kid crap", and it gets me every time.
  • Options
    JasminLandryJasminLandry Member Posts: 601 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Sirbloody wrote: »
    I think one of the main reasons people "hate" Windows 8 is because they changed how it looks completly. People in general hate change so when a popular OS changes how everything looks a lot of people will be turned off by it.

That's so true. It's the reason why it's not "as good" as Windows 7. To me, Windows 8 is great, if not, even better than Windows 7. But if you're looking into getting a cert, I would go with Windows 7 first. It is still widely used. Companies are still even upgrading Windows XP to Windows 7. It won't be for a couple years until we see Windows 8 used more than it's predecessors.
  • Options
    @Sirbloody - you are spot on there, people are scared of change. I normally upgrade as soon as I can but I saw no need seeing as Win7 is so stable (in my opinion anyway) but have been thinking that it's the way MS are heading so might as well have a go. Also, if the new PCs and laptops come with Win8 pre-installed I might as well get to know it ready for when friends and family come asking for help lol.

@Qord - thank you, I'd have been looking for the startup item for ages if you hadn't pointed that out icon_smile.gif but I bet I'll forget by the time I download and upgrade!

@JasminLandry - my main aim is CCENT then CCNA but the 70-687 (MS Win8 config) is just a little sideline for when my brain gives up with the Cisco stuff.

@ALL - thank you for your comments icon_smile.gif All are fab.
  • Options
    @JasminLandry - my main aim is CCENT then CCNA but the 70-687 (MS Win8 config) is just a little sideline for when my brain gives up with the Cisco stuff.

If you somehow do not know the ICND1/ICND2 tests are changing this month, so be prepared for that.
    Classes Left: EUP1, BOV1, TXC1, TXP1, TYC1, TYP1, LUT1, QBT1, INC1, INT1, GAC1, HHT1, COV1, CQV1, QLT1, BVC1, RIT1, BNC1, IWC1, IWT1, DJV1, TPV1, CVV1, CJV1, CNV1, AGC1, CUV1, EUC1
  • Options
    @sirbloody - yes thank you, it's the new 100-101 I'm studying for, lots of fun but blooming hard.
  • Options
    @sirbloody - yes thank you, it's the new 100-101 I'm studying for, lots of fun but blooming hard.

Good luck with it, I plan on taking it in my next semester at WGU.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I really like Windows 8 a lot. At first I didn't care for it but once I started getting comfortable with the Windows key shortcuts it was fine.
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I really don't use my desktop for much besides gaming so even though I have a Windows 8 license I haven't felt the need/urge to upgrade.
  • Options
    @Sirbloody - good luck to you too. Hear a lot of people talk about WGU, seems a popular choice.

@N2IT I think I'll be the same with the Start button but if that's the way Microsoft are going we might as well bite the bullet and get used to it. Will be very odd though.

@tpatt100 sadly at the moment all I use my desktop for is studying these days icon_sad.gif Seem to be abusing my XBox 360 and PS3 more than normal in my 'breaks' than I used to.
  • Options
    N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    CD I use new features and old. For instance when I look for an application I just type the name in and use configure the tiles to reflect my high use applications. I like it to be honest and the flat appearance is so much nicer than the elevated button look on Win XP, Vista and 7. IMO it's a superior operating system. (My perspective is from a user)
  • Options
    @N2IT - I downloaded it last night and installed it today. If they had kept the start button on the desktop it would be perfect, but times are changing and I am enjoying it. Like you said, searching for apps is easy (not used to calling software 'apps'), will take time to get used to everything but so far so good. Which leads to my next comment......................

@Everybody - thank you for your comments, Win8 Pro installed and so far so good. Appreciate your thoughts and opinions
  • Options
    djfunzdjfunz Member Posts: 307
    Win8 FTW. If you really want to have that Win7 look, just click the Desktop tile. Also, all the Admin shortcuts you'll use are all conveniently located by pressing Winkey+X. Win8 installs and boots faster as well.
    WGU Progress - B.S. IT - Completed
  • Options
    Hi djfunz - yes, got the desktop up via the tile and aware of the Winkey + X shortcut, I'm just old fashioned and will miss the Start button for a while, either old fashioned or just plain old icon_smile.gif
  • Options
    olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ive got Windows 8 on all my devices at home.
    A few techs at work have it on their workstations too. Im using Windows 7 at work.
    A lot of improvements and like and only a few things I dont like.
  • Options
    Snow.brosSnow.bros Member Posts: 832 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am running windows8 on my machine and so far like everyone is saying it's only the start menu that is a dissapointment but i have installed pokki start menu app in PC it makes win8 look cool https://www.pokki.com/ or IObit Start Menu 8 for Windows 8 Free download, Bring Windows 8 Start Menu back and i think win8 is only suitable for your home desktop or your own laptop.
  • Options
    srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I don't know what some of you guys are smoking, but I'll have some too please. icon_lol.gif

I use Windows 8.1 preview on my laptop at home. It is not a touchscreen. It was only after I installed the 3rd-party Start8 software that this OS became actually usable/tolerable. Now I like it more than Windows 7.

I refuse to put up with Metro, it is garbage for non-touchscreen users. (Thankfully Start8 prevents me from entering the Metro interface) The fact that Microsoft doesn't allow desktop users to disable it is ridiculous. It's literally two operating systems thinly joined together: one for touch-screen mobile devices and one for traditional desktop users. The problem is, desktop users keep getting ripped out of their desktop experience and thrown into Metro constantly. I DON'T WANT IT, GET IT THE **** OFF MY SCREEN!

We had an IT meeting at work and someone mentioned (as a joke) if we had any plans to upgrade all of our machines from 7 to 8. Then the whole room erupted in laughter. Yeah, it's that bad.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Options
    almosttherealmostthere Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    7 at work, 8 at home. "Metro" is annoying for sure, but the rest of 8 is fine.

I am interested to see how the transition goes from 7 to 8 at a medium sized company! Not too pretty I would think!
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I only just bought a new laptop which naturally comes with WIn8 and touchscreen. I didn't like it initially but I must say, I am getting used to it.. I tend to use the touchscreen more and more - especially when browsing ...

I still don't get why the Metro interface is on Server 2012 and cannot be disabled.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Did Windows 8.1 allow you to group applications in Metro? I just didn't like how 8 would just sprawl all your stuff across more and more tiles.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I personally think Windows 8 is garbage and over the last year or so I have lost count of similar feedback from customers and people who I support and have lost count of the amount of people who have downgraded from 8 back to either 7 or XP.

I knew it would be garbage from the start that's why Microsoft are rectifying the issues with 8.1 which here is another prediction I also think it is going to suck. I currently run Windows 7 Ultimate does everything I need have no need or incentive to try Windows 8 again.

I'm sure it's a different from the Surface Pro / Tablet perspective but again I have no need for these devices, I would go for a Nexus

It seems the tides are changing and Microsoft are not the dominant force they used to be better start brushing up on your NIX skills :)

Microsoft Kill Shots: How IBM/Linux Deals the Latest Blow to Redmond Empire - Forbes
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "